The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Jack Ross PFA manager of the year seems to have sent the celtic fans into meltdown on twitter emoji23.png

Hopefully , JR picking up this award , will send a message to the BBC that there's life outside the premiership  , even when the "big clubs" have moved up !

I reckon JR was given the award for results over a season and a bit (tick-tock :rolleyes:) but in a way I feel slightly insulted as I don't reckon its such a big achievement, we’ve done it three times in the last two decades and TH & double winning  GM didn't even get nominated IIRC. I reckon its a bit of an insult to Saints as the  voters obviously see us as a diddy club.

Anyway  Ill finish where I should probably have started - Congratulations to Jack Ross (&  Jamie Fowler)!  

Edited by btb

23 minutes ago, McG said:

Will be amazed if Jack Ross is still in charge come the start of the season.

Yeah. This award might not have helped, either.

The relationship he has with the BoD means at least (you'd imagine) they'll be kept informed of his intentions. 

Scott has a 100% record for appointing amazing managers, so I'm relaxed about it.

23 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah. This award might not have helped, either.

The relationship he has with the BoD means at least (you'd imagine) they'll be kept informed of his intentions. 

Scott has a 100% record for appointing amazing managers, so I'm relaxed about it.

No I reckon he'll start the season with us but when the first managerial casualties happen in the Autumn he may get an offer too good to turn down.

My hope is that when the time comes Jamie Fowler will prefer another go as top dog than to follow JR.

Well done on the MotS trophy. However while a great achievement, I can't help but feel we've been a bit lucky (on top of his fine management, of course). If Rodgers gets the x2 treble or Clarke guides Killie to Europe I would argue they are more worthy. Still, I am not complaining.

As for his position, I said Ross wouldn't leave for Barnsley and he didn't. It's my opinion that he will remain with us for at least the next season. We aren't going to sack him so it all comes down to what he wants to do (obviously with relevance to performance on the pitch). There is the possibility that his dream job pops up. Not sure what that would be, all the teams at the top look like they have their managers locked in for a least a year other than perhaps Hearts, who he does have a connection with, and Budge seems like the sort of person he could work with, but there is the Levein issue so he'd need to be out completely before I see Ross ever taking that job. 

Onto Stellios. I certainly want to thank him for his efforts, but if we are all being honest here he was a gamble that just about paid off in the championship, he'd be a much bigger gamble with much less chance of success in a league higher. Depending on who doesn't make it up in the playoffs they could do a lot worse that looking to bring him in as with a regular starting slot, and adding a little consistency to his play, he could be a very useful addition.