The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, McG said:

Said it weeks ago, if McInnes goes to Rangers then Aberdeen will at least want to speak to JR, he has admirers on the dons board.

Chairman has backed JR and he got an improved deal after knocking back Dundee, hopefully he at least see's the season out with us but if he leaves then I expect Fowler to take over.

I would be more than happy with Fowler taking over, TBH. 

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 16:46, David W said:

Danny Lennon is the new Clyde manager. With hindsight how is his time at St Mirren now viewed?

Erratic.

Mind you when the shit was hitting the fan in his first and last seasons he  had the balls & the nous to change formation/tactics and drop players like Grainger & Harkins till he hit a successful formation - on both occasions shitfesting our way to safety something I wish his successors had been able to do.

Took us to our highest league finish in a generation and we played some nice football at times especially in the first "quarter" of his second season (2011/12) but for the bulk of the time his sides were about as exciting as Gus MacPherson's.

Mind you he's a legend for the 2013 League Cup campaign with the 3-2 s/f win over Celtic being another highspot in terms of performance. 

After 4 seasons opinion was sharply divided about whether he should get a new contract but just about all Saints fans agree the way he was "let go" was shabby.

Wish him & Clyde all the best unless we meet in the Scottish Cup!

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

How's McShane been doing for you guys?

I like him a lot and think he is underrated, needs to find a bit more consistency though as he can blow hot and cold, cracking strike on him as well.

He has been a good signing.

6 hours ago, btb said:

Word is Harry Davis is fit and in contention for a place on Saturday! :thumsup2

I had visions , at the start of the season , that we might be playing catch up when we eventually had him back fit. To have him back when we're still top is great . He's the best defender in the division by some distance and will notch a few for us too , something we've lacked from our defenders so far this season. He was JRs top signing target during the summer  and even he said that we wouldn't have got him if he had been fully fit as League 1 clubs in England were queuing up for him ! If we get the rest of the season out of him he'll be a more important player for us than even Morgan is !

23 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Any news on McKenzie?

Heard some unfortunate rumours regarding his health - hopefully that's all it is!

I've heard that it's all rumours about his health. He injured his Achilles in a friendly against Sevco, he'll be back when properly fit.

30 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Signed on loan in January and played until March when he injured his knee, been out since then but signed for us in the Summer.

A good few months with no pre-season it might takehim a while to get match fit..

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Just needs game time now completed a late preseason.  

Yup - from the OS.......

It was weird being back on the pitch," he told stmirren.com. "But it was nice to get 60 minutes under my belt in a tough game, it was what I needed really.

"Even putting my shin pads on felt weird. But I'm delighted to be back out on the pitch and getting minutes and hopefully I can just keep building it up.

"You work hard to get fit and when it comes around it's a nice feeling. It's nice to feel a part of the team now rather than in the gym stuck away from the lads. It's good to be involved in every day training and playing some games now. 

"I felt rusty as you'd expect but I think it is all about minutes at this stage. It was a vital 60 minutes for me and I came through unscathed. I felt fine and there was no reaction to the knee so all positive really. 

The 25 year-old isn't sure if he'll be called upon for this weekend's Scottish Cup tie, but says he'll be ready to go if the manager picks him in the squad. 

That's up to the gaffer, I don't know," he said. "I'll use this week to train as normal and try and prepare as best as I can for Saturday.

"If I get picked I get picked, if I don't then I don't. That's purely up to the gaffer, but I feel ready."

Nice to see the concern shown by one of our aromatic friends from down the road, though!

4 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Signed on loan in January and played until March when he injured his knee, been out since then but signed for us in the Summer.

Describing a knee dislocation as an 'injury' is, while accurate, a hell of an understatement :lol:

Can't wait til he's back. 

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Describing a knee dislocation as an 'injury' is, while accurate, a hell of an understatement :lol:

Can't wait til he's back. 

I've actually done it and can confirm I am understating it :lol: not a nice feeling to look down and see your knee pointing west when the rest of your leg is pointing north.

13 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

I've actually done it and can confirm I am understating it :lol: not a nice feeling to look down and see your knee pointing west when the rest of your leg is pointing north.

:o

I've done my shoulder - 13 times - and finally had corrective surgery last year. But the idea of dislocating my knee or hip really turns my stomach.