The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

On the flip side, does that mean I am lauded when we do officially receive the title? Will you United boys be sending down a bus for my party? ;)

That's internet forums in a nutshell, BM. Nobody gives a f**k if you're correct, but if you are proven wrong, it's open season.

46 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Overall - financial, status, progression, shop window for further progression, bigger club, bigger games, the list goes on.

Even if it was just financial, only in football would people expect someone to easily turn that down.

And far too much significance is being given to a potential Scottish Championship win on his CV, which he would still claim anyway even if he left today.

Quite. Presumably if he was a player he’d already have enough appearances for a medal should we go on and win it.  

I don’t think this is the move he will make but it will come soon enough. All a bit unsettling but a win on Saturday would help a lot.

Quite. Presumably if he was a player he’d already have enough appearances for a medal should we go on and win it.  
I don’t think this is the move he will make but it will come soon enough. All a bit unsettling but a win on Saturday would help a lot.

Indeed. Do managers get medals? Would he get one anyway? Not sure how it works. But if St Mirren still sail to the title from here, with his team, it's still hos achievement.

Did Jackie McNamara not have a legal battle with Thistle to try to get his title winner bonus after leaving midway?

Given Barnsley's predicament in the league I imagine they will move pretty swiftly to get their new manager in. I'd imagine one way or the other this will be resolved in the next few days.

The salary increase of around 5 times what he's on at the moment will swing it in favour of JR taking the Barnsley gig if he does actually get interviewed for the job.

Lets not forget that Barnsley have had over 100 applicants and will have more experienced managers in line for the job. 

Nothing from Barnsley official just a pish story in the Sun. Enough said.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Normally I would agree with you. 

However, in the summer, St Mirren knocked back an offer from Burton Albion, a side who were always likely to be (and are) struggling in the English Championship for Lewis Morgan. 

Jack Ross was interviewed in the wake of this and asked if Lewis was upset, disappointed or angry at missing out his chance to prove himself at a higher level and Jack said to the press that Lewis has confidence in his own ability to be certain that bigger and better opportunities were coming by continuing to do what he's doing. That he'd bide his time and get the big move as he had belief in his ability to do so. 

Jack Ross will almost certainly apply that advice to himself that he imparted onto Morgan. I'm not saying he won't take the Barnsley job if offered. He might well do so if the job and opportunity appeals to him. I'm saying that your logic of him taking it as his fear of a job not being there in 6 months due to his stock potentially falling doesn't really apply to him.

If it did he'd have jumped ship a league upwards to Dundee at the first opportunity. 

Anyway, Que sera. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Couldn't stomach such a wonderful man going to Sevco in the summer though. 

Fair points and I can accept that, JR clearly has belief in himself and he may well have his sights set higher.  I don't doubt if a Barnsley offer is forthcoming that he'll be tempted though.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yep. You could well imagine a club such as Swansea taking a punt on him sooner rather than later.

Aye if you are playing Football manager

I dont see any of our managers being touted for jobs at the higher level of the championship or prem down south. I cant even think of a manager who has left managing in Scotland to get a decent job in the championship apart from Strachan in recent years and that wasnt yesterday, never mind a manager who has managed Alloa and then St Mirren to a great escape in 3/4 of a season and probably a league title. Stubb's of course got a gig at Rotherham but that shows where winning a cup up here whilst 2nd tier gets you, a club that were favourites to go down, tho he did it in style.

The managers who are currently employed up here will have to do a lot more to be seriously considered with jobs in the top two leagues down south, Rodgers could win 3 or 4 trebles and still be considered no better than he left England to manage up here due to the competition. 

I personally feel I have more chance of getting the Barnsley job than Ross, In time Ross may get the chance of such a job of a lower end strugglers in the 2nd tier but only once he has done something in the top league up here or cups.

27 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The salary increase of around 5 times what he's on at the moment will swing it in favour of JR taking the Barnsley gig if he does actually get interviewed for the job.

Lets not forget that Barnsley have had over 100 applicants and will have more experienced managers in line for the job. 

Nothing from Barnsley official just a pish story in the Sun. Enough said.

Pretty sure that when Jack was a player he went to Hartlepool and suffered so badly from homesickness he got signed off sick, breached his contract etc.

Given that Barnsley is further away than Hartlepool I dont think St Mirren fans have too much to worry about.

ps. I don't think he will get offered the Barnsley job anyway.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

Aye if you are playing Football manager
I dont see any of our managers being touted for jobs at the higher level of the championship or prem down south. I cant even think of a manager who has left managing in Scotland to get a decent job in the championship apart from Strachan in recent years and that wasnt yesterday, never mind a manager who has managed Alloa and then St Mirren to a great escape in 3/4 of a season and probably a league title. Stubb's of course got a gig at Rotherham but that shows where winning a cup up here whilst 2nd tier gets you, a club that were favourites to go down, tho he did it in style.
The managers who are currently employed up here will have to do a lot more to be seriously considered with jobs in the top two leagues down south, Rodgers could win 3 or 4 trebles and still be considered no better than he left England to manage up here due to the competition. 
I personally feel I have more chance of getting the Barnsley job than Ross, In time Ross may get the chance of such a job of a lower end strugglers in the 2nd tier but only once he has done something in the top league up here or cups.

I’d say Alex Neil was the last one to get a gebuinely good opportunity down south, but he was top (or near the top) of the prem with Hamilton when he was poached.

Probably unfairly sacked in the end from Norwich but not surprising - currently doing a decent job at Preston

5 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

A lot of people don't seem to realise Barnsley are minted now.

Ross will be away if offered the job.

Interesting quote at the end of that article:

"It's also expected that head coach Paul Heckingbottom is going to sign a new contract. If that is confirmed in the next few days, it'll cap a great week for the Reds."

This is from less than 2 months ago :lol:

Interesting quote at the end of that article:
"It's also expected that head coach Paul Heckingbottom is going to sign a new contract. If that is confirmed in the next few days, it'll cap a great week for the Reds."
This is from less than 2 months ago [emoji38]

He signed a new contract. On the 2nd February. He jumped ship to Leeds on the 6th.

Same situation as mallan for me.

Young at his particular trade
Showing lots of potential
Barnsley are a step up
More Cash
More Exposure
Risk of failing (where isnt?)

For me id wish him well if he goes and would be looking forward to great loanees for the rest of his career. Maybe he could start by buying one of our stars for a few million to set us on our way.

In 6 weeks or so we should be champs. Invite him back to lift the cup with us.

So according to Douglas McNeil there has been no official approach from Barnsley but he's been shortlisted. Abysmal timing from our point of view should an approach come never mind if Jack goes, but we know he will leave us at some point anyway. 

Whilst Barnsley is certainly a different kettle of fish from Dundee in the summer, is it a good gig? He's then got to uproot to England to manage a side in deep trouble at the wrong end, with no transfer window till the end of season into a league where managers don't get time. That said, I get the allure of working in the Championship in England,  the money side of it too, but history is full of players and coaches who went to 'wrong club at wrong time'. 

Clearly emotions are running high.  

Politicians and football managers.  All destined to end, eventually, in failure.  (Stand fast SAF).  

Jack will leave.  He will go on to better things with bigger clubs.  If he goes sooner then he'll leave a Saints legend having just about secured our promotion.  If he stays, and i think he will, then all the better for us.  

Easy.  

1 minute ago, Young gun said:

Nothing like a rumour from the Sun,to bring all the waifs and strays on our thread talking shite:thumsup2

You missed out the desperate straw clutchers, first passing piece of flotsam the stragglers have had in weeks, cut them a bit of slack they have all had a chastening season.