The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Cue the "Jack Ross cuts short family holiday to take the reigns at ............. "  headlines  . 

Not saying that won’t happen. Can’t really blame Jack for wanting to further his career at a bigger stage. This kind of opportunity may not come along that often for him. He’s a man in demand at the moment & there’s not much we can do about it.

6 hours ago, kanyewestbank said:

St Mirren F.C are becoming an afterthought in all of this,the patsies playing nice while the star of the show has talks,interviews and family holidays .

I'm glad we avoided this when we had Craig and Rae in charge.

In fact, let's see if we can avoid future similar scenarios by making any future managerial appointment so shite that no other club will ever have any interest in them.

Sorted.:thumsup2

Edited by FTOF

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

In fact, let's see if we can avoid future similar scenarios by making any future managerial appointment so shite that no other club will ever have any interest in them.

Don't think any of us are against Jack stepping up the ladder or any future manager. This is a  very important time of the season for planning JJ has already posted potential signings are holding off as they dont know who the manager is going to be. If I. T. don't take Jack in come Sunderland  who may want to interview him that's another week or two potentially wasted.  We are making a huge step forward that needs the man in charge to sell himself and our club. 

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Don't think any of us are against Jack stepping up the ladder or any future manager. This is a  very important time of the season for planning JJ has already posted potential signings are holding off as they dont know who the manager is going to be. If I. T. don't take Jack in come Sunderland  who may want to interview him that's another week or two potentially wasted.  We are making a huge step forward that needs the man in charge to sell himself and our club. 

I'm afraid that's the price of success when you have an outstanding manager, with the potential to go very far in the game.

14 hours ago, AW saint said:

Lampard also interviewed. 

They'll be in the Champions League soon if they appoint him as we all know that such a manager can attract big players with no need for transfer fees or wages

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No chance he takes the Sunderland job surely, an absolute mess of a club with players earning over £40k a week on long contracts.

Wouldn’t that make him an ideal guy to sort out the mess? Ex players’ rep, sorted out you guys in no time - he might see it as an interesting challenge  but potentiallly stratospheric should he get it right. 

15 hours ago, FTOF said:

That is our usual policy

If JR was going to be offered the Ipswich job then it would have all been done and dusted by now. 

The fact is that Lampard and another couple of big names are ahead of him in the running. JR and Paul Hurst will be 3rd or 4 th choice by now. Hopefully we get something official from the club to clarify his position soon as possible, allowing us to get on with preparation for next season.

Edited by glenburn bud

19 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Wouldn’t that make him an ideal guy to sort out the mess? Ex players’ rep, sorted out you guys in no time - he might see it as an interesting challenge  but potentiallly stratospheric should he get it right. 

I think they're too far gone, and it'll take the best part of a decade/absolute shit tonnes of money to sort them out. The whole club needs rebuilt. 

That last bit maybe appeals to Ross, but it's English football, so a bad six months will see you punted without any regard to a grander strategy. 

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

If JR was going to be offered the Ipswich job then it would have all been done and dusted by now. 

The fact is that Lampard and another couple of big names are ahead of him in the running. JR and Paul Hurst will be 3rd or 4 th choice by now. Hopefully we get something official from the club to clarify his position soon as possible, allowing us to get on with preparation for next season.

TBH I think ITFC will be having doubts regarding JR's experience at a higher level than the Scottish Championship and the fact that he's not really a "box office draw".

I agree that he's moved down the pecking order, and will only be offered the job if other potential candidates withdraw from the process.

We're in between a rock and a hard place if he stays.

As much as I am willing to give him some leeway in trying to improve his career, given what he's done for us in the past 18 months, it would be far from ideal if he threw his hat into the ring for every club that was interested in interviewing him. Long term that would be disastrous for us, and even now it is having some impact on our current recruitment for next season.

I have no idea what the solution is. Unless the Bod can get JR to agree to some sort of mutual arrangement where he rules himself out of looking elsewhere for a sustained period of time, say six months to a year, then this scenario could pop up every time a manager bites the dust.

He's obviously still interested in the ITFC post, but there must come a point where, unless he's been offered the job, he must think along the lines that he's not first choice and that does he cut and run, and focus on his current post.

Unfortunately, these are the problems that arise when you have a manager who is excellent at his job.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

TBH I think ITFC will be having doubts regarding JR's experience at a higher level than the Scottish Championship and the fact that he's not really a "box office draw".

I agree that he's moved down the pecking order, and will only be offered the job if other potential candidates withdraw from the process.

We're in between a rock and a hard place if he stays.

As much as I am willing to give him some leeway in trying to improve his career, given what he's done for us in the past 18 months, it would be far from ideal if he threw his hat into the ring for every club that was interested in interviewing him. Long term that would be disastrous for us, and even now it is having some impact on our current recruitment for next season.

I have no idea what the solution is. Unless the Bod can get JR to agree to some sort of mutual arrangement where he rules himself out of looking elsewhere for a sustained period of time, say six months to a year, then this scenario could pop up every time a manager bites the dust.

He's obviously still interested in the ITFC post, but there must come a point where, unless he's been offered the job, he must think along the lines that he's not first choice and that does he cut and run, and focus on his current post.

Unfortunately, these are the problems that arise when you have a manager who is excellent at his job.

Agree with everything you say, it’s just hugely frustrating that while we all acknowledge the miraculous job that JR has done with us, we also have to be a bit selfish in regards to our clubs interests. I dont think anyone in their right mind would reasonably deny JR the chance to move on and better his own career, it’s the fact that we are in limbo while all this speculation rumbles on. It’s definitely affecting our player recruitment and it will affect season ticket sales due to the uncertainty of who is going to be at the helm. 

JR is now on holiday so it could roll on another week or so.

33 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Were the ITK posters saying it will be announced over the weekend/early next week? If that's the case its still on course for him leaving?

Or is it no longer a done deal. Wtf is going on emoji23.png

Their chairmen has said end of the month first week June according to their forums. 

1 hour ago, Sittìng on the fence said:

If the Ipswich move doesn't happen i think St Mirren should be asking Ross to agree to no more being allowed to talk to other clubs if approached , can't have this happening every couple of months.

:lol:

Thats right, it should be possible to prevent employees changing jobs when they already have one. Just  selfish entertaining a better job offer when you already have one.

It's totally unrealistic to expect that Ross states he won't talk to any other clubs for a period of time. I doubt there is anyone on this forum who would pledge to their employer that they wouldn't go for another job if said job was going to drastically increase your current salary.

It  might be an inconvenience for St. Mirren but the guy first and foremost needs to look after himself and his family. I also trust Ross to be professional enough that the team would still be prepared for games, if we're not and we're getting regularly pumped then there won't be many clubs in for him.

So unless we're advocating sacking Ross because he's talking to other clubs, then we'll just need to accept it.