The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

So have we got past the point of some saints fans going, "Listen to what he has said for the last year", and other less informed funsters giving it the "it's all for the money"?

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If it turned out he was offered the job then it'd be a no-brainer to take it.

So that's a no, we haven't.

On 13/02/2018 at 10:12, Buddist Monk said:

You have a relegation mired championship club and you have very experienced managers like Monk or McCarthy. Do you think Ross competes? All he's done is turn an underperforming lower league Scottish around. To us, that's fucking great, in the grand scheme of things? It's nothing.

23 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

I am also amazed that people, normal sensible people, who know the kudos the Scottish lower leagues have outside this country (ie: next to none) are suddenly hailing Ross as the messiah and on par with very experienced English Championship managers. Very odd.

23 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Massive gamble compared to waiting 6 months and having a considerably better pick of teams (should he choose so).

You appear to be having your cake and eating it here. You're saying it's highly unlikely that Barnsley will go for Ross because he doesn't have enough experience while there are experienced Championship managers available, but you're also saying the move wouldn't make sense for Ross either because he could get a far better Championship club than Barnsley in the near future.

If he doesn't have the required pedigree for a relegation threatened English Championship side just now, when he has established a 14-point lead at the top of the division with a club who were clear favourites to go down 12 months previously, is the formality of wrapping the title up over the next couple of months really going to enhance his reputation so much that a bigger club in the same division is going to take a look at him in a few months time?

You can't have it both ways: if he's already good enough for Barnsley he can turn them down in the hope of a better offer in the summer, but if he's beneath the Barnsley job at the moment he's hardly going to be a top candidate for a club the stature of Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday surely?

Obviously there's no reason for St. Mirren fans to panic that he's definitely going to go. As you've said, Barnsley may well decide a manager with Championship experience is a safer option at the moment, and even if they do approach Ross might genuinely feel it's not worth the risk with having less time to turn Barnsley round than he had taking St. Mirren over last season. You can see why waiting until the summer after he's won the title then either having a shot at the top flight here or moving to England when he's in a position to build his own squad would be more appealing to any manager.

There's only one person lashing out at anyone who disagrees on this thread though, and it's not any of those saying there's a chance he might go. It's feasible that Barnsley will decide against him and it's also feasible that Ross will be linked with bigger clubs than Barnsley in the not too distant future, but it is not "wetting your pants" or "melodrama", two terms you've used, to suggest there's the slightest possibility he'd take it. It'd be ridiculous to suggest he's definitely going, but it's equally ridiculous to entirely dismiss the possibility.

Would be gutted if Jack leaves but let’s be honest, would be a great career move for him & definitely couldn’t hold it against him.

If he doesn’t go I think it would give everyone at the club another wee lift to steer us towards the title.

Time will tell.

27 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

.. stuff ..

I said it's unlikely Barnsley would go for Ross because of the other far more experienced candidates, that is in no way at odds with the assumption that if he continues to do well he'll get linked to championship jobs. Almost the entirety of your post is about proving some conflict in my opinion; having my cake as it were.

All you've done though is correlate. Is Ross capable of managing at that level? Probably. Would teams be interested? Probably. Will there be Championship jobs available in the future? Probably. Is a successful manager going to get linked with them? Probably.

I hope that clears it up a little for you. As for the rest of your post...

"lashing out", that's hilarious. I'm stating the blindingly obvious, and tempering it with what the guy himself has said. I don't see anywhere I have been confrontational or down right rude. So I'm not sure of the validity of this claim.

I have at no point entirely dismissed the possibility.

So, really, I should give you a +1 simply for taking the time and dissecting what is going on here, however I can't because you've misinterpreted (misappropriated/misunderstood, take your pick of the least inflammatory terms) what I have said. Who knows, maybe this is an issue with my communication. I mean I don't feel I have been unclear.

What is entirely clear is that there are an absolute shit ton of people on here who have never listened to a Jack Ross interview in their lives, who are now postulating his moves based on their own grubby desires for more money.

Edited by Buddist Monk
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ .. f'king grammar, it's always the grammar..

What is entirely clear is that there are an absolute shit ton of people on here who have never listened to a Jack Ross interview in their lives, who are now postulating his moves based on their own grubby desires for more money.

No there isn't. It's the absolute bog standard discussion that surrounds any manager or player being linked with a bigger club.

It's a football forum for people to discuss such matters. Having read through the thread the majority are sensibly discussing it and giving their opinion on the matter. Whether that opinion is "he wants to stay, I listen to his interviews" or "he's set to earn a mammoth wage, it seems a no brainer" both are perfectly logical opinions with neither being ridiculous notions coming from people who think they are 'ITK'.

You do seem to display a bit of a defensive tone when anyone dares to have a differing opinion from yourself which is fairly odd given the nature of 90% of the comments made on this thread so far.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

No there isn't. It's the absolute bog standard discussion that surrounds any manager or player being linked with a bigger club.

What you have stated is in no way mutually exclusive to my claim.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

You do seem to display a bit of a defensive tone when anyone dares to have a differing opinion from yourself which is fairly odd given the nature of 90% of the comments made on this thread so far.

Exasperated is probably the best word.

Edited by Buddist Monk

22 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I said it's unlikely Barnsley would go for Ross because of the other far more experienced candidates, that is in no way at odds with the assumption that if he continues to do well he'll get linked to championship jobs. Almost the entirety of your post is about proving some conflict in my opinion; having my cake as it were.

All you've done though is correlate. Is Ross capable of managing at that level? Probably. Would teams be interested? Probably. Will there be Championship jobs available in the future? Probably. Is a successful manager going to get linked with them? Probably.

I hope that clears it up a little for you. As for the rest of your post...

"lashing out", that's hilarious. I'm stating the blindingly obvious, and tempering it with what the guy himself has said. I don't see anywhere I have been confrontational or down right rude. So I'm not sure of the validity of this claim.

I have at no point entirely dismissed the possibility.

So, really, I should give you a +1 simply for taking the time and dissecting what is going on here, however I can't because you've misinterpreted (misappropriated/misunderstood, take your pick of the least inflammatory terms) what I have said. Who knows, maybe this is an issue with my communication. I mean I don't feel I have been unclear.

This from the man who had a go at somebody else for being condescending yesterday :lol:

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

About what?

Like I said no one is being ridiculous about it. Whether you agree with them or not.

Two fold, really.

Our own fanbase are notorious knicker wetters. I mean, I love them in a misanthropic manner, but we really we can be our own worst enemy. The idea that as things are going well it's all going to go tits up and a possible link with Ross is given far more weight than it really should.

The other side is fans who have never listened to Ross making huge assumptions. Now just because I've followed his comments doesn't make me an expert on the matter but I'd maybe consider that it provides more of an insight. The whole "well it's money" without actually justifying that is also part of that exasperation.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

This from the man who had a go at somebody else for being condescending yesterday :lol:

I'd love for you to point out anywhere in my reply that is condescending. I thought I was being entirely fair, the poster was claiming some dichotomy. It didn't exist.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Because most managers will have ambitions to move up the ladder rather than stay where they are.

So every manager will take a bigger job no matter what. Doesn't matter the current position they are in, their home life and family, doesn't matter the league position they are going to or the longevity of managers in that league. Absolutely none of that matters.

So every manager will take a bigger job no matter what. Doesn't matter the current position they are in, their home life and family, doesn't matter the league position they are going to or the longevity of managers in that league. Absolutely none of that matters.

The league position they are in is completely irrelevant if the offer comes from a significantly higher league. Do you think Ross would genuinely think "I can't take on a Championship club, because I'm sitting comfy at the top of the Scottish Championship"? Family is obviously a personal thing. I'm talking about it in a football sense though. If a manager believes in his own ability I doubt they will consider the longevity of other managers (unless it was perhaps the Leeds job).

7 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I'd love for you to point out anywhere in my reply that is condescending. I thought I was being entirely fair, the poster was claiming some dichotomy. It didn't exist.

You're claiming to know better than everyone because you've watched Jack Ross' interviews.

The club are quoted in the Herald this morning as being "confident of keeping Jack " in this case until the end of the season at least. This is the exact same quote used when Dundee made an approach in the summer . Gut feeling is he won't be going anywhere for now , even if he's offered the job at Barnsley. Rumour is at least one big club have notified St Mirren of their interest in Ross , and will pursue him during the close season !