The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, kanyewestbank said:

What is the latest on the Jack Ross situation ? Really can't face going on black and white army and wading through pages of shite constantly telling me what a "shrewd" man J R is .Is he going to Ipswich or what ? Heard he is currently "in talks" regarding the assistant managers job at J.D Sports in Buchanan Street

It's  improved greatly since Div started up the sinbin.  

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

Div tweeting that JR had another meeting with Ipswich today and that he’ll be announced over the weekend or Monday latest, as their man.

I heard it would be done before the weekend.

Buckle up mate.

15 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Div tweeting that JR had another meeting with Ipswich today and that he’ll be announced over the weekend or Monday latest, as their man.

Heard it's in doubt because his wife's work has offered her free lunches 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Heard it's in doubt because his wife's work has offered her free lunches 

As I said previously, IF he's offered it, he'll go. IF Ipswich dithered or delayed, he'd stay.

It now looks likely that Ipswich will show their hand and he'll be offered it this week and that will be that. Thanks for the hard work Jack, always will be a legend.

Most important thing now is that we act quickly. In a strange way, the Barnsley job vacancy may have turned out to be good thing, as I've heard Gordon Scott already had a contingency plan in place had Jack gone at that point and presumably that contingency plan is still available which does point to Robbie Neilsen.

28 minutes ago, McG said:

Jack is away, i did hear it would be done before weekend but maybe start of next week.

Believe Gordon Scott already knows who he wants to replace him.

Robbie Neilson and Stevie Crawford?

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Most important thing now is that we act quickly. In a strange way, the Barnsley job vacancy may have turned out to be good thing, as I've heard Gordon Scott already had a contingency plan in place had Jack gone at that point and presumably that contingency plan is still available which does point to Robbie Neilsen.

As an outsider Neilson would be interesting. Never rated him at all at Hearts, as his success was built on a very Levein type mantra, and the current Hearts team plays exactly the same pragmatic style, which makes you think. 

His signings at Hearts were pretty poor aswell, which is a worry for you if you're looking at a rebuild. 

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

As an outsider Neilson would be interesting. Never rated him at all at Hearts, as his success was built on a very Levein type mantra, and the current Hearts team plays exactly the same pragmatic style, which makes you think. 

His signings at Hearts were pretty poor aswell, which is a worry for you if you're looking at a rebuild. 

You reckon his signings were poor? My main concern to be fair is the same, that working under a DoF he was more or less told who he was signing but Osman Sow, Zeefuik, Buaben, Ozturk, Djoum, Souttar and Kitchen were all quite good signings during his tenure.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, djchapsticks said:

You reckon his signings were poor? My main concern to be fair is the same, that working under a DoF he was more or less who was signing but Osman Sow, Zeefuik, Buaben, Ozturk, Djoum, Souttar and Kitchen were all quite good signings during his tenure.

For the top flight. Souttar was a really obvious signing, while the likes of Djoum and Cowie are solid enough but don't really stand out, Kitchen was despised by Hearts fans for being a nothing midfielder. Was Zeefuik not a Championship player for them? 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

For the top flight. Souttar was a really obvious signing, while the likes of Djoum and Cowie are solid enough but don't really stand out, Kitchen was despised by Hearts fans for being a nothing midfielder. Was Zeefuik not a Championship player for them? 

He was, yeah. But a bloody good one who could have made the step up had they got him back. Amazing how he's been out of football for over a year now and is likely about 30 stone.

Djoum is a good player with a good scoring record. I rate him. Also to be fair, Hearts fans' expectations vs reality are usually very, very far apart. I thought Kitchen was a good player.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

He was, yeah. But a bloody good one who could have made the step up had they got him back. Amazing how he's been out of football for over a year now and is likely about 30 stone.

Djoum is a good player with a good scoring record. I rate him. Also to be fair, Hearts fans' expectations vs reality are usually very, very far apart. I thought Kitchen was a good player.

A lot of my judgements are just based on their fans output, and they are a bizarre bunch. Zeefuik just looked a flat track bully who physically dominated centre halves, and who'd have struggled against more complete defenders in the top flight. 

Regardless, managers do well some places and fail others, it'll be interesting to see how Neilson gets on if it is him. 

Would expectations be lower with him than Ross? 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A lot of my judgements are just based on their fans output, and they are a bizarre bunch. Zeefuik just looked a flat track bully who physically dominated centre halves, and who'd have struggled against more complete defenders in the top flight. 

Regardless, managers do well some places and fail others, it'll be interesting to see how Neilson gets on if it is him. 

Would expectations be lower with him than Ross? 

Mine would be anyway. But I'd still hope and expect to survive given the new manager will have a full budget and can sign the players he sees fit. There's genuinely no-one out there in our price bracket that I feel could come in and have the same top to bottom impact on the club that Jack Ross did, though. There's no really outstanding talent in the lower leagues that any of us feel we *must* get. Goodwin has been mentioned in several circles but definitely not for me, at least not yet. He's taken Alloa up, granted but so did Darren Dodds last season with Brechin and no-one was battering down doors for him. Hopkin is just a no-go area for me, he's done well to get an industrial team playing industrial football but yeah....not for me.

I'm hoping there's a few left-field names out there that will prove interesting but for me Neilson ticks the boxes of the names mentioned so far. He's young enough that his reputation isn't completely shot to f**k. He's had a decent two seasons managing a Championship stoating team then going on to have a good year in the top flight and he's likely got decent contacts in the game.

He's not the dream candidate but then no-one is.

Suppose another nice scenario would be Alan Archibald if Thistle get rid. He's had a poor season but is certainly not a poor manager.

Edited by djchapsticks

None of the names mentioned are particularly exciting, but what do I know? I wanted MacPherson back rather than Ross as I thought he'd maybe grind out enough results to keep us up.

Good luck to Jack Ross, good manager and seems like a great guy too. He's certainly got the temperament to make it at a good level, hopefully he does.