The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

Aye, but he was alright at Hibs, nigh on a decade ago, and that was in the top league. Blinkers are not an optional extra when it comes to Scottish sports journalism.

Same would inevitably go for Lambert, who was also serially shite with us :D 

13 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

What we need is a "St Mirren minded" manager who has shown they can not only survive in the top division but also thrive in it.

So.... anyone got Steve Clark's number?

Seriously though, I can pretty much guarantee you that any "firm favourite" at the bookies will be utter fucking mince and miles away from getting the job. It's a permanent annoyance that the mainstream media and bookies have no fucking clue what's going on and just throw out names in order to bring in the money and/or clicks (depending on the origin).

No doubt people like John Hughes will be mentioned with the uneducated going, "sure he had a bad time at Rovers but he's still a good man". What these people fail to realise is that we saw Hughes go down in flames right in front of our eyes, this wasn't an indirect message that the Hindenburg might be having trouble, this was us standing directly under it and moving as flaming strips of fabric fell by our feet. It was a front row seat, not a closeted snug in the Chip. Yet, they will still tout Hughes, and still give the "but surely one bad gig can't ruin a man" line.

Hughes in his last season at ICT and recently Raith I think he started believing all the press articles written about him. No one can take the over achieving at ICT away albeit in a time when one of the ugly sisters were out the league in which many clubs did over achieve.

There is a decent manager in there, no one can deny him his achievements other than his ego and him running out of ideas which I think has happened at three of the clubs he managed at.

I honestly can't directly think of a favourite for the job, mentions of Hopkin but don't think he'd be favourite surely

14 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Wouldn't think so, possibly the only one might be Kyle Magennis .

Yep - Kyle and Cammy Smith spring to mind.. don't think we'd sell either, though.

30 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Same would inevitably go for Lambert, who was also serially shite with us :D 

I doubt Lambert would take the job, no matter the money involved, so that's that one sorted!

18 minutes ago, MrDust said:

There is a decent manager in there, no one can deny him his achievements other than his ego and him running out of ideas which I think has happened at three of the clubs he managed at.

I honestly can't directly think of a favourite for the job, mentions of Hopkin but don't think he'd be favourite surely

I think there was, he's now just a parody of himself. As for favourites? depends on who you ask; the uneducated bookies, the blinkered old pals act of the pundits or the fans. For the fans, I'd say Neilson is the favourite just now. I'm not entirely sold on that.

15 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

With Jack Ross gone will he look at taking any players with him? 

League One is definitely not that far off the level we are at, so considering he'll know the wages I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't interested in a couple. There is quite a player backlog at Sunderland and he needs to shift them out first before bringing in others. Players like Smith (Liam, the Hearts player who was on loan with us) and McAllister I would expect to be on his radar but maybe not quite yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cheeky wee loan deal for Morgan too!

17 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Paul McGinn signing confirmed.

It's a bit shitty joining a club when the manager goes, but that said he's re-joining a club that has his brother as the captain so perhaps not such a downer.

5 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

Yep - Kyle and Cammy Smith spring to mind.. don't think we'd sell either, though.

Thank God their in contract however I can see Jack wanting a couple of familiar faces on the park he can trust Stephen McGinn is a very good captain and reads the game very well passes the ball like no other in the team. Just saying. 

Thank God their in contract however I can see Jack wanting a couple of familiar faces on the park he can trust Stephen McGinn is a very good captain and reads the game very well passes the ball like no other in the team. Just saying. 

I'd be more comfortable with that now we've signed Paul McGinn. Everyone knows St. Mirren must have at least one McGinn in the squad or the world will implode.

In all seriousness McGinn could do okay in League 1, but I reckon Ross will be looking to sign players he thinks will do well beyond that. Magennis possibly as he has got better and better with each passing week.

I'd be surprised if he took many, if any, players from St. Mirren

As I said above, there are a lot of players at Sunderland who cost a lot, have a high wage and have not fitted in resulting in them being stuck out on loan or training with youth. Those players need shifting on long before Ross looks at St Mirren players.

With the exception of his phenomenal spell at Norwich, Lambert’s managerial record is patchy at best. He’s going the way of Coyle, he’s just a few years behind.

There’s not a chance he’ll take it anyway. He was managing in the Premiership last season and will probably fancy his chances of getting a job in the Championship or a good League One club. He won’t be in any rush to take a job like ours, regardless of any emotion he has for the club or Fitzy.

And before anyone mentions Steve Clarke, he hadn’t been a manager for the best part of two years before he went to Killie (and his last job was in the Championship) and was probably quite keen to get back into work. I’d argue the position Killie we’re in gave him a far greater opportunity to restore his reputation than ours would for Lambert. We’re almost certainly going to be fighting relegation and him having another battle to beat the drop on his CV won’t look that good - and it’ll look even worse if we go down.

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

With the exception of his phenomenal spell at Norwich, Lambert’s managerial record is patchy at best. He’s going the way of Coyle, he’s just a few years behind.

There’s not a chance he’ll take it anyway. He was managing in the Premiership last season and will probably fancy his chances of getting a job in the Championship or a good League One club. He won’t be in any rush to take a job like ours, regardless of any emotion he has for the club or Fitzy.

And before anyone mentions Steve Clarke, he hadn’t been a manager for the best part of two years before he went to Killie (and his last job was in the Championship) and was probably quite keen to get back into work. I’d argue the position Killie we’re in gave him a far greater opportunity to restore his reputation than ours would for Lambert. We’re almost certainly going to be fighting relegation and him having another battle to beat the drop on his CV won’t look that good - and it’ll look even worse if we go down.

I'm not sold on the idea but he's got a win record of just under 40% over his career. There are certainly worse records out there.

Those stats would suit us just fine.

Hughes in his last season at ICT and recently Raith I think he started believing all the press articles written about him. No one can take the over achieving at ICT away albeit in a time when one of the ugly sisters were out the league in which many clubs did over achieve.

Hughes was a great coach for us. He took a solid top six team and turned them into the team that came 3rd and won the cup. He made a few additions but he got us to that by making the players currently at the club even better.

After that season the squad started to break up and he signed a load of players that weren’t good enough. He also through his toys out of the pram and successfully managed to get himself sacked.

In essence if you have a good team and want a decent season he wouldn’t be that bad a shout imo (in my opinion), however for building for the next few years and trying to stay in the league avoid him like the plague

Can’t believe what some on the black and white army are saying, John Kennedy the Celtic coach ffs, is it nod bad enough that the bookmakers are falling over themselves to punt random ex old firm players with f**k all managerial experience.

54 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I doubt we’ll see him back, now that his pal Fowler is away to Sunderland with Jack Ross.

Agree taking a long time to think about it ,  his CV will look good but he did not score a lot of league goals in a team with attacking football. Not knocking the lad works his ass off and gives you 100%. I' not bothered one way or another if he stays or goes. We were going to have an anouncment for two players one dropped out wonder if it was him.