The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Anyway moving on from the Dunfermline Duo, I see there was some sort of hold up in the Sunderland announcement today.

Kyle saying the announcement will definitely be tomorrow.

Been unable to get any further info today from the club but the board do have a plan for this eventuality and so I expect them to move fairly swiftly to replace Jack.

Went on Twitter once. It was shite. Can anyone explain why normal people would want to go there when there are at least 3 St Mirren related forums I know of? Why doesn't someone start another one, or two, or three?

It really is good stuff in here isnt it.... Anticipation of the next post is helping me along with this nightshift.
I'll get today's fun started then [emoji8].

Hopkin favourite for the vacancy according to the Daily Ranger.

Discuss...

Personally i think the guys style of football with Livi would make Gus blush. Does Hopkin have any other style? He bases his teams on the way he was as a player.

I'd be astonished if Hopkin was our next manager. It's got to be Neilson, surely?

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

According to the DR Hopkin is the favourite for our job.

Neilson is the popular choice amongst our fans.

I just want this summer over with now tbh emoji852.png.

(Quoted from the Ton thread - felt more appropriate to respond here).

I wouldn't be opposed to Hopkin (as long as people stop calling him Hopkins). He'd be a decent shout to get us established in the top flight again. Next year might need to be a shitfest - and after that we can think about playing more attractive football. It was a couple seasons of playing Gusball that led to an extended spell last time up, and the eventual signings of the likes of Dorman.

I'd still just about prefer Neilson though.

(Edit - just saw your post on this thread :P )

Edited by Coventry Saint

My take on this? Div should stop biting, and that Grant lad seems capable of starting a fight in an empty room. With that in mind... onto Jack Ross.

Do we think the Sunderland thing is completely nailed on? With Barnsley I knew he wouldn't go, with Ipswich it looked a possibility and with Sunderland (considering the context) I thought it would be too much of an opportunity to knock back. Now though, with the delay, I'm not so sure with that. I'd say the odds that he moves are much greater, the "seal has been broken" as it were and a MotY speaking to all sorts of clubs will continue too attract interest. However, the Sunderland chairman was really really adamant Ross was the man, which I suppose can only be considered a compliment, but as permission to speak to him was granted a few days ago and with the chairman's effective "the job is yours if you want it" comments it's interesting we haven't seen more movement.

At this moment I still think he's gone, and I wish him all the best even if the Sunderland thing looks a bit dodgy with tapping, but does anyone think the Sunderland thing is not going to happen?

6 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

At this moment I still think he's gone, and I wish him all the best even if the Sunderland thing looks a bit dodgy with tapping, but does anyone think the Sunderland thing is not going to happen?

I've seen a few things on Twitter - from Sunderland fans as well - to the same effect. I just think it seems so far gone that it must be happening. Sunderland's new owner would lose a bit of instant cred if that were to happen on his first week in post.

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

No thanks.

Previously won the league that Jack Ross is being recruited to win. Lots of good contacts, young, ambitious - stuck his hat in for the Scotland job... I'd definitely give him an interview.

If you can face clicking on the Daily Heil, here's the link (with zero quotes, obviously.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5769215/Gary-Caldwell-keen-speak-St-Mirren-managerial-vacancy.html

Also, did anyone see the Sol Campbell rumours that were flying around Twitter yesterday :lol::lol:

Edited by Coventry Saint

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Previously won the league that Jack Ross is being recruited to win. Lots of good contacts, young, ambitious - stuck his hat in for the Scotland job... I'd definitely give him an interview.

If you can face clicking on the Daily Heil, here's the link (with zero quotes, obviously.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5769215/Gary-Caldwell-keen-speak-St-Mirren-managerial-vacancy.html

I’d take Hopkin or Neilsen before Caldwell tbh. He’s probably looking for silly money that you only get down the road. 

4 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

Daily Record say Hopkin.

The Sun say McIntyre.

Neilson a stick on, then! 

Something like that. Those papers are about the least credible rags for rumours outside Glasgow. I'd sooner believe the BBC gossip page.

I said this on the Morton forum but clubs really are doing a good job not to let any names out at all to the potential Lee Wallaces. No one has had any informed guesses about who our new manager might be.

Folk get too caught up in the style a manager employs. The main style Hopkin seems to have is winning games and I doubt any Livingston fans are concerned with the manner in which they go about it.

With the budget he had would David Hopkin have led Livi to second place and promotion if he was trying to make £300 p/w players pass it out from the back?

I'd say being pragmatic is a pretty good quality for a manager. Whether he's right for St Mirren is another question altogether. A new squad and no top division experience would make him a risk. I think the shouts on Robbie Neilson seem sensible.

Just now, GiGi said:

Something like that. Those papers are about the least credible rags for rumours outside Glasgow. I'd sooner believe the BBC gossip page.

I said this on the Morton forum but clubs really are doing a good job not to let any names out at all to the potential Lee Wallaces. No one has had any informed guesses about who our new manager might be.

The BBC gossip page takes their rumours and stories from these rags.

24 minutes ago, Radford said:

Folk get too caught up in the style a manager employs. The main style Hopkin seems to have is winning games and I doubt any Livingston fans are concerned with the manner in which they go about it.

With the budget he had would David Hopkin have led Livi to second place and promotion if he was trying to make £300 p/w players pass it out from the back?

I'd say being pragmatic is a pretty good quality for a manager. Whether he's right for St Mirren is another question altogether. A new squad and no top division experience would make him a risk. I think the shouts on Robbie Neilson seem sensible.

Pretty much agree with all of that, there is a caveat that style will have an underlying effect no matter the club and budget, but you are right to say you shouldn't be looking to bring in a manager simply based on the style he had with his current/previous club; that style was as likely to be implemented due to club constraints than a personal philosophy.

When it's at the top level you could maybe argue the semantics of style; for example Guardiola vs Mourinho, or Klopp vs Pochettino. I feel those particular arguments are somewhat in the distance from the Scottish leagues.