The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

50 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

I don't think I've been overly negative and my assessment is only  based on his performances in the navy blue. I also mentioned in my first post that I think he will do far better in a team at the other end of the table.

He's only played at Sheffield United and Oldham since leaving Falkirk; one set of supporters have the same view as myself and Sheffield United were stuck in League 1 then binned a lot of players, including Flynn, and went on to win the league. 

He's a top guy off the park and I really hope he does well for you as he certainly has the natural ability. I'd much prefer St. Mirren to win the league this season.

Fair enough.

One of the binned players was Stephen McGinn, and he has been nothing short of magnificent for us.

So, here's hoping.

Edited by FTOF

I feel your memory is being very selective here. 
http://www.owtb.co.uk/topic/50308-flynn-gone/?page=2  
^ That's exactly how I remembered him. When he dropped down into the old 1st division with us he never showed anything to me that he was too good for that division. Whenever there was pressure on him he couldn't perform and he had the battle and heart of a field mouse. Don't get me wrong; when you are playing the diddies of the league, like Falkirk and Brechin, I'm sure he will look the business. In his 5 league goals that season, only 1 came against a team not in the bottom 3.

My memory is fine. I could also see what Fulton brought to the team also. You know the lad that half he support berated regularly yet has played a number of games in the EPL.

53 minutes ago, Trump said:

Just realised he’s been linked with your lot. Would be a great signing for anyone in this league.

I agree that Flynn would do really well for St Mirren. I liked him a lot in his spells with us. And will never forget him scoring our first ever goal in Europe.

Only question would be why is he returning to play at this level ? Is there an injury or something as I still think he could play at a better level.

10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I agree that Flynn would do really well for St Mirren. I liked him a lot in his spells with us. And will never forget him scoring our first ever goal in Europe.

Only question would be why is he returning to play at this level ? Is there an injury or something as I still think he could play at a better level.

No injury record to speak of.

14 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Both Jack Ross and our chairman in interviews said our next two signing are with one eye on the premiership so would imagine that idea was sold to him , its also likely he is mate's with McGinn. I'm now wondering who the second player signing on Monday is as both players were mentioned in above interviews no names though. It' not Hill from Celtic he will be on loan. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

A good signing then. He'll be on a good salary. Possibly a lot of it bonus related ?

Could well be similar to McGinn who could walk away for nothing if we went down last season, that Flynn can go up a level if there's interest at the end of the season and we stay down?

Suppose we'll wait and see.

I still think the second player on Monday will be Hill from Celtic on loan and a third player, a forward will be in before the end of the window.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Could well be similar to McGinn who could walk away for nothing if we went down last season, that Flynn can go up a level if there's interest at the end of the season and we stay down?

I still think the second player on Monday will be Hill from Celtic on loan and a third player, a forward will be in before the end of the window.

Yes what you are saying makes sense mate.

Is it 100% that he is signing ?

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yes what you are saying makes sense mate.

Is it 100% that he is signing ?

Nothings 100% until they're standing with a shirt at the ground as we've seen previously. ;)

But it's looking like it's a done deal on Monday at this point.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Have you watched the interviews ? Second player is one Jack wants for the premiership . Div also saying 2 players plus Hill on loan in Twitter. 

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Have you watched the interviews ? Second player is one Jack wants for the premiership . Div also saying 2 players plus Hill on loan in Twitter. 

I have. Jack has said that there's 2 signings he wants with one eye on next season, potentially with the ability to make the step up should we need to. Presumably Flynn is the first of these.

He also mentions that there's 2 midfielders expected in on Monday. Hill is a midfielder. In my opinion, there's absolutely no chance that he's bringing in 2 midfielders plus another in the form of Hill when he's lost 3 forwards and a centre half (incidentally that he didn't actually want to leave...it looks like Buchanan has requested a release due to lack of game time rather than the club telling him to leave)

I'm not saying there's not another player that Jack wants to bring in with an eye on next season in this window. I fully expect that to be the case. All I'm saying is that I don't expect both of these players to arrive on Monday. If he's signing 2 midfield players on Monday, then it's highly probable that Mark Hill is one of them given he's a midfielder and it's no secret that he's coming on loan.

The other permanent signing will follow in due course, I'd imagine.

35 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

My mate works beside one of his  Flynn's relatives and he told him that it was in Flynn's thoughts to come back to Scotland once his contract expired at Oldham, he wanted kids settled in school here and be closer to family.

He seems to be in and out the Oldham team this season, so may answer why its processed 6 month earlier. A cracking wee player on his day, will probably be mixed opinions within Falkirk fans and probably other previous clubs as is with many wide players. He seems to have a good engine in him, looks like he is knackered but manages to pull out a lung busting run, he has done a turn down south setting up and scoring a lot of high profile goals with Sheffield Utd. As for Falkirk its either his miss at Killie in the last game of the season, first goal in Europe or the display in the 5-1 win over QOS is what he will be remembered for

Guest Back Post Misses
Not sure if Flynn is going to sign or not, or (if he does) whether he'll be any good, but those highlights are absolutely rank. No idea where Falkirk and QoS were in 2010 (presumably in the 1st) but I've seen better play from the Sunday leagues.

He is better as a N.10 than wide IMO

2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Both Jack Ross and our chairman in interviews said our next two signing are with one eye on the premiership so would imagine that idea was sold to him , its also likely he is mate's with McGinn. I'm now wondering who the second player signing on Monday is as both players were mentioned in above interviews no names though. It' not Hill from Celtic he will be on loan. 

Only 2 on Monday and Hill is 1 of them.