The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I can exclusively reveal I've turned down the chance to pump Hayden Panittiere .

............................... and will get pumped by St Mirren again instead , if Utd are still in existence ?

Edited by billyg

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Is your insistence that you were proved right in your reasons for him staying (loves the clib, loves the players, finish the job) also tongue in cheek? When he was actually interested in the gig

You could spin it that way if you wish but the checklist is as follows..

Barnsley would be interested, he should speak to them, they won't finally choose him, he won't take the job anyway.

Now I'm not getting all smug about this, but it's also fair to say that I called it pretty much on the money. I wasn't the only person who said this, there were quite a few, yet for some reason people have decided to vent their ire my way. C'est la vie. Open forum and all that.

Edit: It would also be nice to get back to talking about the football, this playground name calling is a bit tedious to say the least.

Edited by Buddist Monk

this playground name calling is a bit tedious to say the least.

You're the one lording it up because you think you were "right" whilst taking digs at folk for simply having the opinion that should Jack be offered the job he will take it.

You have to be one of the most tedious posters in the history of PnB.

9 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

But yet nobody has said that. Nobody has said he is shit. They have said he was never offered the job as there is no evidence he was.

Likewise nobody said it was a done deal. They did say it was a no brainer and it was. Ross was interested in the gig.

Finding it hard for you to understand Jack Ross turned Barnsley down. So let' s look at this in more detail. The owners from abroad took over in 2017 billionaires do your home work. First they approached a club to speak to the manager club said NO. Next approached St Mirren we said yes. Barnsley then booked a flight to Manchester Jack picked up by car put up in a hotel in Barnsley Next day Jack was shown around   beore going to the stadium for an interview in the afternoon which finished at 19.15. Next day Ross got a flight back to Glasgow with a firm offer. Ross took 24 hours to ponder move. During that time the Saints board met to draw up a counter offer that could not match Barnsley but would make Ross the highest paid manager in St Mirren's history. After 24 hours Ross acceted Saints offer. So Barnsley had a first choice but club said  NO number one. Next Jack Ross who gave it 24 hours. Jack said no. Next the Portuguese guy said yes. Fans of Barnsley were told our first choice after two knock backs is Mr Portuguese . Is a club going to say to its fans we got knocked back twice  surly even someone as thick as you can work that out ? Here is the bottom line Ross is staying at St Mirren regardless of any spin. We are going to be champions deal with it idiot.  

Edited by Demented Zebra

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Finding it hard for you to understand Jack Ross turned Barnsley down. So let' s look at this in more detail. The owners from abroad took over in 2017 billionaires do your home work. First they approached a club to speak to the manager club said NO. Next approached St Mirren we said yes. Barnsley then booked a flight to Manchester Jack picked up by car put up in a hotel in Barnsley Next day Jack was shown around   beore going to the stadium for an interview in the afternoon which finished at 19.15. Next day Ross got a flight back to Glasgow with a firm offer. Ross took 24 hours to ponder move. During that time the Saints board met to draw up a counter offer that could not match Barnsley but would make Ross the highest paid manager in St Mirren's history. After 24 hours Ross acceted Saints offer. So Barnsley had a first choice but club said  NO number one. Next Jack Ross who gave it 24 hours. Jack said no. Next the Portuguese guy said yes. Fans of Barnsley were told our first choice after two knock backs is Mr Portuguese . Is a club going to say to its fans we got knocked back twice  surly even someone as thick as you can work that out ? Here is the bottom line Ross is staying at St Mirren regardless of any spin. We are going to be champions deal with it idiot.  

I feel sorry for your keyboard. You must have mashed it with such a rage when trying to get that out. Calling me an idiot and thick when you seem unable to grasp the fact that Jack Ross did not get offered the Barnsley job and you have made up the bit about coming back up with a firm offer. You have not been able to, nor will you be able to, post a single piece of evidence or a quote that states the job was offered and it was turned down in favour of a bumper new deal from St Mirren.

You may find some press reports that say he rejected it. The same press that some on here were calling gutter press when the news first broke of their interest even though it turned out in fact to be true. Those reports, while using the title 'rejected' merely lift quotes from the St Mirren statement which at no point states that he turned the role down, merely that he was staying.

A recruitment process doesn't have to be a single straight line from one candidate to the next. It's not like dominos stacked and knocked down one after the other until one stays standing to end the process. They interviewed several people during those days before finalising their choice.

If you want evidence and tangible quotes, try this one:

http://www.the-gazette.co.uk/sport/16029213._He___s_showed_unbelievable_loyalty_to_our_football_club__St_Mirren_chief_Tony_Fitzpatrick_delighted_with_Jack_Ross__decision_to_stay_in_Paisley/

Your very own Chief Executive stating his personal belief that he thinks Jack would have got an offer, very different from 'coming back up the road with a concrete offer' to turn down.

No offer was made, nobody can prove that it was even going to be incoming (rather than the Portuguese guy actually being their preferred candidate). Jack Ross did not turn down a job offer but rather pulled out of the race. Did he do this, knowing that he wasn't getting it? Again, we don't know. The fact that he isn't in fact even getting the bumper new contract at St Mirren suggests that might have indeed been the case.

Edited by Jamie_M

6 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

I feel sorry for your keyboard. You must have mashed it with such a rage when trying to get that out. Calling me an idiot and thick when you seem unable to grasp the fact that Jack Ross did not get offered the Barnsley job and you have made up the bit about coming back up with a firm offer. You have not been able to, nor will you be able to, post a single piece of evidence or a quote that states the job was offered and it was turned down in favour of a bumper new deal from St Mirren.

You may find some press reports that say he rejected it. The same press that some on here were calling gutter press when the news first broke of their interest even though it turned out in fact to be true. Those reports, while using the title 'rejected' merely lift quotes from the St Mirren statement which at no point states that he turned the role down, merely that he was staying.

A recruitment process doesn't have to be a single straight line from one candidate to the next. It's not like dominos stacked and knocked down one after the other until one stays standing to end the process. They interviewed several people during those days before finalising their choice.

http://www.the-gazette.co.uk/sport/16029213._He___s_showed_unbelievable_loyalty_to_our_football_club__St_Mirren_chief_Tony_Fitzpatrick_delighted_with_Jack_Ross__decision_to_stay_in_Paisley/

Your very own Chief Executive stating his personal belief that he thinks Jack would have got an offer, very different from 'coming back up the road with a concrete offer' to turn down.

No offer was made, nobody can prove that it was even going to be incoming (rather than the Portuguese guy actually being their preferred candidate). Jack Ross did not turn down a job offer but rather pulled out of the race. Did he do this, knowing that he wasn't getting it? Again, we don't know. The fact that he isn't in fact even getting the bumper new contract at St Mirren suggests that might have indeed been the case.

Will give you an apology for words used towards you that was stupid in my part. On the subject of Ross I will just let you think what you want. 

That one or two individuals on our side want to keep this going over specifics is a bit daft. Regardless of ins and outs Jack Ross is staying for now and thats all the matters.

Fans of every other club in this league wished him away as they appreciate the fantastic job he is doing and how talented he is. They understandably wanted him gone in the hope it  would weaken us and it should be taken as a compliment that for once we're seen as a threat. 

Edited by djchapsticks

DZ's account of happenings though appears to be a work of total fiction. There's been nothing to suggest anything approaching that timeline of events, nor would I expect anyone to have this info unless they were involved directly in the entire process.  

12 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Shut it specky.

:( .. ;)

1 hour ago, Biscuits said:

He’s staying - that’s all that matters to me

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Regardless of ins and outs Jack Ross is staying for now and thats all the matters.

Exactly! The Livi game is not going to be easy so I hope that all the emotion from the week doesn't take away from our performance today. In many ways the players could "try too hard" and the gameplan goes out the window a little, let's hope not.

Now while I was fairly certain he wouldn't go this time, do we feel approaches for him this season is now over? We can't offer him another improved deal (by my thinking that's the third he's got form us in just over a year) even if we were in a financial position to do so, but I'd like to think that he's shown a bit of fortitude. Hopefully that will put the mockers on any suitors in the coming months.

Like most I've heard the rumours regarding a bigger, and geographically close, team interested in taking him. That might or might not still happen, and if it does I can't really see how he'll knock that back - even though his personal/public persona wouldn't fit with the fan base in the slightest. Still that would be an issue for next season.

Edited by Buddist Monk

Please don't encourage him. He's getting even more tedious than Shull!!

Ross has confirmed in the Record that he was not offered it.

Good effort though DZ

Edit- the quote was;

“It’s important to stress I hadn’t been offered the Barnsley job and nor was the decision based on me thinking I wouldn’t be offered it. It was based simply on my own feeling having weighed up all the information"

Edited by madton

But yet nobody has said that. Nobody has said he is shit. They have said he was never offered the job as there is no evidence he was.

Likewise nobody said it was a done deal. They did say it was a no brainer and it was. Ross was interested in the gig.

The majority assumed he was going because of the amount of money on the table from Barnsley. Would be too good too turn down ect

We'll never know what really happened in the meeting between Barnsley and JR, along with the Dundee interest. It's best for all parties. Well apart from Tony Fitz who made an arse of it [emoji23].

It'll all be a mere footnote in the story of the past 18 months. We'll never be big enough to hang on to the very best that we produce - managers or players - but we can create an environment that makes others with great promise want to come here because of the platform we can provide.

I'd rather be this version of St Mirren, packed with enviable talent and fending off bids for our players and manager, than the one we've seen since 2015: full o' shite that no fucker wants.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

It'll all be a mere footnote in the story of the past 18 months. We'll never be big enough to hang on to the very best that we produce - managers or players - but we can create an environment that makes others with great promise want to come here because of the platform we can provide.

I'd rather be this version of St Mirren, packed with enviable talent and fending off bids for our players and manager, than the one we've seen since 2015: full o' shite that no fucker wants.

Totally agree gone are the days of paying a Scottish record transfer fee remember that. Gordon Scott has mentioned a figure required to make us a top six club so at least there is a  plan to increase income such as buddie vision, fans bar and so on.