The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The statement suggests Ross decided against the move and opted to stay at St Mirren. I'm not entirely sure that's accurate but either way it's good news for St Mirren fans.

It can't be accurate because if it was it would make some people look very stupid and also make Buddist Monk right.

It can't be accurate because if it was it would make some people look very stupid and also make Buddist Monk right.

Make who look stupid? About 90% of people on here said if Ross was offered the job it would be hard for him to turn down due to the money on offer.

Even if he was offered the job and turned it down said 90% still don't look stupid in all honesty.

13 minutes ago, GAD said:

I think I've been proven entirely right throughout all this, some others though have really covered themselves in their own shit; figuratively speaking of course.

2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Total lack of ambition. Unless Barnsley didn't  actually want him and went for someone else

I think we should be applauding a young Scottish manager for not taking 5 times the amount of money he was on to finish the job he started.

He'll get his big move in the summer/November at the very latest,

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I think we should be applauding a young Scottish manager for not taking 5 times the amount of money he was on to finish the job he started.

He'll get his big move in the summer/November at the very latest,

That's true, even though I never thought he'd go for the job he has to be applauded for sticking to the same mantra he's been quoting for the last year, rather than make himself a rich man (at least in the short term).

I also believe that the latter is also true, sadly.

Fair play to Ross, seems like there's more and more young managers who realise that the absolute graveyard of the English Championship isn't the greatest place for their career, moneys all well and fine but you look at the likes of Neilson, who left a club chasing second place in our top flight, to waste a year of his career in the English Leagues, and now has to start all over again. 

Absolutely delighted Jack Ross is staying.

However I'd be more delighted if he'd not been offered the job, and Saints had given him a big rise to keep him; than I would be if he HAD been offered the job and he stayed without a rise.

Wonder if we'll ever know what happened behind the scenes.

Right folks, question's got to be asked.
Worst case scenario - who do we go for?
The main candidates at this stage, you have to imagine would be:
Jim McIntyre
Robbie Neilson
Jim Goodwin
...Ian Cathro?
James Fowler (unless he follows suit with Jack)
David Hopkin

Other names might well be touted like Lee McCulloch, Stephen McManus, Steve Lomas (has he really been out of management for 5 years?!), McCoist [emoji38] and a plethora of usual suspects from Yogi and Butcher to Mixu and McCall.
The dearly departed (from the forums at least) Stuart Dickson has a wee chub on for Stephen Kenny and has done for a long while. He was an unmitigated disaster at Dunfermline but we all know that doesn't count for too much as he's done well at most of his other clubs.
Personally, I'd take Robbie Neilson  in a heartbeat. He's young, still has a decent enough reputation, is local and the type of guy who will land up at Killie in the summer if Stevie Clarke takes the Scotland job, so I'd be very keen for us to at least make contact as quickly as possible and sound him out.
Edit: Scotland job is now filled.....if Stevie Clarke takes the Sevco job. [emoji14] 
You definitely have far too much time on your hands FFS[emoji15]

3 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Absolutely delighted Jack Ross is staying.

However I'd be more delighted if he'd not been offered the job, and Saints had given him a big rise to keep him; than I would be if he HAD been offered the job and he stayed without a rise.

Wonder if we'll ever know what happened behind the scenes.

Double edged sword we've also had with Tommy Wright. You're paying them more, but the compensation figure also rises.