The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

20 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Willie Miller was at the game for Sportsound. 

Miller is shocking. He displays a terrible lack of knowledge about the championship. All the other reporters read out the teams suggesting the formations the teams would be playing in whereas Miller just read Saints and Dumbarton teams in numerical order. Mind you he's not much better when covering the premiership. He also got put in his place by Tom English when discussing Michael O'Neal for the Scotland job

Willie Miller is an appalling pundit, and is even worse on comms. My heart sinks when I hear he's featuring on BBC's coverage in some capacity. Stephen McGinn scores our second yesterday, Miller pipes up, "Goal for Falkirk!"

Followed by a blundering, sleep-inducing description of the goal.  "It was an eh...cross, the corner eh, came in to eh..." spit it out Willie for goodness sake. 

Edited by fraser_smfc

So.... signings...

Is it certain that Flynn is signing? After all the chat about Hill I would imagine the only reason he wouldn't come is if he wasn't up for it, as both clubs and Ross seem to be.

For the rest of the window? A striker and defender, maybe both on loan as they would effectively be cover.

On 8 January 2018 at 16:24, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I was a bit underwhelmed with McGinn and thought he went off the boil after a good start to his second spell, but he's been absolutely superb the last few months. He was our best player by miles against Morton and Inverness. Just needs a goal this season!

Some man.

17 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:
  On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 16:24, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I was a bit underwhelmed with McGinn and thought he went off the boil after a good start to his second spell, but he's been absolutely superb the last few months. He was our best player by miles against Morton and Inverness. Just needs a goal this season!

Some man.

Possibly fitness was an issue Octoberish - I remember one pre-match report on the OS before Magennis was fully back stating that SM was doubtful as he hadn't trained during the week. My guess is his recent improved performances are due to regaining full fitness. Like you said - some man! :wub:

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

So.... signings...

Is it certain that Flynn is signing? After all the chat about Hill I would imagine the only reason he wouldn't come is if he wasn't up for it, as both clubs and Ross seem to be.

For the rest of the window? A striker and defender, maybe both on loan as they would effectively be cover.

Really? We have Eckersley, MacKenzie and Irvine all available but the current 4 do not look like losing their place anytime soon. We do not need another defender. And if we suddenly had a huge injury list we can do what we did before - get an 'emergency' loan in.

7 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Really? We have Eckersley, MacKenzie and Irvine all available but the current 4 do not look like losing their place anytime soon. We do not need another defender. And if we suddenly had a huge injury list we can do what we did before - get an 'emergency' loan in.

With Buchanan gone we have 3 CBs MacKenzie, Davis and Baird - with both MacKenzie and Davis being out for long spells to injury. Eckerlsey is currently injured and Irvine is just back from injury.

Thought McGinn looked like he was carrying a knock yesterday, but he was excellent all afternoon and his goal was superb.

Flynn coming in gives us a genuine attacking option on the right, with Magennis moving in to partner McGinn and McShane probably riding pine.

Hill will provide more cover in that central midfield area.

Two good signings. If we are bringing one more in it would surely be a striker.

3 minutes ago, Div said:

Thought McGinn looked like he was carrying a knock yesterday, but he was excellent all afternoon and his goal was superb.

Flynn coming in gives us a genuine attacking option on the right, with Magennis moving in to partner McGinn and McShane probably riding pine.

McGinn was struggling in 2nd half before he scored. Looked like he was holding, then stretching his groin so hopefully just a niggle and nothing that will keep him out.

46 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

With Buchanan gone we have 3 CBs MacKenzie, Davis and Baird - with both MacKenzie and Davis being out for long spells to injury. Eckerlsey is currently injured and Irvine is just back from injury.

Actually I thought the strength our bench yesterday was impressive with Irvine. MacKenzie, Sutton & Mullen all proven at this level I'm unsure about Eckersley but I thought he and Josh Todd were back in training. Throw in the new arrivals and competition for places is going to be fierce,  Looking around at the other teams benches yesterday I reckon ours is comparatively strong - I realize we're coming into that part of the season where suspensions are a factor and injuries can strike at any time but I don't think we've anything to panic about.

Re the CH position ideally I'd prefer another option too but I think of the three only Mackenzie is what I'd consider injury prone - Davis wasn't rushed back and other than being rested for the artificial surface at Palmerston seems to be fully recovered. I don't think JR would have let Buchannan leave if there was any doubt about Davis's fitness.

Edited by btb

5 hours ago, Div said:

I don't really get why so many people think McShane should, or will, be dropped for a guy who we haven't actually seen play yet. McShane has been really good this season. He's got more assists than anyone else in the team and is a real creative force in our midfield. He's also one of Ross' guys and hasn't let him down. Flynn, or Magennis for that matter, are going to have to earn McShane's spot, because right now he's deservedly ahead of both as a central midfielder.

I don't really get why so many people think McShane should, or will, be dropped for a guy who we haven't actually seen play yet. McShane has been really good this season. He's got more assists than anyone else in the team and is a real creative force in our midfield. He's also one of Ross' guys and hasn't let him down. Flynn, or Magennis for that matter, are going to have to earn McShane's spot, because right now he's deservedly ahead of both as a central midfielder.

I’d agree McShane has done very little wrong but for me anyway Magennis is wasted on the right and when he plays in the middle he’s simply better than Lovejoy is.

Don’t think Flynn will sit on the bench for long.

Anyway, more competition, more cover, that’s what we all want!!

11 hours ago, GAD said:

Spot on.

In unsurprising news, several tweets are suggesting that Hill and Flynn have been confirmed now, though nothing official as yet.

I'm pleased with the Flynn signing; he's played at a decent level and we do need cover out wide.

I have a sneaking suspicion this might represent all of our business for the window. 

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

In unsurprising news, several tweets are suggesting that Hill and Flynn have been confirmed now, though nothing official as yet.

I'm pleased with the Flynn signing; he's played at a decent level and we do need cover out wide.

I have a sneaking suspicion this might represent all of our business for the window. 

Nope. Still 1 more at least.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Interesting. Wouldn't actually bother me if nobody else came in now, but the more the merrier!

Wouldn't be surprised to see a big striker come in with a bit of height.