The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

The curse of having a good manager is that sooner or later another club will try to get him; that's the same for all clubs other than an elite few.
The problem for Ross is if he turns this down he can't be sure when the next chance will come; there is no way Barnsley will keep the offer open.
FWIW I reckon St Mirren have won the league regardless of whether or not Jack Ross leaves, there seems to be a togetherness among the players that mean they will drop very few points between now and the end of the season.  I think it would take a couple of long-term injuries to key players to deny St Mirren the title.

There is always jobs going in the English Championship, pretty much on a weekly/fortnightly basis and of course a decent sized job going in Govan in the summer.

In English football terms Barnsley are a small outfit, lower end of the Championship and they might even get relegated to League One.

If Ross stays and takes us up, gets a good start in the Premiership he could end up at a higher end Championship club come October time when silly season starts down there. He might not even fancy moving down South, he got homesick at Hartlepool as a player, maybe hold out for a bigger Scottish job.

3 hours ago, MacArab said:

Mixu would be a perfect fit.....

Perhaps Buddist Monk can come out of hiding and offer his eloquent, well informed opinion of who should come in????

They couldn't attract Mixu.

I see you're receiving the usual abuse from the Maureens but they have no class. They're even turning on Chick Young; someone who they went out of their way to commission a mural of in their own town. Sad.

8 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

They couldn't attract Mixu.

I see you're receiving the usual abuse from the Maureens but they have no class. They're even turning on Chick Young; someone who they went out of their way to commission a mural of in their own town. Sad.

I'm just glad your abomination of a club appointed yer man csaba, taking him out the equation should we need to appoint a new manager. From top  of the pile to 14 points behind in a matter of weeks.

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

What if he's just used Barnsley's interest to get a better contract out of St Mirren? 

I highly doubt Jack Ross would do that to St Mirren, a club he loves. If anything he'll be taking a pay cut to stay

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I highly doubt Jack Ross would do that to St Mirren, a club he loves. If anything he'll be taking a pay cut to stay

Honestly, someone on Black and White Army accused me of talking 'utter nonsense' for pointing out Ross was 'money motivated'. This is Ross who led a players' boardroom revolt over bonuses when he was here the first time.

No judgement from me: it's a job, he's a professional. But to pretend otherwise is bonkers.

21 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Honestly, someone on Black and White Army accused me of talking 'utter nonsense' for pointing out Ross was 'money motivated'. This is Ross who led a players' boardroom revolt over bonuses when he was here the first time.

No judgement from me: it's a job, he's a professional. But to pretend otherwise is bonkers.

Agreed bottom line is always money. I'm of the view Jack would like to try his luck south of the border. It's not just his decision I would think is the family happy to up root. He has a lot to weigh up. 

26 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

100% he's money motivated. Always like that at Falkirk. Not that there's anything wrong with it. 

44 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've given up on that site when you see absolute morons like Lord pity me trolling his own fan base, but with the brass neck to also have an agenda with The most successful manager we've had in years.

Right folks, question's got to be asked.

Worst case scenario - who do we go for?

The main candidates at this stage, you have to imagine would be:

Jim McIntyre

Robbie Neilson

Jim Goodwin

...Ian Cathro?

James Fowler (unless he follows suit with Jack)

David Hopkin

Other names might well be touted like Lee McCulloch, Stephen McManus, Steve Lomas (has he really been out of management for 5 years?!), McCoist :lol: and a plethora of usual suspects from Yogi and Butcher to Mixu and McCall.

The dearly departed (from the forums at least) Stuart Dickson has a wee chub on for Stephen Kenny and has done for a long while. He was an unmitigated disaster at Dunfermline but we all know that doesn't count for too much as he's done well at most of his other clubs.

Personally, I'd take Robbie Neilson  in a heartbeat. He's young, still has a decent enough reputation, is local and the type of guy who will land up at Killie in the summer if Stevie Clarke takes the Scotland job, so I'd be very keen for us to at least make contact as quickly as possible and sound him out.

Edit: Scotland job is now filled.....if Stevie Clarke takes the Sevco job. :P 

Edited by djchapsticks

I've given up on that site when you see absolute morons like Lord pity me trolling his own fan base, but with the brass neck to also have an agenda with The most successful manager we've had in years.
I chucked that years ago thanks to the roaster shull.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

I've heard Steve Clarke is going to be the next The Rangers manager. Take Gary Naysmith. I'll be devastated but I think he deserves his shot at a bigger club...

There is no vacancy at the moment but we'll keep your suggestion in mind .....

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Right folks, question's got to be asked.

Worst case scenario - who do we go for?

The main candidates at this stage, you have to imagine would be:

Jim McIntyre

Robbie Neilson

Jim Goodwin

...Ian Cathro?

James Fowler (unless he follows suit with Jack)

David Hopkin

Other names might well be touted like Lee McCulloch, Stephen McManus, Steve Lomas (has he really been out of management for 5 years?!), McCoist :lol: and a plethora of usual suspects from Yogi and Butcher to Mixu and McCall.

The dearly departed (from the forums at least) Stuart Dickson has a wee chub on for Stephen Kenny and has done for a long while. He was an unmitigated disaster at Dunfermline but we all know that doesn't count for too much as he's done well at most of his other clubs.

Personally, I'd take Robbie Neilson  in a heartbeat. He's young, still has a decent enough reputation, is local and the type of guy who will land up at Killie in the summer if Stevie Clarke takes the Scotland job, so I'd be very keen for us to at least make contact as quickly as possible and sound him out.

Robbie Neilson for me is a no brainer as a replacement. 

No offence to James Fowler but I don't think he'd be our long term solution. Should steady the ship enough to see us through to the summer though if needed and Jack wants an older head beside him at Barnsley.