The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

46 minutes ago, k-ton said:

What was it about when I said "No one's asking for a trophy" that made you think that?  

You've shipped 4 or more goals on no less than 3 separate occasions this season.  Seems to me like this seasons you're a few teams bitches.

We're 11 clear - you're all our "bitches"...

Almost 1 m taken in transfer fees ,so no saints haven’t overspent 

I never said they have but looking at the other squads in the league (bar Dundee Utd) I'd say St Mirren have a fairly substantial bigger budget. I wouldn't call that over achieving. You could argue that Dundee Utd are under achieving.

Like I said St Mirren aren't spending cash they don't have and they are doing very well but they are spending more than the vast majority of their competitiors, potentially 100% dependent on Utd's budget.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm not saying St Mirren aren't doing very well but have you really over achieved?

I'd say that we are doing exceptionally well.  Thats the point.

One year ago: Nine or ten points adrift and almost certain for the drop.  Club in turmoil with a churn of managers, board desperately trying to sell to a "suitable"  consortium and 3 years in no significant interest.  Even after last years Great Escape and the great run we went on to assure safety, no one was mentioning us as championship winners for this year (Chickens and hatchlings not being counted just yet).  I can remember Jack Ross on Radio Scotland (off the ball, IIFC) saying he didn't have the squad to challenge for the title outright. 

Today we're 1/7 to win the league.  Compared to where we were at the start of the season, yea, I'd say that we have over achieved.  

I'd say that we are doing exceptionally well.  Thats the point.
One year ago: Nine or ten points adrift and almost certain for the drop.  Club in turmoil with a churn of managers, board desperately trying to sell to a "suitable"  consortium and 3 years in no significant interest.  Even after last years Great Escape and the great run we went on to assure safety, no one was mentioning us as championship winners for this year (Chickens and hatchlings not being counted just yet).  I can remember Jack Ross on Radio Scotland (off the ball, IIFC) saying he didn't have the squad to challenge for the title outright. 
Today we're 1/7 to win the league.  Compared to where we were at the start of the season, yea, I'd say that we have over achieved.  

Fair enough, I wouldn't call it that based on your squad and your budget but each to their own.

Again not trying to take away from what has been a very successful season thus far it's just not the word I'd use to describe it.

I never said they have but looking at the other squads in the league (bar Dundee Utd) I'd say St Mirren have a fairly substantial bigger budget. I wouldn't call that over achieving. You could argue that Dundee Utd are under achieving.

Like I said St Mirren aren't spending cash they don't have and they are doing very well but they are spending more than the vast majority of their competitiors, potentially 100% dependent on Utd's budget.

If we get promoted this season I'd say yes, the last two times we got relegated it took us eight and five seasons to get back up respectively, if we do it this season (and nothing's won yet) then that'll be three so better than I'd expected. 

OK we took the calculated risk of giving the McAllister money to JR last season but we still made a profit and I'd be surprised if we don't make one again this season.

In summary us overachieving - a wee bit this season (my pre-season prediction was between 3rd & 5th), Utd. underachieving I'd say so.

Any of the ITK guys got gossip on an arrival before the window shuts?

Edited by btb

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The thing that's concerning me most of all at this point is that not winning the title at this stage would almost be a bottle crash of Morton-esque proportions.

You don't win leagues in January. But surely you can't throw it away now? If you did, it would probably be the funniest thing ever...

13 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Fair enough, I wouldn't call it that based on your squad and your budget but each to their own.

Again not trying to take away from what has been a very successful season thus far it's just not the word I'd use to describe it.

It's difficult to know what our budget is and what Dundee United's / Falkirk / Pars / ICT are, however I'd imagine that Dundee United probably have the highest and we are much of a muchness with the other 3. Therefore to be where we are right now could be seen to be over-achieving.

16 minutes ago, btb said:

If we get promoted this season I'd say yes, the last two times we got relegated it took us eight and five seasons to get back up respectively, if we do it this season (and nothing's won yet) then that'll be three so better than I'd expected. 

OK we took the calculated risk of giving the McAllister money to JR last season but we still made a profit and I'd be surprised if we don't make one again this season.

In summary us overachieving - a wee bit this season (my pre-season prediction was between 3rd & 5th), Utd. underachieving I'd say so.

Any of the ITK guys got gossip on an arrival before the window shuts?

I'm not ITK, but I do think we'll get someone in before the window closes, an attacking player with more stature than  our other attacking players, while at the same time having pace and mobility. You'd assume it would have to be quite imminent as well given the window closes on Wednesday...

10 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

You don't win leagues in January. But surely you can't throw it away now? If you did, it would probably be the funniest thing ever...

It's still possible. We have a great margin, but leagues aren't won in January as you say. The Championship is so cut throat it wouldn't take a lot for that margin to be wiped out.  We are 8 clear if you assume United win their game in hand, and they then play us at Tannadice - win that it could be 5 points. All you need is another 2 defeats and with having to go to Livingston and Inverness it's possible. It of course relies on United going on a run and that doesn't look likely at present but we've hardly got the ribbons on the trophy as some pundits want to suggest. Lot of football still to be played.  

For me it is down to Jack Ross his assistant and a board willing to back him within our budget. Over achiveing I don' think so given from Februry we were the second or first form team so it was more than likely to carry on into this season. Dundee United is the surprise and need to get their act together soon the debt they have accumulated to buy their way out the championship could put them into real trouble. When the fans turn on you its a hard slog back they need to beat ICT to at least stay second. 

4 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

It's still possible. We have a great margin, but leagues aren't won in January as you say. The Championship is so cut throat it wouldn't take a lot for that margin to be wiped out.  We are 8 clear if you assume United win their game in hand, and they then play us at Tannadice - win that it could be 5 points. All you need is another 2 defeats and with having to go to Livingston and Inverness it's possible. It of course relies on United going on a run and that doesn't look likely at present but we've hardly got the ribbons on the trophy as some pundits want to suggest. Lot of football still to be played.  

True....

13 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

It's difficult to know what our budget is and what Dundee United's / Falkirk / Pars / ICT are, however I'd imagine that Dundee United probably have the highest and we are much of a muchness with the other 3. Therefore to be where we are right now could be seen to be over-achieving.

I'm just trying to think who the players are we've signed that nobody else could have afforded at the start of the season? Of our best players, McGinn, Baird and Morgan were already under contract, Davies was long term injured which is how we got him and everyone laughed when we signed Reilly and Samson. Maybe Cammy Smith? A lot of guys we signed in the summer came from part time as well.

26 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Not quite the funniest thing ever. I know of at least one team that has thrown away a bigger lead in a league.

Lose to Utd, who also win their game in hand, and all it takes is another defeat and a draw for them to match our points total.

It's far from over, although the pressure is very much on Utd, and based on their last few games, they don't appear to have the stomach for it. All it takes is us to drop points on Saturday and Utd to win in Inverness for the pendulum to begin to swing the other way a little again. Win on Saturday, and we've ticked off another game...

Edited by Soctty

Points gaps are odd things, and very subjective. if your team is 11 points adrift at the bottom you wouldn't expect that to be closed, if they are 11 points clear at the top then somehow that's seen as a risky situation that's likely to slip.

If it's not your team, and for example if the positions between us and United were switched I'd have called the league in their favour already. As it's my team, for some reason I am considerably more guarded.

Are we "over achieving"? No, I don't think we are. If anything it's a multitude of teams underachieving. Falkirk, United, Inverness should at least be on our coat tails.

54 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The thing that's concerning me most of all at this point is that not winning the title at this stage would almost be a bottle crash of Morton-esque proportions.

I don't want to worry you, but I hear that Alex Williams and Peter Weatherson have already stuck money on it.