The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I thought Flynn would be signed as a right mid to allow Magennis to move back inside but I think yesterday sort of threw a spanner in that. 

Flynn's work rate, running, ball retention, eye for a pass, tackling were a joy yesterday. Even his defensive headers at set pieces.  I don't have any issues with Danny Mullen being man of the match as he really needed it but for me Ryan Flynn was comfortably the best player on the park. 

That energy and genuine box to box threat he provides means he has to stay in the middle of the park and let Kyle stay wide.

Aye Flynn played very well, showed a defensive side to his game I didn't anticipate from my previous viewings of him. 

22 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Yeah. You'd imagine 70 points should be enough.

Livi would need to win 7/10 to reach that and United 10/13. Both teams could maybe do that but thats assuming we only win 3 more and draw 1 more game out the next 9.

Mortons last couple of results have ruled them out, can't believe Duffy prioritised the Celtic cup game instead of the Livi one, and some Ton fans saying at least Livi closed the gap on us after the game!

Aye Duffy's an absolute fanny for that. Reckon that's the league sewn up for you guys . Would you agree?

16 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I thought Flynn would be signed as a right mid to allow Magennis to move back inside but I think yesterday sort of threw a spanner in that. 

Flynn's work rate, running, ball retention, eye for a pass, tackling were a joy yesterday. Even his defensive headers at set pieces.  I don't have any issues with Danny Mullen being man of the match as he really needed it but for me Ryan Flynn was comfortably the best player on the park. 

That energy and genuine box to box threat he provides means he has to stay in the middle of the park and let Kyle stay wide.

Thought Flynn was our best player on Saturday too. Hadn't been that impressed with him in his previous games but happy to have my opinion of him changed and hopefully that will be the standard we get for the remainder of the season.

Aye Duffy's an absolute fanny for that. Reckon that's the league sewn up for you guys . Would you agree?

Wouldn't say it's sewn up because it still depends on how United cope with their games in hand and heavy schedule now, can't totally write off Livi either because they are in great form and pumped us but hopefully it's a case of everyone else slitting each others throat.

We've still to play Falkirk twice, Inverness away, United away and yourselves at home so there is tricky games and the potential to slip up but it's an incredible position we are in, one i personally couldn't have imagined at the start of the season.

While I think we’ll win the league I just think taking care of one game at a time is a cliche, but nonetheless true. If we keep winning there will be points dropped by both Livingston and Dundee Utd and we could be almost there by April.. let’s beat QOS first.

Ross  always said the players he brings in are for one eye on the premiership  next season on that Flynn always had something in him I believe he will now start most games. Mullun is another Lewis out Smith , Reilly, Mullen look a formidable force together can see that as our forward line next season. 

1 minute ago, Demented Zebra said:

Ross  always said the players he brings in are for one eye on the premiership  next season on that Flynn always had something in him I believe he will now start most games. Mullun is another Lewis out Smith , Reilly, Mullen look a formidable force together can see that as our forward line next season. 

How were they lining up at the weekend? I've not seen any of it. 

Eh?

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Flynn replaced McShane in midfield up front you had Reilly, Smith Mullen playing together which looked good. To think Hippolyte could be called on we have strength up front like I have not seen in years. 

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

You should join buddie vision at £4.99 a month its terriic value for fans who can' get to most games. You get full 90 min or highlights regular interviews and the weekly press conference.  

53 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

For the first time this season Jack played a 4-3-3 with Flynn on right McGinn in the middle and Magennis on the left although the workrate of all three of them meant a bit of interchanging.  Same up front.  Cammy on the right, Gav through the middle and Mullen on the left but interchanging a bit and Cammy and Mullen dropping back if necessary.  The 3 up front worked a treat as it prevented the Pars' centre backs from coming forward which is their main goal threat these days. Good to see we have options in the way we play and players that can change positions when necessary. Flynn in particular looked far more comfortable and effective when playing more central than stuck out on the wing. It would not surprise me if we played 4-3-3 more often now.

32 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

You should join buddie vision at £4.99 a month its terriic value for fans who can' get to most games. You get full 90 min or highlights regular interviews and the weekly press conference.  

I am tempted, and I'm keen to support the club as I think it's a decent initiative. Thing is, I've never been a massive fan of watching football when I know the result. :P I do still manage to pay to see some of the games via a VPN though it's not as reliable as it used to be.

I kinda wish they'd lift the restrictions on Saints TV for those of us on the other side of the wall, but I can see it'd be near-impossible to implement.

39 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Flynn replaced McShane in midfield up front you had Reilly, Smith Mullen playing together which looked good. To think Hippolyte could be called on we have strength up front like I have not seen in years. 

Agreed. Definitely a lot to worry defences there - especially if we can find a way to play three of the four effectively together. We need to prepare for life after Morgan and maybe a slight change in system is the way forward.

12 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

For the first time this season Jack played a 4-3-3 with Flynn on right McGinn in the middle and Magennis on the left although the workrate of all three of them meant a bit of interchanging.  Same up front.  Cammy on the right, Gav through the middle and Mullen on the left but interchanging a bit and Cammy and Mullen dropping back if necessary.  The 3 up front worked a treat as it prevented the Pars' centre backs from coming forward which is their main goal threat these days. Good to see we have options in the way we play and players that can change positions when necessary. Flynn in particular looked far more comfortable and effective when playing more central than stuck out on the wing. It would not surprise me if we played 4-3-3 more often now.

This was why I had mentioned that this would be a good test for Ross after the trouble Dunfermline caused us in their last game. Only one person didn't see the problems that the Mvoto long ball caused us, so a switch to a 433 is an interesting one. Out of interest, how much defending did Mullen and Smith actually do? I'm guessing a 433/451 formation may be the one Ross is planning if/when* we are promoted

(* it's when, we all know it's a when)

9 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

This was why I had mentioned that this would be a good test for Ross after the trouble Dunfermline caused us in their last game. Only one person didn't see the problems that the Mvoto long ball caused us, so a switch to a 433 is an interesting one. Out of interest, how much defending did Mullen and Smith actually do? I'm guessing a 433/451 formation may be the one Ross is planning if/when* we are promoted

(* it's when, we all know it's a when)

Not too much in the first half and less so in the second half. They dropped back when the Pars had the ball which also helped snuff out the full back Williamson who I thought had been brilliant as an attacking full back in previous games against us. I would certainly sign him if we had the chance.  But Jack's formation changes did not stop there. When they had a man sent off he brought on Baird to have a back 3 and allowed Eck and Liam to move a bit further forward giving us a midfield 5 and two strikers  effectively choking Dunfermline's 10 men out of the game. Great tactics throughout the 90 mins.