The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Possibly, though with the benefit of hindsight, some of those fees we splashed around were a little rich, given what happened to the game (and St Mirren) in the 90s.

I don't think we actually paid the reported 400k for Stickroth around the time of the early 90's .....:rolleyes:

On 30/05/2017 at 14:08, virginton said:

Unlike Saint Mirren, Morton are actually on a discernable upward trajectory year on year. Which is why you finished a point beneath us in your first season at this level and thirteen points behind us this season. 

Thanks for playing anyway. 

1495909650958.jpg.1fd7fb6958fb533262f67210a92ecb8b.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

'Jack' couldn't give a toss about 'the Saints' and if he wants to manage Dundee there's nothing that your club can do to stop him. 

Hard lines. 

1495909650958.jpg.1fd7fb6958fb533262f67210a92ecb8b.jpg

On 30/05/2017 at 14:22, virginton said:

Clearly you don't know what the word 'trajectory' means, hence your 'confusion'.

No you're not agreeing with me, because I didn't actually state that. You're in fact agreeing with NorthBank and the poster above. It's just a shame then that none of you understand what 'trajectory' means, or simply can't cope with the fact that Saint Mirren's current trajectory points only to further, abject failure. So hardly the clincher that's going to keep your mercenary boss from knocking back an offer from a bigger top-flight club then. 

Safe to say that this has turned into an absolute disaster for you. 

On 30/05/2017 at 14:33, virginton said:

^^^ verge of tears

Pointing out the fact that your club is not on an 'upward trajectory' is not 'trolling' chump. Your delusional fantasy claims simply don't actually stand up to scrutiny on a multi-club forum. Gutted for you.

Alright, virgin mate? How's it going? You were saying something about the trajectories of our clubs. You said we were heading for abject failure. You were on a 'discernable upward trajectory'.

How's that working out for you? 

#trajectory 

Alright, virgin mate? How's it going? You were saying something about the trajectories of our clubs. You said we were heading for abject failure. You were on a 'discernable upward trajectory'.
How's that working out for you? 
#trajectory 

Blatant trolling Coventry Saint.....10/10.

Keep it up.

I'd not seen this before - five Record journos have to pick their best XI from Scottish football, but only one player allowed from each club.

Lewis Morgan makes four of the five teams. :wub:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/best-scottish-football-xi-just-11330289

I'd not seen this before - five Record journos have to pick their best XI from Scottish football, but only one player allowed from each club.
Lewis Morgan makes four of the five teams. :wub:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/best-scottish-football-xi-just-11330289

To have Morgan in 4 teams but Cammy Smith in none is just weird

6a0f822f0fc06e5556abf857ff1151d7.jpg

Ian Murray is being linked as our new 'Head of Academy' with us trying to meet the requirements for Project Brave. I know he was an utter disaster with you lot, but were there any redeeming features?

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ian Murray is being linked as our new 'Head of Academy' with us trying to meet the requirements for Project Brave. I know he was an utter disaster with you lot, but were there any redeeming features?

Not really any redeeming features, but maybe some excuses? We were an utter basket case of a club. Board wanted out and we were completely rudderless. It was probably too big a job for Murray at that time.

Even as he was appointed, we were being warned that Jack Ross was the brains behind the success at Dumbarton. I think we can see that was probably the case.

That said, I'd like to think he has something to offer full time football, and maybe a development role at a big club* would be beneficial for everyone involved.

* or Dundee! Heyoooooooo!

9 hours ago, Fony Titz said:

To have Morgan in 4 teams but Cammy Smith in none is just weird

I guess Lewis is this season's official Hot Property. It's inevitable after the national team's latest (in)glorious failure that people want to start to look at what's coming through next in terms of young players, and Morgan fits the bill. People were paying attention anyway, but Brendan Rodgers' comments have pretty much doubled his quoted value. Interest from proper teams down south - Blues and Forest - won't do us any harm either. We're now in the incredible position of teams potentially being prepared to pay huge amounts (huge for us), and potentially even loan him back to the end of the season, just so they can have him in the summer.

I can't remember the last time there was this much genuine interest in a Saints player - and when you consider we've lost McLean and McGinn in recent years, that's really surprising.

58 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Even as he was appointed, we were being warned that Jack Ross was the brains behind the success at Dumbarton. I think we can see that was probably the case.

We warned that he needed a decent assistant. Jack Ross was there long before Murray and was part of the management team which saw us so far out of our depth in this division. It wasn't until Murray arrived that things drastically changed. To say it was all down to Ross is false IMO, regardless of the fact that Ross is doing a better job now.

I'm sure Murray will have learned a lot in Norway and will probably do a decent job with youth teams.

We warned that he needed a decent assistant. Jack Ross was there long before Murray and was part of the management team which saw us so far out of our depth in this division. It wasn't until Murray arrived that things drastically changed. To say it was all down to Ross is false IMO, regardless of the fact that Ross is doing a better job now.
I'm sure Murray will have learned a lot in Norway and will probably do a decent job with youth teams.

It should be added that Jack Ross was also given the reins for a few games and overseen a couple of drubbings including a 5-1 pumping off Morton and a 4-0 pumping off Dunfermline as well as a 4-3 defeat at home to Airdrie. Although he did bag us our first win, albeit it was away at Cowden.

Whilst our style of play changed after Ross left for Hearts Murray still comfortably kept us up without him. Incredibly harsh to give him all the credit. It was more a case of Murray working better with an assistant who isn't a 'yes man' with ideas of their own to implement. Spalding was not that man.

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It should be added that Jack Ross was also given the reins for a few games and overseen a couple of drubbings including a 5-1 pumping off Morton and a 4-0 pumping off Dunfermline as well as a 4-3 defeat at home to Airdrie. Although he did bag us our first win, albeit it was away at Cowden.

Whilst our style of play changed after Ross left for Hearts Murray still comfortably kept us up without him. Incredibly harsh to give him all the credit. It was more a case of Murray working better with an assistant who isn't a 'yes man' with ideas of their own to implement. Spalding was not that man.

OK, cheers guys, thanks for clarifying.

I guess Lewis is this season's official Hot Property. It's inevitable after the national team's latest (in)glorious failure that people want to start to look at what's coming through next in terms of young players, and Morgan fits the bill. People were paying attention anyway, but Brendan Rodgers' comments have pretty much doubled his quoted value. Interest from proper teams down south - Blues and Forest - won't do us any harm either. We're now in the incredible position of teams potentially being prepared to pay huge amounts (huge for us), and potentially even loan him back to the end of the season, just so they can have him in the summer.
I can't remember the last time there was this much genuine interest in a Saints player - and when you consider we've lost McLean and McGinn in recent years, that's really surprising.

Lewis's performances at U21 have made people take notice. Only Championship player and best performer in the 4 games he played outshining £15m Oliver Burke. I think it is these performances that have made managers realise what a talent he is.