The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

The fireworks was mental :lol:. I didn't know what was going on, big bang, bits of rocket flying everywhere as people scarpered.  Looked over at the grass and thought guy was in a bad way with him faceplanted on the ground. Luckily he didn't blow himself up!

8 hours ago, flyingscot said:

The fireworks was mental :lol:. I didn't know what was going on, big bang, bits of rocket flying everywhere as people scarpered.  Looked over at the grass and thought guy was in a bad way with him faceplanted on the ground. Luckily he didn't blow himself up!

I was standing over the road at leisureland and totally shat myself as the bus blocked the view that thus was happening. Whoever set them off is very lucky he didn't hurt himself or anyone else. Was well intended and a bit of fun but a silly stunt to pull, setting them off on a slope where you have so little control of the trajectory rather than flat land. 

Relating to the incident, one of the guys who used to run our supporters bus who I've been pals with for years was standing right beside it, I met him later in the night outside the tile bar with his wife and she got hit in the back with one of the fireworks and it burnt 2 or 3 quite large holes holes in her top and jacket but no skin damage. If it had hit bare skin though or the top she was wearing was tight fitting, it would have been very nasty indeed.

Edited by djchapsticks

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

http://www.thefootballlife.co.uk/post/173092296615/st-mirren-summer-scouting-report-2018

Not sure how accurate it is or that, but I've enjoyed reading these. 

It was a good read, interesting, but there was something very 'Football Manager' about it.

43 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Is an open top bus normal for the championship? Can't remember if any other team has done it. 

Not sure I've heard of it either, but it seemed to go pretty well. I've only seen the videos, but the #scenes during the pre-game march, and some of the bus route, and then the ceremony, made it worthwhile.

What I did like is how many really young kids you can see taking part in the march. Showed you can have a buzzing, lairy atmosphere but still be totally safe and family friendly. Credit to the organisers and the police for that. Those kids won't forget that day any time soon.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

http://www.thefootballlife.co.uk/post/173092296615/st-mirren-summer-scouting-report-2018

Not sure how accurate it is or that, but I've enjoyed reading these. 

McShane and Stelios certainly won't be first choices next season. If they are even here. 

Other than that, not a lot wrong with it. He's a bit Football Manager in his choices but I'd be OK with any foreign signing we've done decent scouting on and the suggestions he's made are certainly thought out and considered. 

I don't expect Jack will go down the old Scottish manager trope route of 'he's foreign so he must be good'. 

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

It was a good read, interesting, but there was something very 'Football Manager' about it.

Not sure I've heard of it either, but it seemed to go pretty well. I've only seen the videos, but the #scenes during the pre-game march, and some of the bus route, and then the ceremony, made it worthwhile.

What I did like is how many really young kids you can see taking part in the march. Showed you can have a buzzing, lairy atmosphere but still be totally safe and family friendly. Credit to the organisers and the police for that. Those kids won't forget that day any time soon.

Aye, wasn't meant as a dig, I'd imagine it would be a great event, the adults could grab a carry out and get pished while the kids can wave a flag and enjoy the occasion. In reality for allot of "diddy" teams in Scotland that might be the best trophy you win for decades. 

Weird that more teams don't do it, will the club bear the cost or will the council help out? 

50 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Is an open top bus normal for the championship? Can't remember if any other team has done it. 

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Just as I've never paid much attention so it may be that loads of teams have done it. 

Anyway, we did it back in 2006 when we won it as well. 

Edited by djchapsticks

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Aye, wasn't meant as a dig, I'd imagine it would be a great event, the adults could grab a carry out and get pished while the kids can wave a flag and enjoy the occasion. In reality for allot of "diddy" teams in Scotland that might be the best trophy you win for decades. 

Weird that more teams don't do it, will the club bear the cost or will the council help out? 

S'ok, didn't take it as one. Not sure re the costs - it's the start of the financial year so you'd like to think the council could scrape some cash together for it - along with various partners chipping in (the radio people, for example).

There was a lot of 'key messaging' about how great it was for Paisley on a lot of the official twitter feeds, too (not club ones) so I do suspect they'll have helped out. There might even have been some spare 2021 bid cash lying around :lol:

47 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Just as I've never paid much attention so it may be that loads of teams have done it. 

Anyway, we did it back in 2006 when we won it as well. 

Nope, I genuinely can't think of another team doing it, obviously recently you've had the big four but from 2008 onwards I can't think of anyone doing it, possibly Hamilton? 

Looks great fun though. 

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Nope, I genuinely can't think of another team doing it, obviously recently you've had the big four but from 2008 onwards I can't think of anyone doing it, possibly Hamilton? 

Looks great fun though. 

I guess it probably would look a bit diddy for the likes of Hearts, Hibs or Sevco to do it. Then again, we've seen how much Hearts love a bus, so...

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

We had an open top bus parade when we won the 1st Division in 2009.

I didn't realise it was unusual to be honest. I can understand Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, etc maybe not doing it, it would be a bit diddy, but for teams of our size I think it's great! Also, having it a couple of hours after the game keeps folk in the town and gets the local pubs, restaurants and cafes absolutely jumping. You also get a chance to boo the Lord provost. I would heartily recommend it.

36 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Looks great fun though. 

One Town, One Team and yes it was great fun!

54 minutes ago, GAD said:

I didn't realise it was unusual to be honest. I can understand Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, etc maybe not doing it, it would be a bit diddy, but for teams of our size I think it's great! Also, having it a couple of hours after the game keeps folk in the town and gets the local pubs, restaurants and cafes absolutely jumping. You also get a chance to boo the Lord provost. I would heartily recommend it.

She was nowhere near as bad as the one five years ago who asked us all to admire her nails.

I enjoyed booing her as she voted against the stadium/supermarket planning applications in 2005 yet had been hogging every photo op going in the run up to the cup final.

5 hours ago, GAD said:

Image result for john finnie street kilmarnock open top bus

Image result for killie top bus 1997

Did it in 2012 too but the pictures are poor as it was pitch black! Both time we've done it is straight after game.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Image result for john finnie street kilmarnock open top bus

Image result for killie top bus 1997

Did it in 2012 too but the pictures are poor as it was pitch black! Both time we've done it is straight after game.

I can't really understand why anyone wouldn't do it to be honest, especially the smaller clubs in one club towns.  I'm genuinely surprised to hear Dunfermline didn't.

Apart from anything else it brings the club and the community closer together, it helps give local business a bit of a boost and it creates an even bigger feel good factor around the club as well as giving a bit of an extension to the big day. It's also something the kids can get involved in and celebrate, rather than just going home after the lap of honour.