The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

Out of interest and seeing as this thread has been bumped, allow me to ask a stupid question.

I believe we were due a sell on percentage with McLean, if he moves to Rangers under a PCA does that kill any money off?

It does, yeah. 

As the end of the year approaches, we must not forget it'll soon be the first anniversary of Morton fans gleefully regaling us with a chant of "The skunks are going down" after a last minute goal in Paisley. Anyone know how that panned out?

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

As the end of the year approaches, we must not forget it'll soon be the first anniversary of Morton fans gleefully regaling us with a chant of "The skunks are going down" after a last minute goal in Paisley. Anyone know how that panned out?

I had a look at their .org cesspit as I was bored earlier. Virgin is seriously talking about requiring a season in the "top flight" to pay off their £2M debt:lol: I've been down there to bale them out before and throw money in their buckets like many of us but i'd now happily dance on their grave when they get flushed down the toilet.

18 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

I had a look at their .org cesspit as I was bored earlier. Virgin is seriously talking about requiring a season in the "top flight" to pay off their £2M debt:lol: I've been down there to bale them out before and throw money in their buckets like many of us but i'd now happily dance on their grave when they get flushed down the toilet.

That can't be right. @virginton says they're on an upward trajectory. He said it only earlier on this year. He was really very patronising about it (I know, right? I was surprised as well.) 

Surely he wasn't talking utter bollocks.

21 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Seriously are they 2 million in debt how did that mount up ?

We’re in debt to our owner who would never cause the club to fold claiming it back given he saved us from liquidation in the first place. I’m sure he wrote some of that off this summer. Most of the ‘debt’ is his mismanagement of the club anyway and he’ll never get it back. That’s apparently holding up anyone wanting to buy the club. 

12 minutes ago, Scosha said:

We’re in debt to our owner who would never cause the club to fold claiming it back given he saved us from liquidation in the first place. I’m sure he wrote some of that off this summer. Most of the ‘debt’ is his mismanagement of the club anyway and he’ll never get it back. That’s apparently holding up anyone wanting to buy the club. 

Sounds near identical to where we were before the fans' (planned) buyout: BoD overvaluing the club based on what they've put in, rather than what it's actually worth. 

19 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Is that the same owner that many "Morton supporters?" want to get rid of? The same owner that had he not stepped in there'd be no such team as Greenock Morton?

18 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Sounds near identical to where we were before the fans' (planned) buyout: BoD overvaluing the club based on what they've put in, rather than what it's actually worth. 

Well it worked for our BoD -  they got £1M, about £8 a share which was pretty much what they put in according to 10000hours frontman Richard Atkinson.

It may end up being more if SMiSA  buy GLS's shares which AFAIK is part of the agreement. 

1 hour ago, btb said:

Well it worked for our BoD -  they got £1M, about £8 a share which was pretty much what they put in according to 10000hours frontman Richard Atkinson.

It may end up being more if SMiSA  buy GLS's shares which AFAIK is part of the agreement. 

Aye, fair enough, but they clearly weren't getting anything like that on the open market - or at least not from buyers who could in any way be trusted.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Aye, fair enough, but they clearly weren't getting anything like that on the open market - or at least not from buyers who could in any way be trusted.

Sorry my post wasn't meant as a dig - just saying that the money the BoD eventually got was based on the money they put in. To the best of my knowledge none of the outgoing BoD are rich and I wouldn't have wanted to see them leave with nothing but they did have the kudos of being custodians of the club for 20 years and they were lucky enough to get their initial money back. 

They dodged the old trap of how to make a small fortune from a football club...........

Spoiler

............start with a large one.

Edited by btb