The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

So go on then, why is he shite?

From all I can gather he was bought as cover, and now not needed hasn't really played. Why not provide a more balanced opinion than, "aw, man, he's pure shite".

We've been told several players are "shite" yet their performances have only improved under Ross.

Zero end product, cannot play in an attacking playstyle at all and lacks spacial awareness. 

I'd heard he was in at the club a few times doing a week doing massage or physio stuff rather than coaching.

Spot on. Scott is training or aspiring to become a sports masseur and the club have had him in for the last few weeks.

Not sure it will become anything longer term, but he’s not been doing any coaching.

I really like Flynn. Hardly wastes a pass. Don't know if people were expecting a player with more flair?
He's a bit like Davis in my opinion. Solid,  a bit unspectacular but does so many things that go unnoticed.

I've not seen him every week but from the games I've been at I genuinely forgot he was on the pitch.

Does'nt necessarily mean I think he is a bad player, maybe he goes about his job quietly, after all Smith and Morgan take most of the attention in the final 3rd.

On 4/30/2018 at 10:08, Buddist Monk said:

I'd say that's fair.

With all due respect to Morgan, as he's a great talent, but he is very much an excellent championship player. I honestly cannot see him getting any playtime for them in his first season and I'd say a loan deal similar to Christie (Aberdeen) may be the result. Will we be suitable enough for Rodgers and even then if we are, would Morgan return. He's effectively left the club on the best terms I think any of our players have does he want to tarnish that with an average season in the premiership?

You obviously haven't seen Lewis play for the Scotland U21s when he was the only Championship player in the team and won MoM in each game in teams that included £10m man Oliver Burke and now full Scotland cap Oliver McBurnie. For me he has clearly demonstrated that he can move up a  level. Must be difficult to be inspired when you are playing against Brechin and not the best that the England U21 team has to offer where Lewis was outstanding.

Celtic have a massive squad and a bench full of international players with even Scotland's top striker Griffiths not getting a game. But Morgan will not be out of place in that company.

6 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

So go on then, why is he shite?

From all I can gather he was bought as cover, and now not needed hasn't really played. Why not provide a more balanced opinion than, "aw, man, he's pure shite".

We've been told several players are "shite" yet their performances have only improved under Ross.

He also needs to remember that McGinn has already improved his game under Ross. He came to us in 2013 when Ross was here, won our YPOTY and got into the Championship Team of the Year in 2014, leading to a move to the Premiership.  His delivery and final ball for us was absolutely tremendous, it would be a shame if that side of his game is no longer there, but I'd be willing to bet a decent amount that he'll do a smashing job for you guys.

There seems to be some sort of ‘playoff’ things going on, and a lot of nappies are being clarted by a lot of teams’ fans. I have no idea what these playoff thingumyjigs are all about. I’m sitting here with holiday brochures and a nice glass of chilled New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Anyone got a clue what the fuss is? :P

Edited by pozbaird

27 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

There seems to be some sort of ‘playoff’ things going on, and a lot of nappies are being clarted by a lot of teams’ fans. I have no idea what these playoff thingumyjigs are all about. I’m sitting here with holiday brochures and a nice glass of chilled New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Anyone got a clue what the fuss is? :P

No idea , i've been dusting off my flipflops and giving them a wee squirt of Oder Eater spray.

5 minutes ago, Sittìng on the fence said:

No idea , i've been dusting off my flipflops and giving them a wee squirt of Oder Eater spray.

Yeah, I don’t get it. I nipped down to Boots for a bottle of Factor 30 and saw something about it on the back page of a paper. All very strange. Mind you, was murder at Braehead trying to get near the wee mini holiday toiletries section - couldnae’ get near it for St Mirren players and coaching staff. Basturts’ bought up all the mini Lynx deodorants.

Edited by pozbaird

Don't want to get on their cases just yet as it is early days but neither Flynn or Hippolyte have done a lot to make me think they should be first names on the team sheet.

Hopefully I'll stand corrected next season.

Bit harsh - I really like Flynn and Hippolyte hasn’t had much of a chance.

There seems to be some sort of ‘playoff’ things going on, and a lot of nappies are being clarted by a lot of teams’ fans. I have no idea what these playoff thingumyjigs are all about. I’m sitting here with holiday brochures and a nice glass of chilled New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Anyone got a clue what the fuss is? [emoji14]

No idea at all - must be diddy teams involved.

Bit harsh - I really like Flynn and Hippolyte hasn’t had much of a chance.
It's really not harsh.

Harsh would be to say they were fucking rubbish not good enough etc all I've said is I'm still to be convinced by them.

It was in response to someone asking if anyone had reservations about players we had signed up for next season.

Jack sees enough in them that he wants them in his squad which is all that really matters.

Flynn has been a great signing since January. Can’t quite remember what game it was, might’ve been the Dunfermline game, but he was the best player on the park. He’s not the same type of player as Morgan or Smith who also play behind the striker but he’s a great option to have on the right. Him and Liam Smith played great together down the right in the latter part of the season.
I think the signing of Flynn had a big contribution to our form from January on. He also kept Hippolyte out the team. We have no reason to doubt Flynn’s ability in the Premiership.

18 hours ago, NorthBank said:

You obviously haven't seen Lewis play for the Scotland U21s when he was the only Championship player in the team and won MoM in each game in teams that included £10m man Oliver Burke and now full Scotland cap Oliver McBurnie. For me he has clearly demonstrated that he can move up a  level. Must be difficult to be inspired when you are playing against Brechin and not the best that the England U21 team has to offer where Lewis was outstanding.

Celtic have a massive squad and a bench full of international players with even Scotland's top striker Griffiths not getting a game. But Morgan will not be out of place in that company.

None of that addresses the fact he is lightweight, he was bullied off the ball by some average championship players purely because of their stature and that won't improve when he moves up a league regardless with which team he ends up with. He is a talent though, so don't think my comments are in any way a negative to the lad, just an acceptance of where the modern game is at just now.

Edited by Buddist Monk

Morning Buddies... brews coffee, checks the overnight news, oh, there was a playoff game. 0-0 shitfest between diddies. Flicks back to BBC website main page. Pours coffee, bites into one of those breakfast oaty bar things that tastes like budgie millet.... ponders the best flight times to holiday destination. Decides never to buy budgie food disguised as an oaty bar thing ever again.

Playoffs, eh, whit’ are they like.