The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Hi guys, who did you partner with Kyle Hutton during his brief (and painful) spell last season?

Stevie Mallan was the other central midfielder in the early part of the season, playing beside Kyle nearly ruined him. 

I think our first game we had Kyle playing wide right with Rocco Quin and Mallan in the centre against Livingston in the league cup. Rocco got injured during that game and Kyle moved central. 

Kyle ended up getting hooked at HT in our first defeat to Morton and replaced with an untried teenager, Kyle Maggenis who deservedly kept him out the team from that point on. 

Hutton is an awful player. 

3 hours ago, DumbartonBud said:

Stevie Mallan was the other central midfielder in the early part of the season, playing beside Kyle nearly ruined him. 

I think our first game we had Kyle playing wide right with Rocco Quin and Mallan in the centre against Livingston in the league cup. Rocco got injured during that game and Kyle moved central. 

Kyle ended up getting hooked at HT in our first defeat to Morton and replaced with an untried teenager, Kyle Maggenis who deservedly kept him out the team from that point on. 

Hutton is an awful player. 

So you would say that the performances of his midfield partner (even a quality player like Mallan) was impacted by playing alongside him, then?

You see he's played alongside Stuart Carswell (one of our best players last season), Craig Barr (one of our best players this season) and David Wilson (meh) this season, and all three of them have put in their worst performances in a Sons' shirt when they've partnered him.  I drew a link on our match thread from last night, but wasn't sure if it was purely down to me not rating Hutton, and looking to blame him for everything.

31 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

So you would say that the performances of his midfield partner (even a quality player like Mallan) was impacted by playing alongside him, then?

You see he's played alongside Stuart Carswell (one of our best players last season), Craig Barr (one of our best players this season) and David Wilson (meh) this season, and all three of them have put in their worst performances in a Sons' shirt when they've partnered him.  I drew a link on our match thread from last night, but wasn't sure if it was purely down to me not rating Hutton, and looking to blame him for everything.

The thought of Stuart Carswell and Kyle Hutton playing in the same midfield together makes me instinctively roll up into a ball and rock back and forth for a bit...

30 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I didn't seen any evidence to the contrary when he played for us, regarding the emboldened part of your post.

No doubt he'll score against us next week................................

Is Rocco Quinn finished? He was a decent player for St Mirren, but was just never fit last season. Even when he was playing it was clear that injuries and fitness were troubling him and he rarely lasted more than 65 mins. Usually it was him going off that caused our midfield to collapse in the dark times of last season before McGinn signed. If he could ever get fit again he'd be an excellent signing for a team like Dumbarton. He's a much better player than Hutton anyway.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

It's like that Simpsons episode when the teachers point out that not only are Bart's grades poor, but he actually drags down the grades of those who sit near him.

On 07/10/2017 at 13:30, FTOF said:

I didn't seen any evidence to the contrary when he played for us, regarding the emboldened part of your post.

No doubt he'll score against us next week................................

You reckon Hutton would manage to face himself toward the opposition goal ? First of all, he would need to stop passisng sideways and backwards or just losing possession in critical areas of the pitch. 

He might score an own goal, that would be glorious.

Aye, he's shite. Can't believe he's got a gig in this league again. I expected to see him at someone like East Kilbride, or a team in the juniors.

26 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Aye, he's shite. Can't believe he's got a gig in this league again. I expected to see him at someone like East Kilbride, or a team in the juniors.

I suspect he'll do the usual route for players when they leave us:

Clyde, Glasgow Junior club, Clydebank, Provincial Junior club, retirement.

6 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

You reckon Hutton would manage to face himself toward the opposition goal ? First of all, he would need to stop passisng sideways and backwards or just losing possession in critical areas of the pitch. 

He might score an own goal, that would be glorious.

I wouldn't even mind if he'd just pass sideways, but most of the time he just passes out of play, or gets tackled whilst he tries in vain to somehow wangle the ball onto his right foot.

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I suspect he'll do the usual route for players when they leave us:

Clyde, Glasgow Junior club, Clydebank, Provincial Junior club, retirement.

I wouldn't even mind if he'd just pass sideways, but most of the time he just passes out of play, or gets tackled whilst he tries in vain to somehow wangle the ball onto his right foot.

I must admit that I was surprised that wee Stevie signed Hutton. By anyone's reckoning his next step was more likely to have been down a few levels to league 2 or the juniors. 

Aitken does have a very good reputation for bringing in players who perhaps haven't done it elsewhere, but he's given them a platform at the sons to show that they can still do it. 

In Huttons case he's probably only playing due to injuries or loss of form from better players, as he is shall we say of very limited ability.

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I must admit that I was surprised that wee Stevie signed Hutton. By anyone's reckoning his next step was more likely to have been down a few levels to league 2 or the juniors. 

Aitken does have a very good reputation for bringing in players who perhaps haven't done it elsewhere, but he's given them a platform at the sons to show that they can still do it. 

In Huttons case he's probably only playing due to injuries or loss of form from better players, as he is shall we say of very limited ability.

Hutton had another offer from a full time club in this league, if he wasn't signing for us to play most weeks due to Grant Gallagher being out long term he would be sitting on Dunfermlines bench. Astounding really. 

You've got to wonder what the Queens fans saw that absolutely nobody else has.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Hutton had another offer from a full time club in this league, if he wasn't signing for us to play most weeks due to Grant Gallagher being out long term he would be sitting on Dunfermlines bench. Astounding really. 

You've got to wonder what the Queens fans saw that absolutely nobody else has.

I'm absolutely astounded that the Pars would consider signing him when you think of just how dreadful he was last season. 

I think opinions were firmly divided amongst the Queens support about Hutton, but overall he's a very poor player considering his background and experience of playing at an old firm club. Albeit mostly in the lower divisions. Did he not start in a European game for the dead club on one ocassion.

The mind boggles.

18 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Anyone confirm we have signed Robbo Leitch released by Burnley. 

Well, he himself tweeted that he had signed. I know literally nothing about him, beyond what Google has just told me.

19, left Well to go to Burnley last summer. Must have something if they felt he was worth signing. In McAllister and Mallan, we've just sent two great players who have yet to feature at a lower level than Burnley play at, so fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Well, he himself tweeted that he had signed. I know literally nothing about him, beyond what Google has just told me.

19, left Well to go to Burnley last summer. Must have something if they felt he was worth signing. In McAllister and Mallan, we've just sent two great players who have yet to feature at a lower level than Burnley play at, so fingers crossed.

Where does he play - and I don't want any answers along the lines of 'Paisley'!

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

7 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Where does he play - and I don't want any answers along the lines of 'Paisley'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaEawcOXkW8