The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

Completely right.

Completely wrong.

Are you serious? The Championship is shedding jobs at the rate of 2 managers a month just now.

You would be completely surprised if Jack Ross took a wage rise of 5x his salary to go and manage in the 3rd most watched league in European football, rather than staying at St Mirren for a Scottish Championship winners medal?

Which Championship clubs will definitely offer him a job in 6 months time?  

1 minute ago, Young gun said:

FFS Barnsley 

Lots of scrambling from other clubs praying Jack goes.

Reeks of desperation and it’s that Rag 

In Jack I trust 8)

Reveal hidden contents

It's the opposite going on here, St Mirren fans scrambling to shout down anyone who says the move would make sense from Jack Ross' point of view. As a Dumbarton fan I can assure you it makes absolutely no difference to me who your manager is.

Jack will eventually leave St.Mirren. If it's Barnsley it's Barnsley. If it isn't them it will be another club bigger than us.

That's the way of the world and it's great to have a successful manager for a change and not one we are having to sack!

Personally I hope he stays and finishes off this job. He'll almost certainly get other offers in the summer if he does go on and win the title with Saints.

2 minutes ago, Soctty said:

You're frothing at the mouth..

If anything I've been a voice of reason, so much so you need to resort to suggesting I am naive and angry. I can assure you I am neither.

I find the pant wetting acceptance that "ooh, it's a big club", "ooh, it's a lot of money" to be just too simplistic and a massive generalisation.

Am I saying Barnsely wouldn't be interested? No, I am not, although as been pointed out here there has been no formal contact. Am I saying he'd speak to them if asked? Yes, I think he would and I'd encourage him to. Am I saying he'd be offered the job? No, I really don't see how he will be, it would be far too big a gamble for Barnsley.  Am I saying he'd take the job right now if offered? No, I don't think he would.

As for the idea I am getting worked up about this is laughable, no one man is bigger than the club and the back of the league has been broken so all he needs to do is wait a few months for his first ever managerial silverware. Do you think he's going to give up that, even aside all the rest of the reasons I don't think he'd leave - just now.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

If anything I've been a voice of reason, so much so you need to resort to suggesting I am naive and angry. I can assure you I am neither.

I find the pant wetting acceptance that "ooh, it's a big club", "ooh, it's a lot of money" to be just too simplistic and a massive generalisation.

Am I saying Barnsely wouldn't be interested? No, I am not, although as been pointed out here there has been no formal contact. Am I saying he'd speak to them if asked? Yes, I think he would and I'd encourage him to. Am I saying he'd be offered the job? No, I really don't see how he will be, it would be far too big a gamble for Barnsley.  Am I saying he'd take the job right now if offered? No, I don't think he would.

As for the idea I am getting worked up about this is laughable, no one man is bigger than the club and the back of the league has been broken so all he needs to do is wait a few months for his first ever managerial silverware. Do you think he's going to give up that, even aside all the rest of the reasons I don't think he'd leave - just now.

We've got a live one here... :lol:

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You would be completely surprised if Jack Ross took a wage rise of 5x his salary to go and manage in the 3rd most watched league in European football, rather than staying at St Mirren for a Scottish Championship winners medal?

Yes. Although I'll caveat it with a "surprised" rather than "completely surprised". However it's a considerably more subtle situation that your rather slanted take on the matter.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Which Championship clubs will definitely offer him a job in 6 months time? 

Now you are just arguing for the sake of it.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's the opposite going on here, St Mirren fans scrambling to shout down anyone who says the move would make sense from Jack Ross' point of view. As a Dumbarton fan I can assure you it makes absolutely no difference to me who your manager is.

What utter bullshit. Nobody is scrambling or shouting down. Such melodrama on your part. What some of us are trying to point out is that there needs to be a bit of level headed contemplation from some St Mirren fans. We are, as a bunch, ridiculously negative and we really need to stop being so.

Yeah, I understand why a Morton fan wouldn't really have followed his conversations, and those actions that came from them.
Am I somehow ITK and have an inside track to Ross' mind? Of course not, but certainly from everything he's said and demonstrated for him to walk away from a team he has lead to the Championship title just doesn't seem "credible" as you put it.

FFS Barnsley 
Lots of scrambling from other clubs praying Jack goes.
Reeks of desperation and it’s that Rag 
In Jack I trust 8)
Spoiler  

But as i said, talk is talk until a lucrative offer is on the table.

Is he intending to jump? No. Does he want to complete the job at St Mirren? Absolutely. Will his mindset change if a lucrative offer of genuine progression is on the table? Quite possibly.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm not sure he's the angry one here tbqhwy...

I don't think anyone is angry here. That is the very point I was making by posting that.

Just now, Soctty said:

I'm seething... :thumsup2

Neither of us are, which just shows the superfluousness of your suggestion I was.

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Is he intending to jump? No. Does he want to complete the job at St Mirren? Absolutely. Will his mindset change if a lucrative offer of genuine progression is on the table? Quite possibly.

Ross will go at some time, I just don't see the overall benefit of it being Barnsley at present.

12 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Yes. Although I'll caveat it with a "surprised" rather than "completely surprised". However it's a considerably more subtle situation that your rather slanted take on the matter.

Now you are just arguing for the sake of it.

What utter bullshit. Nobody is scrambling or shouting down. Such melodrama on your part. What some of us are trying to point out is that there needs to be a bit of level headed contemplation from some St Mirren fans. We are, as a bunch, ridiculously negative and we really need to stop being so.

Fair enough, we disagree on point 1.

Arguing for the sake of it? You explicitly said he could wait 6 months and get a bigger job in the Championship. Your only basis for that is "Championship jobs are going thick and fast" which whilst it might be true doesn't mean that Jack Ross will be considered for them.  If he gets an offer from Barnsley then that's all he can consider, he can't sit there thinking "aye but Derby or someone might fancy me in the summer".

No, you're trying to point out that Barnsley would be a bad move for Jack Ross. I think you might be in the minority there. Most other Saints fans I see are taking the "if he goes, he goes" approach, I don't see much knicker wetting going on at all.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Just several hundred thousand pounds.

You seemed to have missed the word "overall" in my comment. Financially beneficial it may be, but that is only one tiny part of the situation.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Fair enough, we disagree on point 1.

Arguing for the sake of it? You explicitly said he could wait 6 months and get a bigger job in the Championship. Your only basis for that is "Championship jobs are going thick and fast" which whilst it might be true doesn't mean that Jack Ross will be considered for them.  If he gets an offer from Barnsley then that's all he can consider, he can't sit there thinking "aye but Derby or someone might fancy me in the summer".

No, you're trying to point out that Barnsley would be a bad move for Jack Ross. I think you might be in the minority there. Most other Saints fans I see are taking the "if he goes, he goes" approach, I don't see much knicker wetting going on at all.

I never said he'd get a bigger job, I said jobs in the Championship are not rare. Which they aren't. You could argue there won't be any available next season but in doing that you are simply arguing against the evidence of season's past. You then go all out in some sort of whatabootey stream of consciousness. So all in all that second paragraph makes little sense.

As for the knicker wetting, like the Morton fan I understand why a supporter of another team would only have a cursory grasp of the psyche of a fanbase I've been part of for (many) decades. If there is one thing St Mirren fans do, it's dour, and they do that in abundance. Ever hear us boo, ffs? We are masters of the perceived slight. Our fan base has been knicker wetting for years, and because Ross is clearly an asset the mindset is that we will somehow automatically lose him to anyone, just fucking anyone - in fact the idea that he didn't go to Dundee is still surprising to some of our support.

Buddist Monk really isn't taking this well, can't imagine the meltdown he'll have if/when Ross does leave.

If an offer did come in I wonder if he'd ask them if he can start next season, just so that he can get a title under his belt to add to his already good reputation. Barnsley probably wouldn't want that though and it'd be a case of massive pay rise or win a title.

5 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Buddist Monk really isn't taking this well, can't imagine the meltdown he'll have if/when Ross does leave.

I don't think you are taking this well, in fact it's clear you are fuming. No? Oh, right you're not, and neither am I. Shall we put to rest the rather transparent school playground explicit assumptions?

I may be a (frustratingly) lone voice in my opinion but that won't stop me pointing out utterly obvious points. If people think "am raging" then tediosity is clearly the norm on here.

Edited by Buddist Monk

5 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

If an offer did come in I wonder if he'd ask them if he can start next season, just so that he can get a title under his belt to add to his already good reputation. Barnsley probably wouldn't want that though and it'd be a case of massive pay rise or win a title.

Think Hopkins might be a good replacement