The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's nice having a weekend off when you're so far clear in the league. A wee rest could prove to be very important for our squad ahead of the run in, which I think could be tighter than some are predicting.

giphy.gif

It's a good thing that this squad know what it's like to be rooted at the other end of the table, JR will have them fired up for every game of the run in with nobody taking their foot off the gas. This weekend of rest is just what the squad need.

It's fucking rubbish not to be on league business on a Saturday.  No St Mirren, no Scotland, and even the egg chasing isn't on till tomorrow...  FFS..!

Seriously:  It's glorious that there is so much fresh air between us and the chasing ( meandering:P ) pack, but the downside is that there may be a pause in our momentum.  Need a sound win next week to pick up where we left off.  Utd, after tomorrow's game against the Sheep, have Livingstone, QotS then us.  We have some winable games prior to our visit to Tannadice.  Need to take every single point until we hump the Arabs in their own back yard.  

It's good to be a Buddie..!

27 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Just watched top bin mcginns interview on buddy vision. I fuckin love that guy emoji177.png

Got to be honest, his passion is quite surprising. He's a professional who has played at a higher level and obviously has a strong connection to the club, and that club to him is in the wrong league, so there is no surprise that he genuinely wants us to make a real fist of not just promotion but beyond -  but even then his determination seems really strong and it's not just a personal determination but a team one.

39 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Just watched top bin mcginns interview on buddy vision. I fuckin love that guy emoji177.png

Imagine having a guy who saw his old club struggling, so went out of his way to re-join, with the publicly-stated target of keeping us up then getting us promoted.

Now imagine he's also our captain, and that he wasn't talking complete bollocks.

Stephen McGinn. What a fucking guy.

Spoiler  
St Mirren have given Barnsley permission to speak to Jack Ross about their manager vacancy , they're fighting relegation , would he take it is it's offered ?
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2222393/st-mirren-barnsley-permission-jack-ross/

He should at least listen to what they have to offer. Maybe time for him to think of himself.

If he gets a good pay package and saves them from the drop it could be a fast track to tbe big time.

Maybe they will loan him back for the rest of the season ;)

I’d be surprised if he left for Barnsley. Of course he would earn considerably more money, but I get the impression that he’s a shrewd enough guy to realise that the Championship is a brutal league where new managers are given very little time.

See Derek McInnes and Sunderland.

Edited by Hammer Jag

I’d be surprised if he left for Barnsley. Of course he would earn considerably more money, but I get the impression that he’s a shrewd enough guy to realise that the Championship is a brutal league where new managers are given very little time.
See Derek McInnes and Sunderland.

Agreed.

He is going to be linked with jobs that come up, this is a bit more concerning than when Dundee came sniffing but my gut feeling is he won't leave when he is a few more wins away from a title. He'll get more offers in the summer and we'll more likely than not lose him.

This is just going to be the norm until Jack eventually,  inevitably goes. I can't honestly see it being Barnsley though. The timing is at a point in the season where there's not much you can do to turn things around in terms of personnel, this would be far more likely if they made an approach in the summer. Like Jack told Lewis Morgan when we knocked back Burton, bigger offers will come with patience.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Oh, ffs. The difference in tone here is what worries me: we never gave Dundee permission to talk (AFAIK). Why would this change now? 

He is on a longer Contract now so we would receive greater compensation.