The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Soctty said:

Because Jack wanted permission this time?

Yeah, it was a rhetorical question, TBH. Even if they go down, he's not getting the blame, given the position they're in. It's a no-lose situation for him. I'm really fucked off about this. 

So, is it true that James Fowler is actually the tactical mastermind behind our success over the past 12 months?

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, it was a rhetorical question, TBH. Even if they go down, he's not getting the blame, given the position they're in. It's a no-lose situation for him. I'm really fucked off about this. 

So, is it true that James Fowler is actually the tactical mastermind behind our success over the past 12 months?

James will join him its clear to see and hear they fit like a glove. Goodwin will be in the dugout at Livingstone.  

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

James will join him its clear to see and hear they fit like a glove. Goodwin will be in the dugout at Livingstone.  

Is Goodwin actually doing that good a job at Alloa? I'm unsure.

Despite his Ton connections, I'd be having a quiet word to see if Livi's manager fancies a slightly different view of the game at the weekend. 

Seriously, Barnsley are going down the analytics / moneyball route. I'm sure they have brought in Billy Beane as a consultant or something. 

That sort of thing strikes me as appealing to Jack. 

He's been brilliant, and I've got a nasty feeling about this. Spectacularly poor timing for us though. 

13 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Seriously, Barnsley are going down the analytics / moneyball route. I'm sure they have brought in Billy Beane as a consultant or something. 

That sort of thing strikes me as appealing to Jack. 

He's been brilliant, and I've got a nasty feeling about this. Spectacularly poor timing for us though. 

They are not adrift in the league a couple of wins could put them mid table. Timing for us is not good our players love him which will affect them if he leaves. 

46 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Jack would be NUTS to turn down such a chance I'm sure he will be off the championship is even better than our top league its also a quicker step into the land of milk and honey premiership.  

I saw on Twitter that Stuart Gilmour thinks that they'll offer him 5 x his current salary if he moved.  I imagine a heavy bunce if they avoid the drop as well...  

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.  

41 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Goodwin has done absolutely nothing in management to deserve the st mirren job, he won't get it I'm afraid.

Just now, McG said:

Goodwin has done absolutely nothing in management to deserve the st mirren job, he won't get it I'm afraid.

Yeah. Love the guy to bits but he's got Alloa performing at precisely the level you would expect them to. 

Oh, and you coming on here and not telling us all this is complete bollocks has confirmed, for me, that we need to be worried.

4 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Glad to see St Mirren confirmed in 12th spot in the Premiership next season.

#TB4

I'll bite...

It doesn't take much to avoid relegation in the SPL - Danny Lennon and Gus McPherson both managed it a number of times, and have hardly set the managerial heather on fire since.

All you really need to do is not give the job to Tommy Fucking Craig.

100% of the managerial appointments that our current BoD has made have been an astounding success, so I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Money talks...he'll take it if offered. Even if he was a disaster in England he would still walk into a job here, as the English clubs have more money than sense and demand instant success.

Sometimes managers need time, but they don't get that in England.  Some good managers have been sacked as paying compensation is no problem.

Even if he was sacked at the end of this season he would still walk away with a handsome some of money knowing he still has a good reputation here in Scotland

Most saints fans would like to think that Ross will want to see this job through (ie at least get us up and possibly 1 season in top league), but in reality, if you’re getting a potential pay increase of 5x your current salary it’s going to be a hard one to turn down.

Nervous as f**k about this!

Agreed.

He is going to be linked with jobs that come up, this is a bit more concerning than when Dundee came sniffing but my gut feeling is he won't leave when he is a few more wins away from a title. He'll get more offers in the summer and we'll more likely than not lose him.

His cv will bump its self up in 2 months time all being well so no need for him to gamble with his career just yet.