The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

I dont get one of our highest salary players sitting on the bench we obviously want to move him on and he refused the offer not a lot we can do about that the ball is in his court. 

Thing is, the guy has has a couple of kids,  I imagine he'll have a mortgage as well. If he moves on from us he'll definitely need to take a pay cut. Financially that might be difficult for him.

Now I'm not saying that's his reason, but at 34 it would seem his career is only going in one direction. He could take a wage cut now, or a wage cut in six months. No brainer really. 

At the very least you'll be getting as player that has been training regularly with a full time team, so I suppose his fitness should be there. As with most, I think I've seen a few minutes of him on the park. I do remember him from his Falkirk days, but that was some time ago.

11 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Buchanan coming to us as far as I’ve been told, training at the club now. 

That's a very decent signing you've got, he started off a bit shaky and then settled down into a bit of form before losing his place to Harry Davis when he regained his fitness.

He was going to be 3rd or fourth choice so it makes sense for him to move on. 

Not surprising considering the amount of game time he was looking it. Sure, he could have waited for an injury (and with MacKenzie and Davis both have suffered that), but I'm guessing Ross will be looking maybe brining in a loan player for that role. The boy McCart we had on loan from Celtic wasn't bad. Not first choice but certainly decent enough cover (imo) and you would imagine that sort of deal would cost less than Buchanan. If there's an option to sell, and the player is keen, then I'd say we might as well go for it.

Edit: Would this have any connection to the Mullen transfer? Has payment for him already been made or do we think Buchanan feeds into that?

Edited by Buddist Monk

19 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Either that or a couple of biggies... :ph34r:

It's interesting - I'm genuinely not sure where a couple of 'biggies' would fit in the team. Obviously you always find room for a great player, and you never know what injuries we might pick up. Plus, if we got pipped to first place you'd need strength in depth for the playoffs - our squad is definitely paper thin in terms of true first-team talent now.

My only doubt is that maybe we've heard Gav Reilly is talking to people on PCAs so we're looking at longer-term strikers, or we've able to bring in a decent wide player who can share duties with Morgan for now and then replace him next season.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

My only doubt is that maybe we've heard Gav Reilly is talking to people on PCAs so we're looking at longer-term strikers, or we've able to bring in a decent wide player who can share duties with Morgan for now and then replace him next season.

You've got to imagine people will be looking at him he's rattled 20 goals so far this season so that's always going to put you on other teams radars.  On the other hand he might sitting tight to see where we are at the end of the season before committing his future