The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

20 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

We are assuming there is a clause in the contract which allows him to talk to other clubs, or an agreement in place with the board which the club needs to stick with to earn and build trust with future managers and players, we can't be seen breaking promises.

I would expect, after the last time, there is a clause that allows him to speak to other clubs, but that is tied up with his longer contract and therefore more compensation if/when he moves.

However, let's put this into a slightly better light. If he wasn't talking to other clubs, it's likely he would be far more tempted to jump than not, at least we know that he will have done his due diligence rather than forcing the situation leaving him in a brinkmanship position with the club. I also have no problems with Ross touring every single club in the country if it means he comes back with more information on how we can improve our setup and/or increase our revenue.

Clubs like Ipswich are the sort of place I'd expect him to end up though. Not in the limelight, not in the centre of London or in the wilds of Yorkshire. It's a stable club, that has seen both Premier league and seaside leagues in their time. Suffolk is a pretty nice place with a decent coastline, good climate and typical leafy back roads as you come inland. That said it is stuffed full of English, and worse still it's the hateful racist SE coast English, which makes it a pretty toxic area to live in if you are either (a) not English and (b) don't immediately hate anyone that isn't white skinned. Still there is Cambridge to the West which is a little more accepting of other cultures.

Do I think he'll go to them? I'm not sure, more from the point of Ipswich. I have a feeling he's just making the numbers up, but equally so I feel he could talk them around. I'd say it's far more likely that he'd go during the summer than between the start of the season and the winter transfer window. I just have a hunch he's not the sort of person to walk out on a job half done and you could argue taking us to the Premier is a job only half done.

btw, I get why people are mentioning him; he's free and all over the media just now, but is Robbie Neilson really the person most would want to take over if Ross went?

He had a decent 2 years at Hearts, very much under Levein's wing, and came into the club just as the financial issues were being resolved offering stability. He also was competing in the Championship. I am not saying he didn't do a good job but he's also been very lucky with the way things lined up. Fast forward on another couple of years and without all those benefits of finance and support his team dropped like a stone (admittedly after a decent start).

So we have a guy who has been successful in a very specific set of circumstances that failed to take that luck with them. Was it just MK Dons or was it Neilson?

As I say I get why people are touting him, but really his record isn't that great. If we were still a Championship side then I'd be happy to take that gamble, as a Premiership club and a Premiership club that is likely to struggle, and desperately needs to avoid yo-yo'ing, I am not overly convinced.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Get rid of the chunt. If he doesn't take the Ipswich job now he'll be popping down south every few weeks next season speaking to some second rate English outfit.  You have been warned.

Nonsense, he's earned the move. I think Ipswich is the job for him and we'll have to do quite a bit of a rebuilding job.  I am resigned to him leaving this summer and probably this month. There's only so many times he can say no to a team down south. 

I'd fancy Jim McIntyre to take over when Jack Ross goes.  He did a good job at Ross County and think it's been proven to be a poor decision in them getting rid of him. 

Im sure we will see the usual journeymen managers touted if or when Ross leaves. Guys like Duffy, Hughes etc can be discounted straight away. We are going into the SPL with money and finances to make a go of top six therefore we need a manager who can attract the right quality of player. No use signing has bean SPL duds we need quality. Only a manager with the ability to go out and get players capable of taking us forward is required. 

8 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

btw, I get why people are mentioning him; he's free and all over the media just now, but is Robbie Neilson really the person most would want to take over if Ross went?

He had a decent 2 years at Hearts, very much under Levein's wing, and came into the club just as the financial issues were being resolved offering stability. He also was competing in the Championship. I am not saying he didn't do a good job but he's also been very lucky with the way things lined up. Fast forward on another couple of years and without all those benefits of finance and support his team dropped like a stone (admittedly after a decent start).

So we have a guy who has been successful in a very specific set of circumstances that failed to take that luck with them. Was it just MK Dons or was it Neilson?

As I say I get why people are touting him, but really his record isn't that great. If we were still a Championship side then I'd be happy to take that gamble, as a Premiership club and a Premiership club that is likely to struggle, and desperately needs to avoid yo-yo'ing, I am not overly convinced.

Yeah I had similar concerns over Neilson. How much of what was achieved at Hearts was him and how much was down to Levein - be that having an experienced head he could go to for advice or whatever involvement Levein was having in transfers, team selections etc.  However, he fucked up MK Dons so that's a plus.

I wouldn't really have much of a problem with Neilson getting the job though and he should at least be on the shortlist for interview, if he's interested of course. I'd far rather were linked with someone like him or Alan Stubbs than the usual shite that will be put forward by the media like Hughes, Duffy, Houston etc. There isn't really an up and coming manager in Scotland that's a stand out at the moment. Aitken would be worse than the last few years of Gus, Hopkin will probably stay with Livi or go to Morton and people wouldn't be mentioning Goodwin if he hadn't played for us. We should be able to attract  a decent calibre of applicant given the situation on and off the park.

Given it's been a year since Ross started getting linked to jobs I'd imagine the board have already had a few discussions to prepare for his departure (I think div has said as much somewhere). They got the last appointment spot on so hopefully they can do it again. However, will a change of manager change the objective for the season? While a push for the top six seemed a ambitious it was probably a lot more realistic if we were continuing with the same manager rather than finding a new one. Maybe an appointment will be made with the aim of just keeping us up next season and build from there.

Of course, at the moment this is all hypothetical...

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, Sittìng on the fence said:

Watching the Livi game last night the assistant manager was giving all the instructions Hopkin was mainly just watching.

This is something that is constantly levelled at Livi and their management team.

What's the story behind it?

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Yeah I had similar concerns over Neilson. How much of what was achieved at Hearts was him and how much was down to Levein - be that having an experienced head he could go to for advice or whatever involvement Levein was having in transfers, team selections etc.  However, he fucked up MK Dons so that's a plus.

I wouldn't really have much of a problem with Neilson getting the job though and he should at least be on the shortlist for interview, if he's interested of course. I'd far rather were linked with someone like him or Alan Stubbs than the usual shite that will be put forward by the media like Hughes, Duffy, Houston etc. There isn't really an up and coming manager in Scotland that's a stand out at the moment. Aitken would be worse than the last few years of Gus, Hopkin will probably stay with Livi or go to Morton and people wouldn't be mentioning Goodwin if he hadn't played for us. We should be able to attract  a decent calibre of applicant given the situation on and off the park.

Given it's been a year since Ross started getting linked to jobs I'd imagine the board have already had a few discussions to prepare for his departure (I think div has said as much somewhere). They got the last appointment spot on so hopefully they can do it again. However, will a change of manager change the objective for the season? While a push for the top six seemed a ambitious it was probably a lot more realistic if we were continuing with the same manager rather than finding a new one. Maybe an appointment will be made with the aim of just keeping us up next season and build from there.

Of course, at the moment this is all hypothetical...

Neilson was reviled by a lot of Hearts fans in his time managing them in the top flight, turgid football and little excitement. 

Stubbs couldn't get Hibs out the Championship. 

Our board will have known for a while that this moment would come.

Gordon Scott is far from daft and will have a couple of  targets lined up already. I doubt they'll include any managers who shitfest their way to relative success, given his comments regarding what type of football he wants to see us play. I might be wrong, but I doubt any of the names mentioned on here will be getting the job, if JR departs.

Edited by FTOF

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Our board will have known for a while that this moment would come.

Gordon Scott is far from daft and will have a couple of  targets lined up already. I doubt they'll include any managers who shitfest their way to relative success, given his comments regarding what type of football he wants to see us play. I might be wrong, but I doubt any of the names mentioned on here will be getting the job, if JR departs.

I hope this is the case, because all the obvious candidates seem flawed. I'm not saying we want (or can aspire to) a flawless manager, but there must be someone out there with similar qualities to Ross.

Interesting from @RandomGuy. about Neilson. I'd not realised Hearts fans didn't like him. Were they legit complaints, or was it akin to spending 32 years blaming another team because you failed to draw at Dundee 32 years ago?

9 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Who would you suggest?

Probably think about that one when it’s confirmed that JR is definitely going, but there are no outstanding names that currently fill me with any optimism from the usual list of candidates.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I hope this is the case, because all the obvious candidates seem flawed. I'm not saying we want (or can aspire to) a flawless manager, but there must be someone out there with similar qualities to Ross.

Interesting from @RandomGuy. about Neilson. I'd not realised Hearts fans didn't like him. Were they legit complaints, or was it akin to spending 32 years blaming another team because you failed to draw at Dundee 32 years ago?

Hearts fans are an odd bunch, so it's hard to tell. He left them in second or third but the majority seemed to want him out, for much the same reason most want Levein out now.