The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 hours ago, printer said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Why is saying he's too good a prospect funny? No one is saying he's currently too good for Celtic just that his ability could end up better than Celtic. Not very far stretched IMO. Celtic look good in Scotland because of how poor everyone else is but they're a bang average squad at best. 

3 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

Why is saying he's too good a prospect funny? No one is saying he's currently too good for Celtic just that his ability could end up better than Celtic. Not very far stretched IMO. Celtic look good in Scotland because of how poor everyone else is but they're a bang average squad at best. 

Seriously?  I'm no Celtic fan but they have some great players  up against some of the richer clubs in Europe is no marker a bit like us playing Celtic. Read the Aberdeen thread on the Scottish Cup game with us most saying what a boring game , a walk in the park they are well above themselves I hope we put on a good show up there. 

1 hour ago, mylothedog said:

IF we do get a million selling on fee for Mcginn, does anyone know how much Gilmour will pocket?? Don't think we will get all of it to re-invest

The old board don't get an extra penny from transfer fees I believe, it just speeds up the payments to them a bit. The club doesn't lose out at all.

I think that only lasts until the end of this season and after that they're paid off.

Exactly. Any big transfer fee means the payments to the old board are just expedited. The club then get any money from SMISA that was going to the club sale payments.

Still frustrates me that folk don't understand this. It's been done to death.

I feel a bit bad for Hilson as I don't think he ever looked out of place the times he did play, he just obviously never overcame the injury problems. He was worth the gamble, and he did contribute as his goal against Brechin was an important one. I hope he does well wherever he ends up.

So... talking of the Morgan/Celtic thing, and assuming it's going to go through with him loaned back until the end of the season, I'd love if he got the chance to train at Celtic during his time with us. I don't want to affect the togetherness of the team, but you'd imagine the sports scientists and physiotherapy lads at Celtic will be some of the best available to them. The one small negative I'd give about Morgan is his physical size. He's not really ready physically for the Celtic first team, although I feel technically he's more than capable of being a sub.

It would be excellent to get him loaned back but also have all the Celtic money thrown at him to improve and bring him up to their standards.

No idea if this is how it works, or if when he's loaned back he has no connection with Celtic until he rejoins them.

2 hours ago, Gbud84 said:

Pretty sure it was mentioned the other night that as part of the Lewis Morgan deal to celtic that we'd be getting another loan signing from them ( not Liam henderson). 

No one have any idea as to who it might be?

Tony Ralston , particularly if Hearts demand Smith back ?