The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

59 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The thing that's concerning me most of all at this point is that not winning the title at this stage would almost be a bottle crash of Morton-esque proportions.

You got the fishing rod out looking to attract Virgin ton......:P

27 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

No they didn’t.

I think Queens fans to a man all said Gav would score goals for us. His work rate and selfless running off the ball are a joy to watch. Knows exactly where the goal is but more importantly he's playing with freedom and enjoying his football.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

The thing that's concerning me most of all at this point is that not winning the title at this stage would almost be a bottle crash of Morton-esque proportions.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not quite the funniest thing ever. I know of at least one team that has thrown away a bigger lead in a league.

oh-you-didnt-go-there.jpg

We are top of the league on merit.  We have spent more wisely with our wage budget than the other trailing teams and I wouldn't be surprised if we are actually 3rd or 4th highest wage budget in the league, just down to how shrewd we have been with our signings.

A lot of opposition fans claimed we bought our way to survival last season. We actually shipped out players into double figure and replaced them with around the same amount. That is a massive risk trying to build a winning formula, especially half way through the season. JR and JF worked absolute wonders and  we have carried that momentum into this season. 

I don't think we have quite replaced Mallan yet, though Morgan has made up for his loss as the star man with his consistent displays of magic.

We are now at another January window and the club are doing there best to move on players surplus to requirements to free space for players with Premiership quality. I am excited to see if we bring someone in close to transfer deadline day. I am hearing from a few sources including on here that an attacking player with top level experience is a target.

2 hours ago, Soctty said:

I'm not ITK, but I do think we'll get someone in before the window closes, an attacking player with more stature than  our other attacking players, while at the same time having pace and mobility. You'd assume it would have to be quite imminent as well given the window closes on Wednesday...

How could you forget Stephen McGinn ? It a hard tackling ball holder midfielder we are needing I'm a huge Ross fan but it puzzles me he can't see it. Look at all our heavy defeats and when we get pinned back. 

38 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

How could you forget Stephen McGinn ? It a hard tackling ball holder midfielder we are needing I'm a huge Ross fan but it puzzles me he can't see it. Look at all our heavy defeats and when we get pinned back. 

Not sure what McGinn has to do with my post... :huh:

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

Not sure what McGinn has to do with my post... :huh:

Yea McGinn should not be mentiond I was only thinking attacking midfield player.

Personally it's a strong defending midfielder that's needed going forward is not a problem our goals for prove that but we have a habit of being pinned back  Josh in the middile might be the answer.  

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Yea McGinn should not be mentiond I was only thinking attacking midfield player.

Personally it's a strong defending midfielder that's needed going forward is not a problem our goals for prove that but we have a habit of being pinned back  Josh in the middile might be the answer.  

Mark Hill is the defensive midfielder, and will be used when required I'm sure. I agree we need a more experienced and accomplished player in that position if we go up, but he's what we have right now. 

A different option up front is what we will no doubt be going for now...

3 minutes ago, Div said:

I feel quite uncomfortable with all and sundry saying we’ve won the league already.

I reckon 72 points will be enough to win it.  Still a long way to go!

I've said as much on a few ocassions that after watching us for a long time we should be taking nothing for granted. Cautiously optimistic as nothing is won in January.