The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Would the development fee you would have been due not be a five figure sum also? Just going with the amount of games he has played and interest in the player. If he was a key player towards your chances in the playoffs it seems a bit mad to let him go to a rival. 

Just now, wee_bairn said:

Would the development fee you would have been due not be a five figure sum also? Just going with the amount of games he has played and interest in the player. If he was a key player towards your chances in the playoffs it seems a bit mad to let him go to a rival. 

23 in the summer so apparently no fee would have been needed

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Is the suggestion that Celtic are actually paying us money + loaning him back?

I'm happy to take the board (and payer and manager) at their word that he will be with us until the end of the season, even if his paperwork changes hands in January.

I mean the fact that we will have a bit of money to spend rather than we need to replace Morgan. Jack Ross and Gordon Scott seem confident we'll have him until the summer.

29 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

He could have signed a pre-contract in January and left for nothing in the summer I suppose.

I wonder if he's seen as a back up to Reilly or a starter.

Probably competition for all 3 front positions as can play wide.

26 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

The bizarre part is on both us and Livi for jumping now rather than hanging on for the transfer window. Ripping the pish right out of the "emergency" loan system.

Not really, think about it, if the player knows he’s signing for anothe club, a club that are currently in direct competition with his current club would his heart truly be in it ? St Mirren wanted him, he wanted to go, why wait ? 

Im sure we wanted to free up a wage in order to help fund his replacements wages too. 

6 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Fingers crossed this means Darryl Duffy is on the way out. Most pointless signing in St Mirren history.

I think we can easily cover the fee for Mullen by shedding the wages of a few players who have contributed nothing (or very little) to the first team. Duffy is one.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Is the suggestion that Celtic are actually paying us money + loaning him back?

I'm happy to take the board (and payer and manager) at their word that he will be with us until the end of the season, even if his paperwork changes hands in January.

It's trust and faith like that, that makes it even more painful when the inevitable happens, and the player, manager, and chairman betray it all by fucking the club over just before the window shuts, (leaving you no time to replace him except with total shite), and Celtic (and much of the rest of Scottish football) have a great laugh at your nativity, and your club's resultant irreversible, inevitable tailspin into the lower leagues.*

Not that I'm still bitter btw..... :unsure:

*Sure this won't happen with Morgan tho.....

13 minutes ago, MacArab said:

It's trust and faith like that, that makes it even more painful when the inevitable happens, and the player, manager, and chairman betray it all by fucking the club over just before the window shuts, (leaving you no time to replace him except with total shite), and Celtic (and much of the rest of Scottish football) have a great laugh at your nativity, and your club's resultant irreversible, inevitable tailspin into the lower leagues.*

Not that I'm still bitter btw..... :unsure:

*Sure this won't happen with Morgan tho.....

Our nativity is a splendid thing, one of the best you'll ever see.........

2 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

We'd happily take any of those three. Sutton being the preference albeit I accept financially it's unlikely to be possible.

Hilson is far too injury prone to be considered viable to hang about. Duffy was a waste of a wage and Sutton simply doesn't seem to fit the high energy approach we like. 

Very good signing, liked the look of Mullen in the Livi team. Pretty sure he’s the one that gave Buchanan a torrid time in the league cup which had us all doubting whether Buchanan was up to it.

Think it’s a needed signing when Smith was out injured a couple weeks back we lost a lot of our attacking threat. Playing Stelios there, or anywhere, is a desperate measure.

Mullen will be a far better option than the likes of Kirkpatrick. I would like to see Ross Stewart and Sutton stick about as well but it’s pretty evident one of them will go.

We'd happily take any of those three. Sutton being the preference albeit I accept financially it's unlikely to be possible.

I think Hilson is a good player but I'm not sure we should risk signing him, he's an absolute crock.

Duffy I have no idea about but I can't imagine he'd make much of an impact.

Sutton however would be a fantastic signing. A guy I've always rated.