The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

32 minutes ago, Hawk said:

The Sun prints a story.

The Sun's sister betting site changes some odds accordingly.

The fact that the odds have changed generates further news.

And so on.

If nothing else, it got us a mention on The Totally Football League Show. By coincidence (genuinely, as he was also on a few weeks back) their guest was League Cup winning legend Sam Parkin, scorer of the thumpingest header I've ever seen.

He's going to go at some point, and if Barnsley do want him I think he should take it. I can understand why some would be surprised that they would want him. On paper I suppose he's really achieved nothing yet, and at a fairly low level, but I think its fairly obvious he has something about him, and that won't have gone unnoticed. His signings for St Mirren have been fantastic, and recruitment is so important. He got exactly the right players, and has built on it in each window. He also seems to be one of the main reasons most of these guys are there. The players clearly love working for him.

It might be a step too far for him, who knows, but my gut feeling is he's going to be a success wherever he goes. Hope he stays, but good luck to him if he doesn't.

If Barnsley want Ross then I'd imagine he'd go. Massive hike in salary, opportunity to work with better players. I'd be surprised if he turned it down.

I'm still not convinced that he'll be the man they want mind you. Their in a real relegation battle, from their point of view Ross would be a risk. I reckon they'll look for someone with more experience.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

If Barnsley want Ross then I'd imagine he'd go. Massive hike in salary, opportunity to work with better players. I'd be surprised if he turned it down.

I'm still not convinced that he'll be the man they want mind you. Their in a real relegation battle, from their point of view Ross would be a risk. I reckon they'll look for someone with more experience.

But other teams have better players unless im reading the English Championship upside down. 

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

But Barnsley will have better players than us and be able to attract better players than us, which was my point.

What if they get relegated? My point is Jack would stand a good chance of being sacked. My gut feeling is Jack will stay he will get a  better gig than this. However Barnsley were bought over quite recently so if Jack is promised money for a rebuild in the summer he will be off. 

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

What if they get relegated? My point is Jack would stand a good chance of being sacked. My gut feeling is Jack will stay he will get a  better gig than this. However Barnsley were bought over quite recently so if Jack is promised money for a rebuild in the summer he will be off. 

Anyone taking a job in the English Championship is taking a risk, the turnover of managers is staggering.  My gut feeling is he'll stay too, but I think that'll be more to do with Barnsley going for someone else. 

Look at Robbie Neilson, he left Hearts who were 3rd in the Scottish Premiership to go to MK Dons who were stuggling in league 1 in England. That said he lasted just over a year and got the bullet so maybe serves as a warning.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Anyone taking a job in the English Championship is taking a risk, the turnover of managers is staggering.  My gut feeling is he'll stay too, but I think that'll be more to do with Barnsley going for someone else. 

Look at Robbie Neilson, he left Hearts who were 3rd in the Scottish Premiership to go to MK Dons who were stuggling in league 1 in England. That said he lasted just over a year and got the bullet so maybe serves as a warning.

A risk to staying employed in his next job for the medium term, but an absolute no brainer financially. Worst case scenario, he signs a 2 year deal, fails to keep them up, gets binned in the summer, gets his contract paid up and heads back up the road having pocketed serious coin to find another gig, easily.

A risk to staying employed in his next job for the medium term, but an absolute no brainer financially. Worst case scenario, he signs a 2 year deal, fails to keep them up, gets binned in the summer, gets his contract paid up and heads back up the road having pocketed serious coin to find another gig, easily.

I have to agree