The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Well done to wee Gav for his performance last week, getting into team of the week and a candidate for player of the round. Looks like he's enjoying life in Paisley and has had a good start to the season for you. 

Special mention to a guy who has been overlooked a bit, also for me to put my hands up and admit I'm wrong in my appraisal of him. 

Ian McShane concerned me that he was far too similar to McGinn and not quite as good. In the last 3 or 4 weeks, he's changed from an all out holding mid to more of a deep lying playmaker and what a difference. Wonderful to watch when he's got the ball at his feet, skillful, composed, his deliveries have improved massively as well. 

Oh and another top finish. Keep it going Lovejoy. 

Edited by djchapsticks

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Nine goals in 11 games now for Super Gavin Reilly. 

I had my doubts. I was disappointed we didn't sign Loy.

Very happy to be wrong on both counts.

Gav :wub:

Seriously, whether he gets the Buchanan goal or not, have a look back at his pass to set Morgan free for the first goal. It's fucking phenomenal. 

As was his work in the build up to Cammy Smith goal where he rode about 3 quite hefty challenges. 

His only blotch was getting it set on a plate by Morgan at 4-2 and not putting his foot through it, dillydallyed a bit and got caught out. 

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, McG said:

Big shout out to Buchanan and Ian McShane who have been superb these last few weeks, delighted for them.

Big mention for Gavin Reilly as well, what a signing he has been.

Aside from the 9 goals, I reckon Reilly has made about another 6 or 7 assists. He certainly got one yesterday, maybe 2 but he didn't know much about Cammy Smith's even if he did do a lot of the hard work for it. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Aside from the 9 goals, I reckon Reilly has made about another 6 or 7 assists. He certainly got one yesterday, maybe 2 but he didn't know much about Cammy Smith's even if he did do a lot of the hard work for it. 

Reilly's workrate is brilliant, doesn't give defenders a minutes peace, his touch to play in Morgan for the 1st goal was fantastic.

Edited by McG

13 hours ago, Paul Cicero said:

Stewart Keane reminds me of a poor man's Gavin Reilly.

I used to love going to meetings in 2005-6 down south and tell them about the Saints forward line of Sutton and Keane Pissed them off when they found out it was John and Stewart and not Chris and Robbie:whistle

And from our glorious leader ...

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/club-news/1157-chairman-s-update-3

with two interesting points

1 new strip for Saturday to commemorate our 140th anniversary.

2 and strong rumours that Super Lewis may be signing a new contract (not just from the Chairman's report)

Edited by NorthBank

Interesting stuff regarding Morgan. According to someone on BAWA there is a new deal going on the table for Morgan that is very much geared towards him moving on for a relatively modest fee (presumably higher than the 250k that Burton offered)  unless there's several clubs in for him which would be fair enough,  I suppose. 

He's a talent that we can never realistically hold. Just hopefully when it does happen we're well recompensed for someone as talented as he is. 

A beautiful rumour but I don't get the impression that Morgan's agent(s) are the most forthcoming.

I don't see why we can't put in place an agreement similar to Kenny McLean's and promise him a move should any materialise over a certain value. I'd be looking for over £250,000 as well. Championship clubs down south are coming into even further amounts of ridiculous money with this new TV deal. I'd hope we don't sell him for a pittance.

58 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

And from our glorious leader ...

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/club-news/1157-chairman-s-update-3

with two interesting points

1 new strip for Saturday to commemorate our 140th anniversary.

2 and strong rumours that Super Lewis may be signing a new contract (not just from the Chairman's report)

We are some club now. 

If only GLS had been given the opportunity to steer the club after the league cup win. 

Ah well. Even if we don't go up this season, I don't think it'll be far away. After the misery of basically every season since we appointed TC, this feels so good.