The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Stelios Demetriou, John Sutton, Gary Irvine, Massimo Donati, Josh Todd, Darryl Duffy, Darren Whyte and Nathan Flanagan

- no surprises other than Todd who I think still think there is a player in there.

Lewis Morgan, Mark Hill and Liam Smith will all return to their parent clubs as their loan deals come to an end.

- does anyone think we'll get Morgan back on loan? Smith would be brilliant to bring in, doubt we have the money unless (J) McGinn leaves Hibs.

Conor O'Keefe, Evan Horne, Andrew McDonald, Robbie Leitch, Dylan McKendry and Chris Henry

- Really cannot comment on the youths, I've seen O'Keefe and I think Leitch and they didn't stand out (harsh to expect that, but still).

Surely not. We were told we would struggle in the top league, why has JR emptied a huge chunk of the squad ????. Huge statement of intent by the gaffer. I can see players queuing up to play for him.

I wish them all the best, hope they can get a decent gig elsewhere.

I feel inclined to point this out every time we have a transfer window, but I have never, ever known St Mirren to be so decisive in terms of transfers, both players in and out. Does this leave us with a) anybody on a contract that we don't think has got what it takes or b) anybody out of contract that we still want to sign up? Reilly, presumably?

It's utterly refreshing. It's fair on the players, too - they know where they stand and can set about lining something else up.

Of the OOC first team guys, you can imagine Stelios, Sutton, Irvine and Todd getting a gig in the Championship. The rest might have to drop to league 1, aside from Donati who I assume was just a back up in case the absolute worst happened and our captain got injured.

(PS did I see on Twitter that Scott Walker was back at the club in a first team coaching capacity? I can't find it now and am worried I might have dreamed it.)

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

If it happens I reckon it'll be the end of August at the earliest and maybe not until January. Rogers will want to see how he shapes up pre-season and in the early European rounds.

I'd say that's fair.

With all due respect to Morgan, as he's a great talent, but he is very much an excellent championship player. I honestly cannot see him getting any playtime for them in his first season and I'd say a loan deal similar to Christie (Aberdeen) may be the result. Will we be suitable enough for Rodgers and even then if we are, would Morgan return. He's effectively left the club on the best terms I think any of our players have does he want to tarnish that with an average season in the premiership?

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I feel inclined to point this out every time we have a transfer window, but I have never, ever known St Mirren to be so decisive in terms of transfers, both players in and out. Does this leave us with a) anybody on a contract that we don't think has got what it takes or b) anybody out of contract that we still want to sign up? Reilly, presumably?

It's utterly refreshing. It's fair on the players, too - they know where they stand and can set about lining something else up.

Of the OOC first team guys, you can imagine Stelios, Sutton, Irvine and Todd getting a gig in the Championship. The rest might have to drop to league 1, aside from Donati who I assume was just a back up in case the absolute worst happened and our captain got injured.

(PS did I see on Twitter that Scott Walker was back at the club in a first team coaching capacity? I can't find it now and am worried I might have dreamed it.)

Confirmed in the PDE that Scott Walker is back at the club in a coaching capacity.

Must be true then.:P

Edited by glenburn bud

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I'd say that's fair.

With all due respect to Morgan, as he's a great talent, but he is very much an excellent championship player. I honestly cannot see him getting any playtime for them in his first season and I'd say a loan deal similar to Christie (Aberdeen) may be the result. Will we be suitable enough for Rodgers and even then if we are, would Morgan return. He's effectively left the club on the best terms I think any of our players have does he want to tarnish that with an average season in the premiership?

Bear in mind Celtic might be happy to let him come to us as they'd be strengthening a team in the same league but in no way a real rival. Also, he wouldn't be able to play against them. It's in Celtic's general interests for us to pick up as many points as possible in games not involving Celtic. On a similar note, they should probably lend us Dembele.

On 30/04/2018 at 10:07, Coventry Saint said:

Yip big Jaap Stam is back but not as a coach. Was on the open top bus.

Reilly will probably have a few offers to mull through, had a great season but tailed off near the end and Mullen pretty much nabbed his place in the team.

Big rebuilding job in the summer, as long as JR is in charge there is no need for us to panic.

Edited by sergie's no1 fan

You'd assume he's had one eye on targets for a good few weeks now.  But we'll need to wait until the season is over before we go head hunting.  As some said about first time I've seen us this decisive so early good luck to all that's been released but given Stelios posted this on Saturday they must've know for a bit.  And now the kids/adults of paisley need a new hero with Super Stelios gone.

In the past we've announced who was leaving before the final game of the season before. This tardiness combined with our poor end to the season has me worried for the season ahead :unsure2::ph34r:

9 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

I'd say that's fair.

Put a talented player into the mix of quality players around that talent ( Morgan )  he will improve. Morgan won't walk right into the team but I can see him being used as a sub when Celtic are comfortable in front. Morgan is an ambitious young man who knows what he wants works his ads off to achieve his dream. I firmly believe Morgan will make the grade he has got man of the match in the last three Scotland under 21's. Has scored more league goals than any other St Mirren player. 

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Was Scott Walker coaching elsewhere? Not followed what happened to him after he left us. 

I'd heard he was in at the club a few times doing a week doing massage or physio stuff rather than coaching.

Don't want to get on their cases just yet as it is early days but neither Flynn or Hippolyte have done a lot to make me think they should be first names on the team sheet.

Hopefully I'll stand corrected next season.

6 hours ago, cilitbang said:

Paul McGinn is shite btw. Be worried if he’s expected to be 1st choice. 

So go on then, why is he shite?

From all I can gather he was bought as cover, and now not needed hasn't really played. Why not provide a more balanced opinion than, "aw, man, he's pure shite".

We've been told several players are "shite" yet their performances have only improved under Ross.

I really like Flynn. Hardly wastes a pass. Don't know if people were expecting a player with more flair?

He's a bit like Davis in my opinion. Solid,  a bit unspectacular but does so many things that go unnoticed.