The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Hard working he certainly wont be I'm afraid. Has the odd match when he looks unstoppable but then disappears for weeks on end.  We're basically telling you exactly the same things Livie told us when we signed him. 

I was really impressed by him when he was with Livi as he was always great against us. Less so with the Bairns. But if anyone can get some consistency then Jack is the man. However he is here to make up the numbers and I doubt will be getting a starting place so that may go against him.

I think short term for this league campaign he is an excellent signing. I think Hippo will thrive with St Mirren playing with confidence and a lot of competition for places. I'm not sure he will cut it in the Premiership but he's certainly worth the gamble and will definitely do the business in the championship. I'm gutted he's left as he is a very exciting player to watch when he's on form.

5 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I was really impressed by him when he was with Livi as he was always great against us. Less so with the Bairns. But if anyone can get some consistency then Jack is the man. However he is here to make up the numbers and I doubt will be getting a starting place so that may go against him.

That could be a problem too. The one thing he needs to perform is a regular game. He's not the best impact player off the bench either. The one bonus for us is that he was always hopeless against his former team Livie because he tried too hard when they gave him stick. Hopefully be the same against us.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

When Hippo first joined us he looked brilliant, then the going got tough and he gave up. Even kicked a Dumbarton player out of the blue to get himself off the pitch. Apparently had attitude problems at his previous clubs but never knew it was like that :lol:

Falkirk fans rated him highly last season when they were doing well, but don't seem to now that they're struggling which makes me think the exact same has happened. Based on that he'll do well this season but if you lose a few games in the Premiership he'll stop caring.

Edit: Is this a case of Falkirk freeing him first or is it like the Mullen situation where St Mirren are paying a fee?

Edited by LiviLion

27 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

I think short term for this league campaign he is an excellent signing. I think Hippo will thrive with St Mirren playing with confidence and a lot of competition for places. I'm not sure he will cut it in the Premiership but he's certainly worth the gamble and will definitely do the business in the championship. I'm gutted he's left as he is a very exciting player to watch when he's on form.

How can you possibly say that he will definitely do the business in the Championship?

Ridiculously inconsistent, very occasionally great, usually an imposter.

Frees up a wage.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

15 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Even kicked a Dumbarton player out of the blue to get himself off the pitch.

A hilarious moment. I've never really rated the guy as he's been fairly anonymous any time we've played against him, seems a complete luxury player to me but that might suit St Mirren with the position they are in and the squad they have.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Jack Ross has a great track record for bringing in players either not rated or poorly rated at other Clubs and turning them into hard-working cogs of our juggernaut. Gav and Cammy being two examples.

Obviously I am a fan of Ross, but I think this is one over egged pudding. Reilly, sure you could have a shout there, although he was only really bad a Dunfermline, for Queens he seemed a decent player. Smith is a bit different, he was rated by quite a few but it never worked for him at Aberdeen. I'm more of the opinion the drop in the level and joining a team that plays to his strengths is the catalyst to his improvement.

Ross sounds a good man manager and it seems he is very capable of creating a team bond, so while I'm not challenging your assumption, more wishing to temper it.

17 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Can everyone remember the Bairns telling us how shite Higdon was and wee Stevie Thomson too. 

And a certain Mr Ross? Another one from Falkirk, when he was a player of course.

Edit: Forgot to mention Hippolyte. I am not sure to be honest. Decent(ish) talent for this level but to me there is a slight whiff of Harkins, albeit a younger version. Someone who can do the odd bit of brilliance but it's on his terms when he wants to, not necessarily when the team needs it.

Edited by Buddist Monk

29 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

How can you possibly say that he will definitely do the business in the Championship?

Ridiculously inconsistent, very occasionally great, usually an imposter.

Frees up a wage.

Frees up a wage for your battle to avoid 2nd bottom ?  Meanwhile , in a league position far away nearly 30 points higher .........................

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Edit: Forgot to mention Hippolyte. I am not sure to be honest. Decent(ish) talent for this level but to me there is a slight whiff of Harkins, albeit a younger version. Someone who can do the odd bit of brilliance but it's on his terms when he wants to, not necessarily when the team needs it.

Harkins is playing well for the soapless & hopeless at the moment. Good signing for them - and he was great for Dundee for quite a while there.

Like Dougie Imrie, I think he just wasn't used properly at Saints. or didn't fit, or whatever. He's still a fat c**t, though.

15 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Obviously I am a fan of Ross, but I think this is one over egged pudding. Reilly, sure you could have a shout there, although he was only really bad a Dunfermline, for Queens he seemed a decent player. Smith is a bit different, he was rated by quite a few but it never worked for him at Aberdeen. I'm more of the opinion the drop in the level and joining a team that plays to his strengths is the catalyst to his improvement.

Ross sounds a good man manager and it seems he is very capable of creating a team bond, so while I'm not challenging your assumption, more wishing to temper it.

And a certain Mr Ross? Another one from Falkirk, when he was a player of course.

In Cammy's case I am referring to his time at Dundee Utd where the fans did not rate him and Utd were happy to let him go.

Edited by NorthBank