The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Confirmed. Meh.

If he was a direct replacement for Loy, then yeah I'd be worried, but Reilly and Sutton are currently our starting strikers. Ross Stewart is a good option off the bench, presume Duffy will be too. He's been in training for a few weeks now so there must be something about him that JR likes.

10 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Hey, anything is possible with our makeshift defence. 

Just pointing out, it's  quite a jump going from Loy to Duffy. You must be disappointed surely?  

I would have liked Loy as I saw him fit in well with our system over the last few months of last season.

Ryan I was open about but his display in the League Cup really put me off him - his football wasn't great but his attitude was dreadful. Graham has a decent pedigree and I would have taken him too - probably as a replacement for Sutton.

Duffy is an unknown to be honest. In 2001 we were offered Paul Ritchie at 31 who had played the previous few years in Hong Kong - everyone assumed he must be honking even though he was pretty good in a game for us as a trialist. Gus didn't sign him and he went to ICT instead and scored 47 goals in 103 appearances gaining them promotion. Some folk thought Stelios would be shit as he came from a team in Cyprus. However Cyprus now have three teams in the Europa Cup, one of which eliminated Aberdeen so is Cypriot football a lot better than Scottish football? Is Indian?

I have faith in JR - he hasn't made many mistakes in his signings so far so I'll give DD a chance but first choice would have been Loy but DD will be costing us a hell of a lot less.

Having seen Real Kashmir I would say that Indian football is of a much lower standard than it is over here. I know they weren't top tier, but they were fortunate to grab a draw with Forth Wanderers.

Cricket is the main sport over there, just as football is here.

That's not to say Duffy won't be a success, but the Scottish Championship will be a step up from the Indian league.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Duffy played for us against Elgin a few weeks back. He looked fat and unfit. He was also shite.

Look forward to him scoring against us in a few weeks then.

Fat ? that would be a concern as i remember him as stick thin any time he played up here previously.

Just seen this from our official site - fat ???????????????

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/1053-darryl-duffy-signs-for-st-mirren

Edited by Billy Jean King
Added link

20 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Fat ? that would be a concern as i remember him as stick thin any time he played up here previously.

Just seen this from our official site - fat ???????????????

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/1053-darryl-duffy-signs-for-st-mirren

He looked fat. He may well not be but he certainly seemed to struggle with general movement around the pitch and was blowing out of his arse pretty quickly.