The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

34 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Why not? That's quite possibly what happened with Barnsley 2 months ago. Had a chat with them then said he didn't want to move.  Seemingly he was never going to take the job.

That would be a complete waste of everyone's time, including his, so I've no idea how you can believe that. 

Mrs Ross, if unpromoted, will be at the top of the classroom teacher's pay scale which is £36,840. Yes, his pay rise would supersede the immediate loss of that but they're in the top few % of earners as it is. How much cash and the ambition of one half of a relationship is enough to make you uproot your family?

Are you actually being serious?

Bit of player in gossip to take your mind of JR. Word coming out of our player of the year. Ohara and Holt have apparently signed pre contracts with you guys,both should be decent enough,Probably like most Dee's not that fussed about either,decent enough on their day but if were serious about progressing an upgrade was required. Whether we achieve that is another matter.

Edited by tallpaul

Two very good signings for you lot. Kevin Holt is a lower end top flight left back, but if you can instill a bit of confidence in him, he can come on leaps and bounds. He was our designated 'boo boy' for much of his career at Dens. He's a good steady signing for a club wanting to just survive. All the best to him.

O'Hara would sting a little bit more. A lot of Dee's won't be upset at him leaving as he is often worse than a man down at times, but he has so much potential. Loves scoring against Rangers and has the potential to make a real name for himself. Unfortunately for him, Kamara is by far our best central midfielder and we'd be as well as not playing when McGowan isn't in our current side, so he's the weak link of our midfield which we desperately need to improve upon if we are to kick on next season. I do think we'd have offered him something though so it's a wee bit of a coup!

3 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I've always been impressed with O'Hara any time I've seen him. Holt is a bit more or a strange one as Eckersley is one of our most consistent performers so he won't be guaranteed a game. Can he play right back or centre half?

Holt can play centre half if you're going for a 3-5-2, but nah, he's a LB.

7 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I've always been impressed with O'Hara any time I've seen him. Holt is a bit more or a strange one as Eckersley is one of our most consistent performers so he won't be guaranteed a game. Can he play right back or centre half?

Eckersley carries quite a few niggly ones that keep him out for a week or two at a time though.

Definitely need someone as a backup/long term replacement so Holt could well fit that mould.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Eckersley carries quite a few niggly ones that keep him out for a week or two at a time though.

Definitely need someone as a backup/long term replacement so Holt could well fit that mould.

That's true, but seems strange to leave Dundee because he's a bit part player and move to us to (possibly) be a bit part player. Maybe he'll be better than Eckersley, who knows?

I wouldn't be unhappy with either of those signings incidentally. Hopefully the next ones lined up are a centre half and right back.  

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

That's true, but seems strange to leave Dundee because he's a bit part player and move to us to (possibly) be a bit part player. Maybe he'll be better than Eckersley, who knows?

I wouldn't be unhappy with either of those signings incidentally. Hopefully the next ones lined up are a centre half and right back.  

Think it has been suggested that McGinn from Partick Thistle could be filling that berth.

53 minutes ago, tallpaul said:

Bit of player in gossip to take your mind of JR. Word coming out of our player of the year. Ohara and Holt have apparently signed pre contracts with you guys,both should be decent enough,Probably like most Dee's not that fussed about either,decent enough on their day but if were serious about progressing an upgrade was required. Whether we achieve that is another matter.

Cheers for that. There had been whispers about Holt, so that tallies up. And cast-offs from other clubs is likely to be our level in terms of transfers.

Even as a Dundee fan I think signing for St Mirren would be a great move for O’Hara.  I’m not 100% convinced about McCann’s coaching abilities and I don’t think we ever really found the right role for O’Hara.  I think Ross will develop O’Hara’s game to the next level.  Should prove to be a very good signing.

I’m not a fan of Holt but he is an honest, hard working player.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Even as a Dundee fan I think signing for St Mirren would be a great move for O’Hara.  I’m not 100% convinced about McCann’s coaching abilities and I don’t think we ever really found the right role for O’Hara.  I think Ross will develop O’Hara’s game to the next level.  Should prove to be a very good signing.

I’m not a fan of Holt but he is an honest, hard working player.

Will be difficult to do from Suffolk, tbf. :P

Going by the forum posts for potential signings, you need to tick one of these boxes to sign for Saints this summer:

Have worked with Jack Ross before

Have played for Saints before

Have worked with James Fowler before

Be from Paisley.

According to Wiki, O'Hara was born in Barrhead. Is that close enough or will we need to look elsewhere?

I’m not so sure he’ll leave.  A decent season in the top flight and a better opportunity is sure to come along.  

Will it though? Neil Lennon won the premier league with celtic numerous times yet only got a move to Bolton. Big clubs are hardly
Beating down derek mcinnes’ door. Ipswich finished 12th in the championship. This is almost certainly the biggest club that Jack Ross could hope to get

Jack Ross not going to take the Ipswich job because his wife likes her job as a teacher.
Right then.

Quite.

I’ve never been, but I’m pretty sure Ipswich has schools.