The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

And the non-sequitur of the week goes to...

1 minute ago, Dindeleux said:

Glad to see St Mirren confirmed in 12th spot in the Premiership next season.

#TB4

Anyway my 2 cents worth on this:

I thought everyone knew that if one of the plum jobs popped up in Scotland (Dundee does not count as one of these) or an offer from abroad he'd be given the chance to speak to them. If I was in the position I'd speak to them, it's always good to get an idea of your worth.

Now, in terms of going, I am far from certain that he'll either be in the final running for the job, nor that the move would be beneficial to him (and presumably Fowler too). Let's look at it, we're 14 points ahead, Ross has never won silverware as a manager, do you think he's going to walk away from that? When we are back up in the premier he'll have even more pull in terms of teams and then maybe I'd be worried. Then there is his recent acquisition of players and the chat used to get them. For him to turn around and move on would seem to go against his character.

All this hasn't even touched on the Barnsley situation, which while commanding a larger budget and better stadia is a club that has gone through 5 managers in 5 seasons and are fighting a relegation battle with the likes of Birmingham, Sunderland and Hull. Far bigger teams with far greater resources. Not saying it can't be done, but it's a bit of a "hospital pass". This is before you spot the other linked managers like Monk or McCarthy who, you'd feel, would be far better suited to a lower league English relegation dogfight.

So... in short? I don't think he'll go, and there are lots of reasons to think that, but even if he did, we're 14 points clear in a league where United are currently shitting the bed and the rest of the contenders are squabbling amongst themselves. Even Tommy Craig would get this lot over the line from here (heh, just!)

On 09/02/2018 at 12:05, Coventry Saint said:

It's nice having a weekend off when you're so far clear in the league. A wee rest could prove to be very important for our squad ahead of the run in, which I think could be tighter than some are predicting.

giphy.gif

Oaft!  Come on, diddy team supporters should  know never to sit back and relax halfway through a season - never mind how  many points clear.  Only done when it's done.

Ross to Barnsley is  a huge hit for you.  Shame, he's done an amazing job and it would have been good to see how he did against the Premier teams.  Who the hell do you get in now though...?  Danny Lennon....?

3 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Money talks...he'll take it if offered. Even if he was a disaster in England he would still walk into a job here, as the English clubs have more money than sense and demand instant success.

Sometimes managers need time, but they don't get that in England.  Some good managers have been sacked as paying compensation is no problem.

Even if he was sacked at the end of this season he would still walk away with a handsome some of money knowing he still has a good reputation here in Scotland

I think that's why this feels different to the Dundee bollocks. I'd certainly take the money.

1 minute ago, parsboi said:

Oaft!  Come on, diddy team supporters should  know never to sit back and relax halfway through a season - never mind how  many points clear.  Only done when it's done.

Ross to Barnsley is  a huge hit for you.  Shame, he's done an amazing job and it would have been good to see how he did against the Premier teams.  Who the hell do you get in now though...?  Danny Lennon....?

Yeah, I properly brought that on myself. 

As I said on the last page, I'd have Hopkin. He might be a smelly Greenock b*****d, but so is Lewis Morgan and we all fucking love him.

Link originates in the scummy rag, therefore I'm not placing too much credence on it. I can see Barnsley looking for someone with more experience and more achievements under their belt - Jack, for all his qualities, has still not completed a single season in charge of a single club, and has won nothing of note as a manager.

If Jack is offered the job, I can't see him turning it down, due to the financial rewards, and also the increased opportunity to make it to the Premier League, which will be where he wants to end up.

Prepared for another nailbiting few days as rumour and speculation abound, until the truth comes out, however painful that may be...

6 minutes ago, Soctty said:

If Jack is offered the job, I can't see him turning it down, due to the financial rewards, and also the increased opportunity to make it to the Premier League, which will be where he wants to end up.

Yep. You could well imagine a club such as Swansea taking a punt on him sooner rather than later.

5 minutes ago, parsboi said:

As I've pointed out already, this league has been won, that's it, they are as well handing the silverware over to us now. You are also talking like this is a done deal, which it most certainly isn't.

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

..and also the increased opportunity to make it to the Premier League, which will be where he wants to end up.

Yeah, have you looked at Barnsley's position? They aren't going anywhere other than downward. The mischievous amongst us might suggest he's got more chance of taking St Mirren the English Premier than Barnsley!

10 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Now, in terms of going, I am far from certain that he'll either be in the final running for the job, nor that the move would be beneficial to him (and presumably Fowler too). Let's look at it, we're 14 points ahead, Ross has never won silverware as a manager, do you think he's going to walk away from that? When we are back up in the premier he'll have even more pull in terms of teams and then maybe I'd be worried. Then there is his recent acquisition of players and the chat used to get them. For him to turn around and move on would seem to go against his character.

Beneficial? Like 5 times the salary beneficial? Football management is a fickle business and if Ross stayed with Saints and had a disaster next season, he'd in all likelihood be booted by Saints and have to rebuild his reputation at a Championship or lower level club. You have to take the cash when it's there. I really resent the notion that taking a massive increase in salary, exposure and opportunity is somehow of 'poor character.' Any rational Saints fan couldn't possibly hold it against Ross and would be thankful for the position he's left them in. You could appoint Paisley Panda for the rest of the season and you'd still go up. 

Anyway, we all shat the bed when McNamara left us in our promotion winning season and it turned out the best thing that ever happened to us. Not saying Ross is a similar level to McNamara but he was getting similar levels of hype at the time and it all went pear shaped, another reason Ross has to take the opportunity if it comes up. 

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

As I've pointed out already, this league has been won, that's it, they are as well handing the silverware over to us now. You are also talking like this is a done deal, which it most certainly isn't.

Yeah, have you looked at Barnsley's position? They aren't going anywhere other than downward. The mischievous amongst us might suggest he's got more chance of taking St Mirren the English Premier than Barnsley!

He doesn't have to be with Barnsley to get to the Premier League... :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yep. You could well imagine a club such as Swansea taking a punt on him sooner rather than later.

I just think we are over egging this pudding. Yes he's shown an ability to mould and direct a team to success, but other than this league what else has he done? (cue Monty Python sketch).

If Ross gets into Premiership and starts taking points off the OF, only then will he be considered English Premiership level.

2 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Beneficial? Like 5 times the salary beneficial? Football management is a fickle business and if Ross stayed with Saints and had a disaster next season, he'd in all likelihood be booted by Saints and have to rebuild his reputation at a Championship or lower level club.

So much mince, so little words, I really should applaud this effort.

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

He doesn't have to be with Barnsley to get to the Premier League... :rolleyes:

So your gambit is he goes to Barnsley to get sacked again to be hired again to get a club to the English Premiership? Good work...

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

So much mince, so little words, I really should applaud this effort.

So your gambit is he goes to Barnsley to get sacked again to be hired again to get a club to the English Premiership? Good work...

My gambit? My point is that in getting to the English Championship he is closer to working in the Premier League than he would be in the Scottish Championship, or even Scottish Premiership.

Presumably you disagree - interested to see your thinking there...

Just now, Soctty said:

My gambit? My point is that in getting to the English Championship he is closer to working in the Premier League than he would be in the Scottish Championship, or even Scottish Premiership.

Presumably you disagree - interested to see your thinking there...

In the sense that Barnsley are one of the poorest bets to go to the English Premiership. My "thinking" would be based on solid logic, he's already on the up, he just needs to keep the ship steady for a month or so and he'll get the first silverware in his life (other than a 2nd div medal with Clyde decades back) and he'll be in a far better position come the summer. Not only that he won't be parachuting himself into a relegation dogfight that is considerably harder than the one he only just escaped from last season.

10 minutes ago, McG said:

There has been absolutely no contact from Barnsley according to my source, pure speculation.

Jack Ross will get linked with a lot of jobs between now and the end of the season, need to get used to it I'm afraid.

Exactly. Typical tabloid bullshit, with the odd push from a random bookies getting punts.

We should be happy in many ways, not least that the piss stained rags that consider themselves "journalism" in this country have found a slither of column space to cover something that isn't religiously motivated.

Edited by Buddist Monk

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

In the sense that Barnsley are one of the poorest bets to go to the English Premiership. My "thinking" would be based on solid logic, he's already on the up, he just needs to keep the ship steady for a month or so and he'll get the first silverware in his life (other than a 2nd div medal with Clyde decades back) and he'll be in a far better position come the summer. Not only that he won't be parachuting himself into a relegation dogfight that is considerably harder than the one he only just escaped from last season.

He'll be in a far stronger league than the one he hopes to lead his team into next season, with a far better chance of landing a Premier League job.

If he's offered the job, I'd be amazed if he turned it down, with the huge increase in salary that will come with the job. Football managers' fortunes can change very quickly, and I wouldn't blame him in the slightest for doing what's best for himself.

With all that being said, I can't see them actually offering him the job, given his inexperience.

6 minutes ago, McG said:

There has been absolutely no contact from Barnsley according to my source, pure speculation.

Jack Ross will get linked with a lot of jobs between now and the end of the season, need to get used to it I'm afraid.

You're surely not suggesting that scummy rag made something up completely??? 

I've heard he has been sounded out for a much bigger job in this country come the summer.