The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Div said:

Quite.

I’ve never been, but I’m pretty sure Ipswich has schools.

I have been, it does.

Also JR earning multiples of his St Mirren salary at Ipswich would surely be enough of an incentive for his wife to temporarily disrupt her own career.

Just now, Reggie Perrin said:

I have been, it does.

Also JR earning multiples of his St Mirren salary at Ipswich would surely be enough of an incentive for his wife to temporarily disrupt her own career.

For sure. Upping sticks and moving around is part and parcel of football.

That is undoubtedly one of the downsides for those involved in the game, but at the level we are talking about here they are financially well compensated so I'm sure it's worth it!

1 hour ago, Div said:

For sure. Upping sticks and moving around is part and parcel of football.

That is undoubtedly one of the downsides for those involved in the game, but at the level we are talking about here they are financially well compensated so I'm sure it's worth it!

It is, but wouldn't be the first time managers and players have turned down moves for family reasons. Didn't Jack leave Hartlepool because of homesickness?

Not saying he won't take the Ipswich job, but it must be a fairly big consideration when you have young kids . 

59 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

It is, but wouldn't be the first time managers and players have turned down moves for family reasons. Didn't Jack leave Hartlepool because of homesickness?

Not saying he won't take the Ipswich job, but it must be a fairly big consideration when you have young kids . 

This will be a life changing move which could be a stepping stone to a mind  boggling move if successful given the money in football down south. Can't see anything other than becoming Ipswich manager he is only one hour away from flights to Glasgow from Ipswich.  I' praying we can get Robbie Neilson once this move for Ross is confirmed .  Ross having a good relationship with Scott I'm sure he will have told Scott all about Neilson who he worked under at Hearts. 

2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Can't see anything other than becoming Ipswich manager he is only one hour away from flights to Glasgow from Ipswich.

Nearest airport to Ipswich that has direct flights to Glasgow International is Stansted, 53 miles away.

So a good bit longer than "one hour away".

Ross/Ipswich:

For me the Ipswich job relies on two things; first is whether Ross is a genuine candidate - at this point I feel he's making up the numbers, second is leaving a job half done. It was more the latter that persuaded me strongly he'd not take the Barnsley job and he didn't and I believe that is still a strong motivator for him. He could go South, of that there is no doubt, I am not sure he will and in fact as the days go on I feel it's getting less and less likely.

Now, if you were to ask me what will happen next season - regardless of where we end up - I would be surprised if he's still here.

O'Hara/Holt:

Of the two I've been impressed with O'Hara but it's fair to say I haven't seen a lot of the guy. However if he did sign it would be a real coop for us, as he's been touted as interesting both sides of the OF (pinch of salt always with the red tops, of course). Maybe Celtic will buy him and immediately loan him back out, after all it's worked for us already!

Can't say I've noticed Holt much, but maybe that's not such a bad thing. You tend to get noticed if you are brilliant or dreadful, workman like consistency rarely gets attention. That said if we were to fill the team 3/4 full of consistent workman like players I wouldn't be too disappointed.

48 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I think you really need to start reading peoples messages properly before replying.

The numerous typos, lack of punctuation and general gibberish suggests he doesn't even read his own messages before hitting "submit reply".

19 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

The numerous typos, lack of punctuation and general gibberish suggests he doesn't even read his own messages before hitting "submit reply".

I don't pretend to be an Engish genius I am who I am and comfortable with it. I get it might rattle some not much I can do about that but life has been good to me in other words English has not held me back.  I try my best mate trust me. 

9 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

9 hours ago, Div said:

... if the money was so important then why did he walk away from the chance to manage Barnsley? Similar salary to Ipswich you would presume.

I do think it's more likely he'll go this time but if he does I don't think it'll be for the money.  McInnes, Neilson, Yogi, Lennon, Pressley, Stubbs almost all more experienced and successful than JR but all lasted less than 2 years down there in recent times. The big wage didn't last long.

I also think the shine is beginning to come off the English game more than just a wee bit for a number of reasons. The constant sackings being one of them.

There are more folk bigging up our game in Scotland now. McInnes turning down Sunderland had people nodding their heads and is maybe a turning point.

Sportscene on a Saturday night again please!

By the way, what was JR's managerial ambition when asked recently? Man Utd? Liverpool? Nope. Scotland job!

47 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Also directed at the Aberdeen fans who said their manager may not be seduced by Sunderland.....

It's not even comparable considering Sunderland were a complete c**t of a club at the time and no manager with a brain cell would touch them.