The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Soctty said:

If he's offered the job, I'd be amazed if he turned it down...

I'd be amazed if he did.

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

With all that being said, I can't see them actually offering him the job, given his inexperience.

If people actually took the time to look at the other candidates then they would agree with you. I certainly do.

You have a relegation mired championship club and you have very experienced managers like Monk or McCarthy. Do you think Ross competes? All he's done is turn an underperforming lower league Scottish around. To us, that's fucking great, in the grand scheme of things? It's nothing.

22 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Yeah, have you looked at Barnsley's position? They aren't going anywhere other than downward. The mischievous amongst us might suggest he's got more chance of taking St Mirren the English Premier than Barnsley!

He could go to Barsnley and keep them up, then start next season very well (much like he has done with St Mirren) and catch the eye of someone like Swansea or Brighton. It's hardly ridiculous to suggest that working in the English Championship will give him a better chance of making it to the English Premiership.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I'd be amazed if he did.

If people actually took the time to look at the other candidates then they would agree with you. I certainly do.

You have a relegation mired championship club and you have very experienced managers like Monk or McCarthy. Do you think Ross competes? All he's done is turn an underperforming lower league Scottish around. To us, that's fucking great, in the grand scheme of things? It's nothing.

I agree that he's very unlikely to be offered it, unless a string of others turn it down. If he's offered it though, he'd jump at the chance, and rightly so.

Just now, The Moonster said:

He could go to Barsnley and keep them up, then start next season very well (much like he has done with St Mirren) and catch the eye of someone like Swansea or Brighton. It's hardly ridiculous to suggest that working in the English Championship will give him a better chance of making it to the English Premiership.

Spot on - glad someone sees sense...

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Plus, Swansea have very recently appointed a guy who was sacked by a Championship club. Or, there are feckin massive clubs in the championship now. It's a huge, well-watched league.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Plus, Swansea have very recently appointed a guy who was sacked by a Championship club. Or, there are feckin massive clubs in the championship now. It's a huge, well-watched league.

Indeed, just last season it was the 3rd most watched league in Europe - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42704713

The exposure he'd gain from keeping Barnsley there and starting next season well would be absolutely huge. 

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Of course he could keep Barnsley up, as I state before though it's a completely different situation than the one he found at St Mirren.

I am also amazed that people, normal sensible people, who know the kudos the Scottish lower leagues have outside this country (ie: next to none) are suddenly hailing Ross as the messiah and on par with very experienced English Championship managers. Very odd.

9 minutes ago, Soctty said:

If he's offered it though, he'd jump at the chance, and rightly so.

Have you actually listened to Ross over the last year? Other than saying he'd like to test himself at a higher level, absolutely everything else he has said is contrary to your premise.

Have you actually listened to Ross over the last year? Other than saying he'd like to test himself at a higher level, absolutely everything else he has said is contrary to your premise.

Talk is talk until a credible offer for a huge step up is on the table (no Dundee. That is not you).

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Please, for f**k sake, have some perspective. Carvalho is no spring chicken. Ross has had a couple of jobs, Carvalho so far has managed; Espinho, Freamunde, Vizela, Aves, Leixões, Vitória Setúbal, Belenenses, Braga, Beira-Mar, Vitória Setúbal, Asteras Tripoli, Marítimo, Sporting CP, Besiktas, Istanbul BB, Sheffield Wednesday before Swansea - and did so over 2 decades.

You seem a decent poster but that analogy is just bat shit crazy.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Indeed, just last season it was the 3rd most watched league in Europe - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42704713

The exposure he'd gain from keeping Barnsley there and starting next season well would be absolutely huge. 

Which makes it all the more important not to shoot your bolt at the first girl who lifts her dress. Massive gamble compared to waiting 6 months and having a considerably better pick of teams (should he choose so).

Just now, Jamie_M said:

Talk is talk until a credible offer for a huge step up is on the table (no Dundee. That is not you).

Yeah, I understand why a Morton fan wouldn't really have followed his conversations, and those actions that came from them.

Am I somehow ITK and have an inside track to Ross' mind? Of course not, but certainly from everything he's said and demonstrated for him to walk away from a team he has lead to the Championship title just doesn't seem "credible" as you put it.

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Of course he could keep Barnsley up, as I state before though it's a completely different situation than the one he found at St Mirren.

I am also amazed that people, normal sensible people, who know the kudos the Scottish lower leagues have outside this country (ie: next to none) are suddenly hailing Ross as the messiah and on par with very experienced English Championship managers. Very odd.

Maybe it's the fact that we haven't had to fight to keep hold of our manager for decades that has led you to this naivety. You're unlikely to be upset on this occasion, but at some point our manager will leave for a better opportunity, not to mention significant financial rewards for him and his family.

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Of course the situation is different, I never said it was the same, just that if he gets results with Barsnley he could very well attract bigger clubs given the league they play in.

I don't see anyone saying he's up there with the best/most experienced managers in the English Championship, but it's not surprising that some clubs might be looking at him from there, even less surprising if Jack Ross takes the job.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

Which makes it all the more important not to shoot your bolt at the first girl who lifts her dress. Massive gamble compared to waiting 6 months and having a considerably better pick of teams (should he choose so).

What jobs will he be offered in 6 months time?  

..but it's not surprising that some clubs might be looking at him from there..

Completely right.

..even less surprising if Jack Ross takes the job.

Completely wrong.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

What jobs will he be offered in 6 months time?  

Are you serious? The Championship is shedding jobs at the rate of 2 managers a month just now.

7 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Maybe it's the fact that we haven't had to fight to keep hold of our manager for decades that has led you to this naivety. You're unlikely to be upset on this occasion, but at some point our manager will leave for a better opportunity, not to mention significant financial rewards for him and his family.

Yeah, this post is just condescending. You are wetting your pants about this and yet I am the one that's naive?

Edited by Buddist Monk

6 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

You seem a decent poster but that analogy is just bat shit crazy.

That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me. The first part, anyway.

I was merely pointing out that the Championship is a decent route to the Premier League, and that being sacked by a Champ club is not necessarily a barrier. Point taken about experience in the Carvalho case, but how much experience did Garry Monk have when Swansea gave him the job? What about Chris Hughton - he generally kicked around the championship before striking gold with/for Brighton?

I do hope you're correct, and you're probably being more rational about the whole situation than I am, but my point is that, if you're Jack Ross, then heading to Barnsley isn't the dead end you seem to be suggesting it is. That level is full of managers who only seem to have a job becuase they have previously managed in the Championship. It sometimes seems like a job for life, albeit with a range of different clubs. I'd be wanting some of that if I was him.

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

Yeah, this post is just condescending. You are wetting your pants about this and yet I am the on naive?

:lol: Condescending. You're frothing at the mouth at anyone remotely disagreeing with your own assertion. A grip on reality is required by you if you're to avoid a full meltdown in the future.

"You are wetting your pants about this" - wetting my pants at Jack not being offered the Barnsley job? :blink:

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

...but how much experience did Garry Monk have when Swansea gave him the job? What about Chris Hughton - he generally kicked around the championship before striking gold with/for Brighton?

Really? I feel you do not frequent wikipedia then.

You mean Chris Hughton who got Newcastle promoted, and Birmingham into the playoffs, or perhaps you mean Gary Monk who was a Swansea player, then coach, then caretaker manager then manager over a decade or so. Both of those were not randoms picked up from the lower leagues of Scotland.