The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Heard Duffy and Okeefe will be gone. The latter on loan. 

Defender can only realistically be Irvine. 

Think it more likely to be Buchanan. We only have one right back so Irvine is cover and we have Gary Mac for cover for central defence and two left backs. And I reckon more clubs would be interested in signing Buchanan than Irvine so probably not a loan but off the books.

Buchanan isn't even making the bench now. Writing was on the wall for him when Davis missed the game at Palmerston and MacKenzie got the nod, even though he'd only played 60 minutes for the under-20s since August and Ross admitted he was still a couple of weeks away from being ready.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Outside chance Buchanan could be off? Might be risky given our problems earlier in the season, but he's 4th choice.

I reckon Sutton would have been punted as well if he wasn't digging his heels in and seeing out his contract, of which he is quite entitled to do. Can't help thinking that he would be better off at his age going out on loan for the last 6 months and getting some game time.

He is decent back up for the strikers but can't see him featuring much if at all as we head towards the business end of the season.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

I reckon Sutton would have been punted as well if he wasn't digging his heels in and seeing out his contract, of which he is quite entitled to do. Can't help thinking that he would be better off at his age going out on loan for the last 6 months and getting some game time.

He is decent back up for the strikers but can't see him featuring much if at all as we head towards the business end of the season.

If I was him, I'd be looking elsewhere, and Jack clearly doesn't fancy him. He's kinda playing the Jim Hamilton/Sam Parkin role at the moment. Parkin got a League Cup winner's medal, lest we forget.

Would not be surprised to see Buchanan go.

He seemed decent enough when he was with Dumbarton, then was terrible for us for the first 5 or 6 games, then improved for the next 5 or 6, then got worse again and was replaced by Davis. I thought that he might be given a run in defensive midfield - it's a position we could do with cover while Buchanan seems capable of the role - but Ross has decided against that.

So, in summary, he's been pretty pants overall, he's not flexible enough to play in other areas, and I think we all agree that in terms of quality he's probably not Premiership level so if we get promoted he'll need replacing anyway.

Now this might sound harsh on the lad, as there is definitely a decent enough player there, just not the level or flexibility we need (for now at least).

Can't see Irvine going, he's been a good servant and can't see him wanting to go if this is a championship winning season - even if it meant him sitting on the bench for most of it.

Not surprised if Duffy goes, especially as Reilly is scoring for fun and we now have Mullen. Sutton is the other striker I'd like to see go, which is a shame as he's done put in a great shift for saints over the years, but his recent cameo appearances just showed he isn't able to fulfil the role required.

If I was him, I'd be looking elsewhere, and Jack clearly doesn't fancy him. He's kinda playing the Jim Hamilton/Sam Parkin role at the moment. Parkin got a League Cup winner's medal, lest we forget.
And deservedly so, scored v Aberdeen and played a few minutes in the final.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:
2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

And deservedly so, scored v Aberdeen and played a few minutes in the final.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Playing a bit-part, but also making a contribution.

I would think if Buchanan is leaving it would be because he wants to, because he's played a lot of games this season, and McKenzie and Davis have both had their injury problems. I think Buchanan is a perfectly adequate backup and he'll be used again before the season is up, but I guess it's up to him whether he's ready to play second fiddle or not. I'd expect someone like Dumbarton would be only too happy to take him back.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

I would think if Buchanan is leaving it would be because he wants to, because he's played a lot of games this season, and McKenzie and Davis have both had their injury problems. I think Buchanan is a perfectly adequate backup and he'll be used again before the season is up, but I guess it's up to him whether he's ready to play second fiddle or not. I'd expect someone like Dumbarton would be only too happy to take him back.

Can't see us taking him, we have f**k all budget left and urgently require a striker. If you could ensure he goes to League 1 and not to another relegation rival that would be greatly appreciated.

20 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Can't see us taking him, we have f**k all budget left and urgently require a striker. If you could ensure he goes to League 1 and not to another relegation rival that would be greatly appreciated.

Did he have a day job while he was with you guys? I'd imagine it'd be quite a big decision to go p/t again after being f/t for six months - unless he was able to get his job back easily.

I realise you've said you won't take him, so it could be a moot point. I wonder if Raith or Ayr would look at him in a bid to seal the title and not get dragged into the playoffs. Ayr's defence is pretty poor. No team in our league, aside from the bottom two, has an especially bad defence, tbh.

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I thought I read somewhere that you were really struggling in defence as well? I was probably being a bit lazy suggesting Dumbarton because he came from there and was well thought of. I think if he went down to League 1 it would have to be Raith or Ayr. I think he's a decent player at this level to be honest. Definitely Championship standard.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Did he have a day job while he was with you guys? I'd imagine it'd be quite a big decision to go p/t again after being f/t for six months - unless he was able to get his job back easily.

I realise you've said you won't take him, so it could be a moot point. I wonder if Raith or Ayr would look at him in a bid to seal the title and not get dragged into the playoffs. Ayr's defence is pretty poor. No team in our league, aside from the bottom two, has an especially bad defence, tbh.

I'm actually not sure what Gregor done with his time. We picked him up from a full-time deal (with the Pars) and he was driving a rather impressive car IIRC, he may well have been very good with his money and didn't require another job but I genuinely don't know. In any case, we probably paying him upwards of £350 a week, so he could probably live off that if he really wanted to.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

I thought I read somewhere that you were really struggling in defence as well? I was probably being a bit lazy suggesting Dumbarton because he came from there and was well thought of. I think if he went down to League 1 it would have to be Raith or Ayr. I think he's a decent player at this level to be honest. Definitely Championship standard.

Our left back, Chris McLaughlin, got quite badly injured which meant we had to bring in Liam Dick from Stranraer but aside from that we don't have anyone else confirmed out. Dowie went off during last weeks game but it's expected he'll be okay. Craig Barr has constant injury worries over his head but still seems to play every week. I just think with the small amount of money we have left to play with we'd be mad to get a defender in. Bucky is definitely good enough for this level, yes.

Haven't heard anything about Buchanan leaving but Darryl Duffy to Airdrie and Connor O'Keefe to Annan look certs to be done in the next 24 hours.

Not sure if Duffy is loan or permanent but hardly matters as out of contract in the summer and no chance that will be renewed.

Assume O'Keefe is a loan deal, also out of contract in the summer but he seems to be well liked so chance he could earn a new deal.

I'd move Buchanan on to be honest. He's not terrible but he's not as good as the three other centre halves we have. Sutton should probably go as well, although I'm a big Sutton fan and think he still has something to offer.

I'd be amazed if Duffy isn't moved on too. Who knows if the guy has anything to offer or not.

11 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'd move Buchanan on to be honest. He's not terrible but he's not as good as the three other centre halves we have. Sutton should probably go as well, although I'm a big Sutton fan and think he still has something to offer.

I'd be amazed if Duffy isn't moved on too. Who knows if the guy has anything to offer or not.

I dont get one of our highest salary players sitting on the bench we obviously want to move him on and he refused the offer not a lot we can do about that the ball is in his court. 

1 hour ago, GAD said:

After TicketGate if Saints let him go to Dumbarton (cursed be thy name) I’ll never set foot in the Paisley 2021 Stadium again.