The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

54 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Instead of missing half of this game, I'm now going to miss all of it.

Leaving my selfishness aside I think this is a very good call by the club, though no doubt with it being only a week away, it'll mess up quite a few people's plans.

Am I missing something?

Scotland U-21's play on the Friday evening.

We had three players called up for the last game and we had our match postponed. Does the same happen for a game we've gone out of our way to get re-arranged? :wacko:

What if we only get two players in the squad this time? Do we lay Falkirk potentially without two from Morgan, Magennis or Liam Smith?:wacko:

Answers on a post card.

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Am I missing something?

We had three players called up for the last game and we had our match postponed. Does the same happen for a game we've gone out of our way to get re-arranged? :wacko:

What if we only get two players in the squad this time? Do we lay Falkirk potentially without two from Morgan, Magennis or Liam Smith?:wacko:

Answers on a post card.

Magennis would be a borderline call-up, maybe, but the other two are starters. Fuxake.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Am I missing something?

Answers on a post card.

That's  very strange indeed maybe Saints don't realise the U21's are playing ? 

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

My thoughts on Donati.

Started off brilliantly, really looked the part. Composed and positionally aware with a tremendous range of passing. He had a stormer against you guys in the cup and things were looking great.

Not sure if it was his age catching up with him, but his performance levels just seemed to drop off a cliff. In the end, he lost his place in the side and when he did play, it was anything from 'ok' to 'shambolic'. Gifting chances and passes to the opposition were his new thing. He got the most ridiculous red card for kicking the ball away at Dundee which was probably the most brainless thing I've seen at the football.

If you get the player we had at the beginning of his time with us then it's a fantastic signing.

Any truth in the rumour he thought he was getting Cannings job when he came in?

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If you get the player we had at the beginning of his time with us then it's a fantastic signing.

While I see the possible benefits, and possible pitfalls, in this move I have a certain cynical outlook. Would Donati have come to us if we weren't already some distance ahead in a league that's 2/3rds of the way through.

As someone who can add a bit of steel when we need to shut up shop, I see him as a decent acquisition. I do think he's worked his way into a team just for the chance to win silverware. Would Donati be as motivated to help you shitfest your way out of the relegation places? St Mirren have been there, many a time, so this is no dig at Accies but you see the point I'm making.

Donati was alway a bit of an Enigma. We signed him as a winger then converted him to a more central role,put in some outstanding performances at the start of the season then went sh*te. Mowbray then took over and looked to be getting the best out of him again and had him playing sweeper and looked born for the role but then left at the last minute I think in the transfer window for family reasons. He will divide fans as some will love his passionate italian style expressions on the pitch whilst others can't be arsed with it if his footballing performances don't match his supposed passion.

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Im pretty sure I can remember him in Italy years ago as a winger, which was strange due to his stature

According to Tansfermarkt, he's played left midfield 3 times out of his 262 professional appearances. Defensive mid 175 times, centre back 42 times and centre mid 40 times. Must have him confused with someone else I guess.

50 minutes ago, Soctty said:

According to Tansfermarkt, he's played left midfield 3 times out of his 262 professional appearances. Defensive mid 175 times, centre back 42 times and centre mid 40 times. Must have him confused with someone else I guess.

Donati was a winger in CM 2010

Case closed.

Sense there is a nervous reaction creeping into some of our support just hope it does not spill over to the players 10 games left we are still in a great position for the title. Can't see the United game going ahead with the worst of the weather coming Thursday and Friday which will be better for us than United. 

38 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Sense there is a nervous reaction creeping into some of our support...

Knicker wetters amongst the St Mirren support? No, I refuse to accept the notion.

If people can't enjoy being miles ahead in the league, even with the "worst possible scenario" factored into the games in hand, then when can they be happy?