The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

45 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The same people that say Ross turned us down despite us just dropping interest when our first choice done a u-turn.

Ross never turned you down because he was never offered a position, despite the desperate knicker flashing in the form of a scummy attempt to tap him up while on holiday by your chairman.

A complete riddy for Dundee all round to be honest, and to try and spin it in any other way is laughable.

Ross never turned you down because he was never offered a position, despite the desperate knicker flashing in the form of a scummy attempt to tap him up while on holiday by your chairman.
A complete riddy for Dundee all round to be honest, and to try and spin it in any other way is laughable.

I think that's pretty much exactly what I said. Minus the seethe.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think that's pretty much exactly what I said. Minus the seethe.

You might think that's what you said, to me it seems to be suggesting Dundee stopped chasing Jack Ross when McCann became available again, when in reality the catalyst for that change was being told "no f**k off". 

As for seethe? :lol: Yup, absolutely beelin' you caught me guv.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

You might think that's what you said, to me it seems to be suggesting Dundee stopped chasing Jack Ross when McCann became available again, when in reality the catalyst for that change was being told "no f**k off". 

As for seethe? :lol: Yup, absolutely beelin' you caught me guv.

Oft. Are you like the St Mirren version of HappyAccie or NDD? FS.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Oft. Are you like the St Mirren version of HappyAccie or NDD? FS.

I don't know who these people are. Do they also point out the errors in your timeline?

As for Dundee, I've got no beef with them. Don't particularly like McCann but he's hardly the worst out there. When we won the 1st in 99/00, the away support at Love Street stood to applaud which I've always thought was a nice touch.

So, yeah, this isn't a dig a Dundee, but there is no getting away from what was a pretty amateurish attempt to tap someone up.

4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

God he's a one man boreathon. 

Are you still pissy that the argument I gave about Ross staying, which you disagreed with, turned out to be true?

Build a bridge...

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

Buddist Monk has made almost 500 posts.

Feels like every.... single.... one of them as been on the last 10 pages of this thread.

The sarcastic answer would be, "a St Mirren fan posting on a St Mirren thread, shocker", but you are right I have been quite a frequent poster here. In my defence a huge amount of those replies have been answering other poster's questions put to me. Can't blame a guy for replying when asked, can you?

I'm loving the "he's shit and was never offered the job" comments from the same posters who were throwing out the "it's a done deal, no brainer, he's gone".. [emoji3]
Ah, revisionism.

But yet nobody has said that. Nobody has said he is shit. They have said he was never offered the job as there is no evidence he was.

Likewise nobody said it was a done deal. They did say it was a no brainer and it was. Ross was interested in the gig.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Are you still pissy that the argument I gave about Ross staying, which you disagreed with, turned out to be true?

Build a bridge...

The sarcastic answer would be, "a St Mirren fan posting on a St Mirren thread, shocker", but you are right I have been quite a frequent poster here. In my defence a huge amount of those replies have been answering other poster's questions put to me. Can't blame a guy for replying when asked, can you?

Like I said, boreathon...

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

But yet nobody has said that. Nobody has said he is shit. They have said he was never offered the job as there is no evidence he was.

It was clearly tongue in cheek, hence the :D, but it's certainly been the tone.

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

Like I said, boreathon...

If I remember my old P&B memes, I think you'll find that translates as "box office".

If I remember my old P&B memes, I think you'll find that translates as "box office".

Ah tongue in cheek. Is your insistence that you were proved right in your reasons for him staying (loves the clib, loves the players, finish the job) also tongue in cheek? When he was actually interested in the gig

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Saints fans won't give a damn, but seems he was interested in the gig but wasn't getting it. The Barnsley version of McG was on their forum throughout saying that a Portuguese guy was their first choice and the press hadn't picked up on it.

Maybe Ross intimated to the board that if it was a choice between the Barnsley offer, and the status quo, Barnsley would have got him, hence the frantic meetings and the new contract offer making him your highest paid manager ever. Whether he'd have taken the Barnsley gig over the increased St Mirren offer, nobody will ever know but seems more than likely his decision was getting made for him and he was happy to receive the extra rewards.

St Mirren won't be that bothered. The fans delighted he stayed, the club covering the costs of the increased contract by increasing the compensation required when he does leave.

It's been a good story to follow, and obviously from an outside point of view, fans of other clubs hoped it would help make the run in a little more interesting.

Part of the privilege of being a small club and having "big" clubs potentially fucking up your season at a critical stage just because they can't get their own shit in order is that when it doesn't work out, it's totally ok to make out like it was your decision and you were in control all along. :whistle

Edit: @Jamie_M is completely on my list of 'awright' Ton fans, btw. Has been on here all week with pretty measured and sensible contributions.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

There's no belief about it. It's what happened. Rightly, or wrongly, we were still pursuing Ross until the point that McCann phoned Nelms saying he'd changed his mind. I'm happy the way it has worked out (Provided we stay up of course) because it's been hilarious watching St Mirren absolutely bitch this league and United.

Dundee offered Ross terms. We countered that with a new contract with a bigger salary that is the facts.