The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

I'm in the maybe aye maybe no camp after seeing the link on BAWA that he has missed 50 games in the last two years due to injury. It's a big gamble taking him on. His skill is there we know that. 

To be fair, he missed 9 games in the 2013/14 season with I think the same injury he has now, but on the other knee, and missed 28 games in the 2015/16 season with knee ligament damage on the other knee. Other than that there's only this current injury - nothing recorded before that first one.

It's almost certain that he'll recover from this injury the way he recovered the first time he suffered it on the other knee, but there are obviously no guarantees. Everything is always a bit of a gamble.

I'd do this on Saturday unless we sign an amazing match-ready striker before then.
-----------Samson
Irvine-Baird-McK-Stelios
----McGinn-McShane
O'Keefe - Smith - Morgan
----------Reilly (maybe even Sutton)

I wonder if O'Keefe is why we've not bothered signing a wide player so far.

Exactly what I would go for with Morgan and O'Keefe switching sides throughout.

Hearts right back Liam Smith being linked as coming in on loan. Don't know a whole lot about the lad but I know that full back cover is an issue with Eckersley being injured. Smith being a RB, Eckersley being a LB and Stelios and Irvine being somewhat changeable in terms of side they play would make a lot more sense than the setup we have just now. 

52 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Hearts right back Liam Smith being linked as coming in on loan. Don't know a whole lot about the lad but I know that full back cover is an issue with Eckersley being injured. Smith being a RB, Eckersley being a LB and Stelios and Irvine being somewhat changeable in terms of side they play would make a lot more sense than the setup we have just now. 

Not sure we need 4 full backs and 4 centre halfs if Davis comes in plus the young lad White has played full back pre season. 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Would rather see us sign a striker and a centre-half (Davis or someone else) rather than another fullback.

To be honest, I reckon the full back is on top of the Forward (who remains a priority) and Davis.

We're definitely caught short if there is another injury to either Irvine or Stelios so this makes a bit of sense.

1 hour ago, DumbartonBud said:

Not sure we need 4 full backs and 4 centre halfs if Davis comes in plus the young lad White has played full back pre season. 

I reckon the arrival of Davis will see Whyte go out on loan. Not sure he's impressed at full back in pre-season which is no real surprise given that he is primarily a holding midfield player who can shift to centre half.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I reckon the arrival of Davis will see Whyte go out on loan. Not sure he's impressed at full back in pre-season which is no real surprise given that he is primarily a holding midfield player who can shift to centre half.

Jack rates the boy Whyte and knows what he's capable of, that's probably why he was given a run out at full back against Dundee but that's not really his position.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

Jack rates the boy Whyte and knows what he's capable of, that's probably why he was given a run out at full back against Dundee but that's not really his position.

Yeah, agreed. His comments about young Connor O'Keefe were in a similar vein that he wants to see the young lad having a bit of belief. I can certainly see this being similar to Lewis Morgans first season where O'Keefe is introduced sporadically.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, agreed. His comments about young Connor O'Keefe were in a similar vein that he wants to see the young lad having a bit of belief. I can certainly see this being similar to Lewis Morgans first season where O'Keefe is introduced sporadically.

O'Keefe looks another very good prospect, he might even start today if the likes of Hilson isn't fit.

Kirpatrick is another one who might benefit from starting just to see what he can produce.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

To be honest, I reckon the full back is on top of the Forward (who remains a priority) and Davis.

We're definitely caught short if there is another injury to either Irvine or Stelios so this makes a bit of sense.

We might be a bit short, however I can't see Hearts loaning us a guy just to provide cover for more experienced players who are likely to be starting. Would rather we rely on someone from our own under-20s to provide cover/back-up for the guys we have in that position.

Striker is the priority for me at the moment but it all seems to have gone a bit quiet on that front.

For me the loan looks like Ross might have worries about Irvine. He was great the end of last season, looked a little lacking in the games so far in this one. I'm sure he'll come good (again) but happy to have cover. Would Ross have worked with him at Hearts?

Striker is still one I'd like to see added. Reilly I guess will add goals, how many I have no idea. Sutton, either the way he's been played or just time taking it's toll, I don't see contributing much this season. Stewart looks like he could be good if given game time but he does look raw. Not seen Hilson yet, thought I had but I believe it was O'Keefe. Not sure what O'Keefe's preferred position is. Looked bright though.

Davis might be brought in, not sure if it's a "done deal" yet, but you'd imagine you'd be waiting until the end of September before he gets up to speed. I've got my doubts about Buchanan just now but, like Irvine, it might just take him a few games to get up to speed, but I'd definitely be tempted to play a combo of McKenzie and Baird.

Samson looks pretty much the player that left us, and in many ways that's good, but I'd also like to see (the other) Stewart getting a run - perhaps in the game against Airdrie as I hate to say it but I feel that might be a "dead rubber" (I hope not).