The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I've got a horrible feeling he's about to be dragged out of retirement to play for another team that sits near the Clyde...

I still think he's got potential. You'd imagine you're his last-chance saloon, though, before he ends up playing somewhere totally gash like the Indian league or something.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I've got a horrible feeling he's about to be dragged out of retirement to play for another team that sits near the Clyde...

If you do end up with him I think he will still score goals - but will look totally disinterested and won't run about for you

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Duffy in, Sutton out imo.

Please send Sutton to us, I'll cover postage.

That's what I think is happening too. Strange move as we should only be letting Sutton go if we have someone who is as good, if not better, coming in and Duffy doesn't fit the bill for me.

Only thing I can think of is Sutton and Quinn going frees up cash for Duffy and another player. Otherwise I'm not impressed.

25 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I still think he's got potential. You'd imagine you're his last-chance saloon, though, before he ends up playing somewhere totally gash like the Indian league or something.

21 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

If you do end up with him I think he will still score goals - but will look totally disinterested and won't run about for you

It's the "potential" and "still think he'll score goals" that I can see tempting Aitken. He'd be totally uninspiring though.

Just now, lionel wickson said:

I thought Stevie had said that we 8nly had the budget for a loan signing?

That may be true, but given the lack of offers that appear to be landing at Shankland's door I doubt he'd cost too much.

But if we can only afford a loan player, Chris Kane will do...

I thought Stevie had said that we 8nly had the budget for a loan signing?

A loan signing would most likely cost just as much in wages as signing someone on a permanent deal. Unless someone is willing to loan us someone for a small percentage of their full wage, which I highly doubt.

As far as I'm aware we've been paying more towards loan signings in recent years than signed players. Stanton, Harvie, Lindsay and Thomson etc.

As for Shankland... meh. I'd take Sutton if he is being released but I imagine he will have better offers.

I'm absolutely OK with the signing as long as it's not at the expense of losing Sutton. 

He's been a bit of a Nomad, but then so has Billy Mehmet who several on BAWA have been screaming for the return of. Difference is, he has scored more goals than Billy. 

I'm hoping this is finally our retribution for pumping Paul Ritchie (another who followed a similar career path) out after a trial for being too old then he went to Inverness and fired them to the title. 

Edited by djchapsticks