The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

16 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Indeed. The only worry I have is about his knee. His ability alone is certainly not in any question and you have to feel that if all things were OK with his knee, he'd have found a club by now. 

He didn't have many options when he came on loan to us to be fair, and an injured player is always a risk, but possibly less of a risk to a team which knows the injury and will have detailed info on his recovery.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I would second that. If he's fit he'll stroll this league.

No, no, no.

You're not playing the game. You're not allowed to say you have one of the best players in the league unless they play for Falkirk. You must know the rules by now!

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No, no, no.

You're not playing the game. You're not allowed to say you have one of the best players in the league unless they play for Falkirk. You must know the rules by now!

My post had nothing to do with Falkirk. I was genuinely interested why such a big claim could be made about somebody who only made 9 appearences for St Mirren and played the first half of the season at the 17th placed team in League Two. If he's impressed in that short period and St Mirren fans are happy with the signing then fair enough, but it's still a big shout.

1 hour ago, Luther G Presley said:

Based on the fact he just will be!

Based on the fact that our superb run coincided with his arrival in the Jan window. He was in the last quarter the outstanding centre back along with Gary Mac at this level. If he's fit then he'll stroll it.

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Based on the fact that our superb run coincided with his arrival in the Jan window. He was in the last quarter the outstanding centre back along with Gary Mac at this level. If he's fit then he'll stroll it.

You signed half a new team in Jan, so I'm not sure you can use the upturn in results as proof alone that he's 'one of, if not the best in the league'.

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Pished breeks season over on B&W army. :lol:

We were shite tonight but FFS. Some are comparing that to the absolute worst of Rae which is ridiculous chat.

Aye typical Saints reaction to every bad result. Don't know why some people thought we had some divine right to turn up and win tonight. That was an organised Livi side. They won't score many and didn't create much tonight but giving them an early goal to hang on to was going to make things very tough. Apparently it's all Samson's fault :lol:

We didn't play well, but the tactics are wrong and surely Ross will realise that. Cammy Smith needs to be on right not Ross Stewart, who is still developing but is clearly an attacker, not a winger. Reilly cannot be up top on his own to win balls against 6ft plus defenders. McGinn and McShane's didn't work tonight, couldn't pick up second balls enough but might be because neither has had much game time together. 

I think the right hand side of our team will be the thorn in our side this season. Looked out of balance on Saturday, Stewart has potential but in this league you need to have a strict shape and structure to your team, especially away from home. 

Will be interesting to see how we are lining up come the end of August. JR will be using these games as a learning curve, these signings will take a while to bed in, especially the part time guys.