The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

So... that question I posed earlier. Do we want Morton to...

a) Make the playoffs

b) Do well in the playoffs

c) Get promoted via the playoffs

Mainly for geographical reasons - c)

Promoted - Us & Them

Relegated - Ross County & Dundee

So do Saints fans think it’s all over then?

Yesterday we get a great win away in Dumfries, and our two closest rivals both drop points at home...

... and not a peep on this thread, and barely anything from Saints fans on the match day thread either.

I guess it’s true that bad news sells more than good!

20 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Yesterday we get a great win away in Dumfries, and our two closest rivals both drop points at home...

... and not a peep on this thread, and barely anything from Saints fans on the match day thread either.

I do. 14 points from remaining games enough to put it beyond doubt (assuming Arabs can't achieve a huge GD swing).

But... I think folk are keeping their powder dry until it's just a little closer. It's just a bit of a phoney war at the moment.

42 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Nearly but not quite. If we increase our lead after the next 3 or 4 games, then I'll start to relax a bit.

As for the lack of chat from Saints fans , I reckon there are a few hangovers going by the condition of yesterdays crowd in Dumfries. That might have something to do with it. That and possible nerves of getting over the finishing line.

55 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I think we probably won it yesterday. I think us going away and winning whilst our two nearest rivals both dropped points at home put a couple of nails in it. I can understand why people don't want to get carried away, but we've been pretty relentless. Even when we lose (and lose heavily), and other fans have talked about bottle going, sticky patches, etc, we've always come back with a winning run that they just couldn't match. I think we are now further ahead of Livi now than we were before they beat us 4-1 for example.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

I think we probably won it yesterday. I think us going away and winning whilst our two nearest rivals both dropped points at home put a couple of nails in it. I can understand why people don't want to get carried away, but we've been pretty relentless. Even when we lose (and lose heavily), and other fans have talked about bottle going, sticky patches, etc, we've always come back with a winning run that they just couldn't match. I think we are now further ahead of Livi now than we were before they beat us 4-1 for example.

Agreed. We've not had a sticky spell all year, any time we've been beaten we've won the following game. If any other team was 12 clear with 8 games to play we'd all be saying it was over.  

12 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Agreed. We've not had a sticky spell all year, any time we've been beaten we've won the following game. If any other team was 12 clear with 8 games to play we'd all be saying it was over.  

Yeah, we've barely even drawn a game either, think it's 3 all season. It's just been wins, punctuated by the odd defeat. Nobody else in the league has been able to live with that form, it's really hard to see why it would drop so badly now.

It's almost certainly all over.

5 wins from our final 8 guarantees it and that's even with Utd and Livi not slipping up again between.

Realistically though, 3 wins will wrap it up from here.

The likelihood at this point is that going to Tannadice and winning or avoiding defeat could well be the night that seals the title which would be great as we'd then have 3 home games in a week as champions

Edited by djchapsticks

My view is the turning point came when Sammy saved the pen against The Arabs.
After that I became rather more comfortable

Good point. You tend to forget how much Sammy has contributed. Some crucial saves in crucial games.

That penalty save is right up there.