The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's not even comparable considering Sunderland were a complete c**t of a club at the time and no manager with a brain cell would touch them. 

As were Barnsley, which is why Jack was quite happy to distance himself after having a chat.

Ipswich are a well run club and considerably bigger than any other club that has approached Jack until this point in time.

Good luck to Jack Ross if he does decide to go down south, or stay with you guys. What he has done in the last 18 months is nothing short of incredible and, dare I say it, he’s one of football’s good guys.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Every time Ross is linked you are all over this thread claiming everyone is deluded and he is away.

I think you're making that up m8

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think you're making that up m

Perhaps I am, you got the red dot for the deluded comment - as it's clear you don't really have much understanding of the situation - and I've red dotted you before for blatant misogyny, but from memory you were also claiming that Ross was off to Barnsley. If that's not the case then the error is on my side. The red dots however, were earned and deserved.

17 minutes ago, McG said:

Signing targets are definitely stalling at the moment due to the uncertainty over JR's future.

Can only hope we get this resolved sooner rather than later. We could miss out on key targets.

58 minutes ago, McG said:

Signing targets are definitely stalling at the moment due to the uncertainty over JR's future.

That's no surprise i think Jack Ross will be the bigger pull rather than the club at this moment.  hope it's resolved one way or another soon 

10 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Every time Ross is linked you are all over this thread claiming everyone is deluded and he is away.

Random Guy knows women, Random Guy knows everything. 

The Premiership is serious stuff.  No more fantasy, no more laughs. 

25 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

I have a feeling Ross will stay having watched his interview.  Would be a complete surprise if he did mind. 

Only way he will stay is if he isn't actually offered the job, if he gets offered it then he will be offski.

18 minutes ago, McG said:

Only way he will stay is if he isn't actually offered the job, if he gets offered it then he will be offski.

I'm 50 , 50 on that now. Did you watch the press conference? Ross was talking up Scottish football you could clearly see his excitement about the challenge of the premiership and how happy he is with us that interview changed my mind that it's a forgone conclusion. Ipswich budget for next season is 2 million. Ross is a man who wants to take a club forward can that be done with 2 million ? Mate I'm hoping he stays more than anything else before watching that interview was 100% he is away not now. 

Thing is. If Ipswich dither and are waiting on someone else, Jack will almost certainly tell them he's staying put for the time being.

If there's anything that will affect his pre-season signing plans, such as targets holding off to see what he does or accepting contracts elsewhere as a result of the uncertainty, that will be that unless Ipswich come across with a firm offer, in which case, he'll likely accept. 

As we all know, JR is a very shrewd operator. I can't see him being the type of guy who will jeopardise his targets maybe going elsewhere and him going into the new season with a potentially weakened squad for the sake of a job that, lets be honest, the longer it draws out then the less likely he is to be offered.

If Ipswich are holding out for Hurst to become available and signings are holding off on Jack's decision, then it's likely he'll thank Ipswich for their interest and withdraw in order to strengthen his squad as much as possible and put himself in the frame for even more opportunities. We know he's certainly not afraid to make those decisions, nor is he short of confidence or self-belief.

I do think Jack is genuinely happy at St. Mirren but I'm not deluded enough to think he'd be staying for the undying loyalty of the club or anything. If he was offered it, he'd go. If they don't know whether he's getting offered it, he'll likely not so he can press on for the time being. For a side that need so many wholesale changes as we do to make the step up, any sort of uncertainty that lingers could potentially affect a player's decision of whether to sign on or not. He'll be aware of this and will be keen not to lose out on targets as a result of this.

Edited by djchapsticks

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Thing is. If Ipswich dither and are waiting on someone else, Jack will almost certainly tell them he's staying put for the time being.

If there's anything that will affect his pre-season signing plans, such as targets holding off to see what he does or accepting contracts elsewhere as a result of the uncertainty, that will be that unless Ipswich come across with a firm offer, in which case, he'll likely accept. 

As we all know, JR is a very shrewd operator. I can't see him being the type of guy who will jeopardise his targets maybe going elsewhere and him going into the new season with a potentially weakened squad for the sake of a job that, lets be honest, the longer it draws out then the less likely he is to be offered.

If Ipswich are holding out for Hurst to become available and signings are holding off on Jack's decision, then it's likely he'll thank Ipswich for their interest and withdraw in order to strengthen his squad as much as possible and put himself in the frame for even more opportunities. We know he's certainly not afraid to make those decisions, nor is he short of confidence or self-belief.

I do think Jack is genuinely happy at St. Mirren but I'm not deluded enough to think he'd be staying for the undying loyalty of the club or anything. If he was offered it, he'd go. If they don't know whether he's getting offered it, he'll likely not so he can press on for the time being. For a side that need so many wholesale changes as we do to make the step up, any sort of uncertainty that lingers could potentially affect a player's decision of whether to sign on or not. He'll be aware of this and will be keen not to lose out on targets as a result of this.

Have to agree Jack Ross will look after Jack Ross not to be taken as negatively  he is correct on how to play this out. 

11 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

I'm 50 , 50 on that now. Did you watch the press conference? Ross was talking up Scottish football you could clearly see his excitement about the challenge of the premiership and how happy he is with us that interview changed my mind that it's a forgone conclusion. Ipswich budget for next season is 2 million. Ross is a man who wants to take a club forward can that be done with 2 million ? Mate I'm hoping he stays more than anything else before watching that interview was 100% he is away not now. 

Jack Ross now odds on with skybet, my bet is he will be away by the end of the week. 

Hope I'm wrong.

30 minutes ago, McG said:

Jack Ross now odds on with skybet, my bet is he will be away by the end of the week. 

Hope I'm wrong.

Fuckit, I'd just started to convince myself he wasn't going. :lol:

I'd be reasonably comfortable with him going if it weren't for the apparent dearth of quality candidates to replace him. Most seem to have Neilson chalked up as number one, but if he falls through, I have no clue where we're turning after that.

I'm not that fussed on McIntyre, I think it's too soon for Goodwin, I don';t want any of the other usual names that get chucked about... so where does that leave us?

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Is McG not one of the most ITK St Mirren posters on here?

Certainly they've been pretty consistent, and while I am loath to speak for them I'd expect that if they had some crucial information they wouldn't hide it behind some claim about the bookies.

Like others if he's offered the job he's gone,  the only way he's staying is if they don't offer him it.  And if they want Hurst over Ross they'll need to wait until next weel once once the play off final is done.

One way or another I think we'd all just like to know. Good thing from Ross is he's still planning for next year. But it'll obviously impact on anyone committing to us next season.