The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

This isn't me slagging St Mirren in the slightest, but how many changes do you think you'll need/expect to make in the Summer if/when you're promoted? 

There seems a fair chunk of players that to an outsider can be considered "key", like Samson, McShane, Smith and Reilly who have been out of their depth in the top flight before. 

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This isn't me slagging St Mirren in the slightest, but how many changes do you think you'll need/expect to make in the Summer if/when you're promoted? 

There seems a fair chunk of players that to an outsider can be considered "key", like Samson, McShane, Smith and Reilly who have been out of their depth in the top flight before. 

Well, probably quite a lot of changes, but most teams seem to be having a fairly big playing staff turnover most summers now, and we've done a huge amount of work in the transfer market since Jack has been here (not all of it successfully, of course, but that's not criticism.)

Long way to go yet, though. No way are we home and dry just yet. 

I do, of course, believe that if the players you've outlined above happened to help us canter to the title here, then they should get their chance in the top flight, but no doubt we'd need to add quality. Saturday lunchtime will be a good indicator of the gap we would potentially need to make up. We'll see.

On 15/01/2018 at 18:06, Poet of the Macabre said:

Did the exciting signing that was promised ever come through? Haven't heard anything.

When's the interesting signing coming lads?

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Well, probably quite a lot of changes, but most teams seem to be having a fairly big playing staff turnover most summers now, and we've done a huge amount of work in the transfer market since Jack has been here (not all of it successfully, of course, but that's not criticism.)

Long way to go yet, though. No way are we home and dry just yet. 

I do, of course, believe that if the players you've outlined above happened to help us canter to the title here, then they should get their chance in the top flight, but no doubt we'd need to add quality. Saturday lunchtime will be a good indicator of the gap we would potentially need to make up. We'll see.

We'd need some additions, mainly down the spine, but Smith especially is one who I think can do very well in the Prem. Reilly also didn't get too much of a shot with Hearts - only time he started more than 2 games in a row he got 3 in 5 starts. Strikers thrive on confidence, and if he keeps scoring the way he is, and getting a regular start, we could see a different player if we and he get up a league again.

Some upgrades needed, and hopefully Jack will be ruthless when needed, but this team has shown tremendous spirit this season on top of everything else, and he'll want to have that same character in the team, whoever is there and wherever we end up.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your manager has proven quite conclusively you can take a team that on paper shouldn't compete in the top league, yet they do on the pitch.

Jordan Kirkpatrick away back to Alloa as well.

I will say this for Jack Ross: he has assembled a brilliant first XIV players, but beyond that, our squad depth has been fairly shite. I can see what he's thinking - probably wanted decent numbers in, in case of injuries, etc. Quality over quantity appears to be the way forward.

Edit: just behind @KierenAAFC there... I like Alloa, love Goodwin, so hopefully the two players we've sent help you get up this time round.

Edited by Coventry Saint

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I guess a lot of that comes down to the management of those players. Even if you look at Stephen Mallan, who is an undoubtedly talented player, he was totally lost the first half of last season but Jack stuck with him and seemed to gradually build his confidence level up to the point where he was unstoppable. You could argue he's done the same to Lewis Morgan and Jack Baird too.

Gavin Reilly came to Saints with his confidence in bits, he even struggled badly in this same division last season. Then he hit 20 goals for us before the end of the year.

Confidence in sport is massive, and Jack just seems to be able to build that up in individual players which is quite a skill to have.

22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Jordan Kirkpatrick away back to Alloa as well.

I will say this for Jack Ross: he has assembled a brilliant first XIV players, but beyond that, our squad depth has been fairly shite. I can see what he's thinking - probably wanted decent numbers in, in case of injuries, etc. Quality over quantity appears to be the way forward.

Yeah hardly a surprise never really kicked a ball for us,   Hard to disagree with squad depth we lacked impact from the bench so far thankfully not been needed so far!!

39 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Jack Ross clearly still looking for us, top man! Hopefully we both do the business come the end of the season.

It's been extremely difficult for Kirkpatrick to get a look in given the form of Cammy Smith, McGinn, McShane, Morgan and Reilly. He's not had much of a chance to prove he can do it at this level. He's probably only had one or two opportunities to show what he can do, but failed to impress if I'm honest. Good luck to the lad I hope he does the business for Alloa.

26 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Yeah hardly a surprise never really kicked a ball for us,   Hard to disagree with squad depth we lacked impact from the bench so far thankfully not been needed so far!!

We've shipped ten out (six on loan) and brought five back in (including Morgan in both of those numbers) but I think without doubt we will now have a much stronger bench than before.

Sutton and Mullen as attacking options, Flynn, Todd and Hill for the middle of the park, and Eckersley (or more likely Stelios when Eck is fit), Irvine and MacKenzie at the back.

Just one more attacking option needed and I think we'll be all set.

9 minutes ago, Div said:

We've shipped ten out (six on loan) and brought five back in (including Morgan in both of those numbers) but I think without doubt we will now have a much stronger bench than before.

Sutton and Mullen as attacking options, Flynn, Todd and Hill for the middle of the park, and Eckersley (or more likely Stelios when Eck is fit), Irvine and MacKenzie at the back.

Just one more attacking option needed and I think we'll be all set.

Definitely our bench will be looking alot stronger thought Todd was unlucky just coming onto a game then injured again. 

20 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Definitely our bench will be looking alot stronger thought Todd was unlucky just coming onto a game then injured again. 

Yes mate he will be a decent option to have. The squad is in very good shape, we're in with a great chance of winning this title.

1 minute ago, Demented Zebra said:

I think our game at Dunfermilne and United's game at Inverness could be the turning moment. 

Utd are home to Morton the weekend we are away to Dunfermline.

If we can come out of that weekend with our lead intact we'll be doing well.

February we have QoS, Brechin and Falkirk at home and Livingston away.
Utd have ICT & Livingston away and QoS at home

We then meet Utd at their place on 3rd March.

Exciting few weeks ahead!

4 minutes ago, Div said:

Utd are home to Morton the weekend we are away to Dunfermline.

If we can come out of that weekend with our lead intact we'll be doing well.

Eh? We are curently 8 clear and could be 11 clear before Utd play Morton.

Unless we get a points deduction we will end that weekend at least 5 points clear.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I suppose we'll need to wait and see, but Samson was great for us in the top flight, and we never replaced him after he left. Smith is only 22, so was a young player who couldn't break into a good Aberdeen side, he's dropped down a level to get games and has improved as a result. He's ready to step up a level even if we were to miss out on promotion. 

Reilly and McShane have both improved a lot since the start of the season as well. 

As for the McShane debate, he's been an excellent signing. I don't see how anyone could deny that. His set pieces aren't great, in fact they're rubbish. I reckon this makes a lot of people think he's had a bad game because they remember the few poor corners/free kicks that he's hit.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

Eh? We are curently 8 clear and could be 11 clear before Utd play Morton.

Unless we get a points deduction we will end that weekend at least 5 points clear.

With our current lead intact I meant.

17 hours ago, houston_bud said:

As for the McShane debate, he's been an excellent signing. I don't see how anyone could deny that. His set pieces aren't great, in fact they're rubbish. I reckon this makes a lot of people think he's had a bad game because they remember the few poor corners/free kicks that he's hit.

Absolutely this. I think the only thing we are really lacking in the squad is someone for set pieces. We have a great variety of training ground moves which have come off in occasion but our hit rate from free kicks in good positions is poor. Maybe one of our new signings can step up?

1 hour ago, CamaroSaint said:

Absolutely this. I think the only thing we are really lacking in the squad is someone for set pieces. We have a great variety of training ground moves which have come off in occasion but our hit rate from free kicks in good positions is poor. Maybe one of our new signings can step up?

Yeah, we've not really replaced that since Mallan left. Hopefully we've finally realised that McShane is crap at them.

On the flip side, we seem to be quite good at taking short free-kicks and corners now - witness Morgan's two goals against United and his second against Queens in Paisley when we tried our best to make a mess of a short corner and still scored because he's so amazing.