The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I never in a million years thought we'd be in this position of strength but even from week one I saw enough to know were going to be there or thereabouts. I said from the start that the league title fight would be cutthroat with Utd, ourselves and Falkirk (lol) sweating it out and being on edge week in week out. 

Really? We were pants early on, especially the pre-season and BF cup, coupled with that hammering by the unwashed. That said, the period also coincided with a win over Falkirk and United.

Edited by Buddist Monk

44 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I never in a million years thought we'd be in this position of strength but even from week one I saw enough to know were going to be there or thereabouts. I said from the start that the league title fight would be cutthroat with Utd, ourselves and Falkirk (lol) sweating it out and being on edge week in week out. 

I thought we'd win the league, based on last season February onwards and the fact we've got Jack Ross in charge. The BetFred Cup was treated more as preseason than anything else by us, and it was clear to see in most of those games that we were more interested in gaining fitness than being overly competitive.

The one thing i did worry about was our being bullied as we're not a big side, physically, but we have more than showed we can look after ourselves when teams have tried to kick us off the park, Morgan especially. Able to give it back as well, which has been pleasing.

13 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I really miss all the photos of failed politicians and second rate TV chefs. 

Tuning into BBC tv at 4.30 for results and debate only to hear about the Scottish premiership and English football. The Sunday paper also pages of English football yet a lack of Scottish football coverage unless your an old firm fan. Scottish press is very poor for a country that has four leagues, teams fighting for titles , teams fighting the drop lots of stories can be covered but no let's  read and hear about English football and the old firm. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

24 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Tuning into BBC tv at 4.30 for results and debate only to hear about the Scottish premiership and English football. The Sunday paper also pages of English football yet a lack of Scottish football coverage unless your an old firm fan. Scottish press is very poor for a country that has four leagues, teams fighting for titles , teams fighting the drop lots of stories can be covered but no let's  read and hear about English football and the old firm. 

I don’t buy newspapers any more, and don’t even read their reports online. 

But my dad does, and we were looking forward to reading the report of Friday night’s big game. 

It wa 8 pages from the back, bottom third of the page, no photos - and top two thirds of the page was a report of the Yeovil v Man U cup game. 

And this was the Scottish edition. 

Thankfully we have things like P&B and even the various Facebook club and fan pages where we can have much more interesting discussions of the games. 

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

In England, where the coverage is much better, they still concentrate on the big clubs so the OF dominating the press isn't overly surprising. I don't think I've bought a paper ever to read about football, as I know it's either OF related or bullshit about my team because we are about to play one of the OF. Their pernicious sycophancy is painfully transparent.

My personal bugbear is that as being part of the UK we are somehow expected to put up with wall to wall English bullshit, whether it's their football, rugby or cricket. These things have absolutely no relevance to us as we are a separate country yet the BBC and others continue to pander to that English cock.

Edited by Buddist Monk

28 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I don’t buy newspapers any more, and don’t even read their reports online. 

But my dad does, and we were looking forward to reading the report of Friday night’s big game. 

It wa 8 pages from the back, bottom third of the page, no photos - and top two thirds of the page was a report of the Yeovil v Man U cup game. 

And this was the Scottish edition. 

Thankfully we have things like P&B and even the various Facebook club and fan pages where we can have much more interesting discussions of the games. 

I haven't purchased a newspaper or the Sun in years, wall to wall coverage of the old firm eventually wears you down. 

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

At the start of the season I was hoping we'd make the play offs.

As each week goes by that's looking increasingly unlikely....

This.

I think everyone, including Jack Ross, was looking towards the playoffs as a viable and achievable goal for this season.  

We have over-achieved.  Looks like Dundee have shat their blankets.  

Lets not get carried away lads,  11 points clear and goal difference significant enough to be counted as an extra point.  When do you think we'll have automatic promotion guaranteed?  :P

42 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

We have over-achieved.  Looks like Dundee have shat their blankets.  

Sometimes I think there is an element of the Emperor's New Clothes about our current league position. 

When we have played well we always seem to win.

When we have been average / mediocre we seem to manage to grind out a win. That's championship winning form !

Yet in quite a few matches where we have under-performed away from home we have been caned. Away to Partick Thistle, Dunfermline, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen we have been utterly pumped.

I'm just a bit concerned that we are so far ahead of the rest because they are all shitier than a four week old wean's nappy rather than us being masters of the universe.

Just an observation of course, not a criticism / complaint :thumsup2

Makes a very welcome change, It's a great time to be a buddie!
Only exception being 07/08 with the Gretna farce. It's a real regret that in our 9 year stint in the top league we never achieved top 6, or even made a real fist of making it. Let's hope that when we get back up, be it sooner or later, we can right that.

9 hours ago, VivaLaDron said:

Makes a very welcome change, It's a great time to be a buddie!
Only exception being 07/08 with the Gretna farce. It's a real regret that in our 9 year stint in the top league we never achieved top 6, or even made a real fist of making it. Let's hope that when we get back up, be it sooner or later, we can right that.

Yeah. Even the 8th-place year was a slight fluke based on a few decent results at the end of the season, IIRC. And that squad should have finished higher.

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Sometimes I think there is an element of the Emperor's New Clothes about our current league position. 

When we have played well we always seem to win.

When we have been average / mediocre we seem to manage to grind out a win. That's championship winning form !

Yet in quite a few matches where we have under-performed away from home we have been caned. Away to Partick Thistle, Dunfermline, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen we have been utterly pumped.

I'm just a bit concerned that we are so far ahead of the rest because they are all shitier than a four week old wean's nappy rather than us being masters of the universe.

Just an observation of course, not a criticism / complaint :thumsup2

Startling omission from that list.

12 minutes ago, k-ton said:

When you put it that way, I realise that we definitely didn't pump you that day.

It was a slightly unusual game, though. By no means a pumping but at half time it was 1-1 and most thought we were very lucky to be level. Straight after the restart we gave away another penalty and had Baird sent off, so game over and there is no way of knowing what might have been. For the first half, though, when it was 11 v 11, Morton were the better team by some distance.