The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

32 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Been an eventful few weeks since I've been away emoji33.png.

Looks like the cardigan is working wonders again. Must admit after seeing the fixtures and the way the squad was shaping up during pre season I didn't think we'd take 9 from 12.

JR is just emoji7.png.

Did you hear the hunger in Jack Ross's interview regarding going for promotion it's rubbing off onto the squad.

Did you hear the hunger in Jack Ross's interview regarding going for promotion it's rubbing off onto the squad.

Yep his passion and drive is rubbing off onto the squad and onto the fans. The last time the fans were this close to the squad must be the 99/00 season?

He has transformed our home record too, we must be in the best home form since moving into the stadium? Can't remember losing many home league games since January?

Great to hear Buchanan finding his feet now, and McGinn and McShane clicking. Will GMacK, Davies or Magennis walk straight back into the team? Would have been unthinkable weeks ago.

Hibs knock back a bid from Nottingham Forest for John McGinn. 

Forest expected to come back in this week. Apparently Hibs are looking for 4 or 5 million for him. 

Looks like we finally might see the benefits of a good sell on clause. 

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Lads, just to say, you were right about Kyle Hutton.

:(

Yep, I feel for you mate. He's painful to watch at times, so slow to move, slow on the ball, slow to make decisions.I dare say he must have some qualities as he won QoS player of the year only a couple of years back, but he was totally inept for us.

Compare that to our team at the minute, high tempo, closing players down, running at opponents. And we still have Magennis to come back who has a brilliant engine on him. Our current crop have their limitations for sure, but work rate and tempo isn't one of them.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Forest expected to come back in this week. Apparently Hibs are looking for 4 or 5 million for him.

They surely won't get that for him, not that I don't think he is either worth that (in the English inflated market - probably more!) or will be worth that at some point, I can't see Warburton going higher than a couple of million as he knows the level the Scottish market is at.

Not sure what a couple of million would give us but at Championship level a few tens of thousands can make a big difference.

Edit: Just listened to the radio, the bid was £750k of which we would get £225. So, what.. 33% then?

Edited by Buddist Monk

48 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

They surely won't get that for him, not that I don't think he is either worth that (in the English inflated market - probably more!) or will be worth that at some point, I can't see Warburton going higher than a couple of million as he knows the level the Scottish market is at.

Not sure what a couple of million would give us but at Championship level a few tens of thousands can make a big difference.

Edit: Just listened to the radio, the bid was £750k of which we would get £225. So, what.. 33% then?

Really? 750k is ridiculously ambitious given Hibs knocked back a million from Ipswich out of hand about 6 weeks ago. 

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Really? 750k is ridiculously ambitious given Hibs knocked back a million from Ipswich out of hand about 6 weeks ago. 

Lennon was pushed on a figure in his post match comments, can't remember if he said it was "exactly" or "round about", but 750 was the figure. It was Richard Gordon (or whoever is Radio Scotland anchor today) that quoted the 225.

There were some Dumbarton fans on here who said that Gallacher was a better signing than Samson.

I never thought Gallacher was all that bad actually, would probably be a reasonable number 2 for most teams in the division.

We seen a very handy Gallacher play against us for Alloa, at the time I would've been happy with Gallacher over Samson tbh, he's not someone who's ever impressed me whereas Gallacher has.

Gallacher looks to have regressed massively. His decision making is absolutely woeful albeit he's a decent shot stopper. I suspect he will cost us a few points this season, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We seen a very handy Gallacher play against us for Alloa, at the time I would've been happy with Gallacher over Samson tbh, he's not someone who's ever impressed me whereas Gallacher has.

Gallacher looks to have regressed massively. His decision making is absolutely woeful albeit he's a decent shot stopper. I suspect he will cost us a few points this season, unfortunately.

He was given a fair crack at the whip with us. Jack gave him 10 games to cement his status as number one last season following Langfield gifting Dumbarton 3 points in Paisley and he squandered it badly. 

Samson gets a lot of unfair stick - quite often from our own support. OK he's been a bit of a journeyman, but he's spent most of his career playing in the top flight, been in Scotland squads, won a league cup.

Gallacher will never achieve any of that. Sometimes when a keeper is playing for a team under a lot of pressure they have plenty of oportunities to make saves and it can make them seem better than they are.

As I said before I don't think Gallacher is a bad keeper, but the suggestion he is (or was) better than Samson is laughable.

He was given a fair crack at the whip with us. Jack gave him 10 games to cement his status as number one last season following Langfield gifting Dumbarton 3 points in Paisley and he squandered it badly. 

We had a game a few weeks back where he picked up TWO back passes. He just makes some absolute mind boggling decisions. He looks to have zero confidence whatsoever.

The Gallacher I seen play against us for Alloa seemed composed and comanded his area. The complete opposite of what we've seen so far.