The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

16 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fair enough, and I'm not :P

Not seen the team anywhere. People saying it was 'full' of trialists but I wonder if that's damage limitation a bit. Honestly no clue which first teamers, if any, were playing.

The world has ended did you not know. Find it incredible there panic buttons being pressed in a closed door game to give players a trial lol

7 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

With no disrespect, St Mirren should be beating the likes of Dunfermline & QOS in transfer dealings this year.

Perhaps QOS but Dunfermline are fairly similarly sized to us and I'd imagine offer about the same wages. 

13 minutes ago, McG said:

We beat off the likes of Dunfermline and QOS to McShane's signature, brilliant signing by the club.

We shouldn't even be in direct competition with those teams for signings, never mind being delighted that we've nicked someone from under their noses.

Just now, flyingscot said:

Perhaps QOS but Dunfermline are fairly similarly sized to us and I'd imagine offer about the same wages. 

Dunfermline tried very hard to get him and offered more money but he wanted to play for JR and link up with the likes of Reilly again seemingly.

We shouldn't even be in direct competition with those teams for signings, never mind being delighted that we've nicked someone from under their noses.

We were a mid table team the first season after relegation and avoided relegation last season by a baw hair.

We don't have the right to be lording it over any team in this division, well apart from Morton [emoji38].

4 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I know the name but can't really remember much about him.

Hopefully County fans can give a bit of info about him.

If you read the last few pages of the big Queens thread you'll see our somewhat mixed opinions in there.

13 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I know the name but can't really remember much about him.

Hopefully County fans can give a bit of info about him.

Disappointed he's signed for you. For me that's a great signing. I was hoping he would stay at County and win his place back to be honest.

A player who very much split our support. He came through our youth setup and got a few games at a teenager but got two very bad hip / groin injuries and was out for over a year. Allan Johnston released him after he went a year with only 1 appearance but offered him training facilities for the following pre-season. McShane was in training with us but on trial with Airdrie when Jim McIntyre took over and immediately saw a player in him. Persuaded the Board to free some funds to keep him here and persuaded McShane to stay. He was in our first team by November and a fixture by the second half of the season. Had an outstanding second season under James Fowler (spot the connection again?) although we turned down several bids from Ross County in the January window after McIntyre had gone there. He was eventually allowed to move on in the summer.

Took him a while to establish himself at County but from the second half of his first season there to the first half of his second season he was a regular in the team and given man of the match by some sources in their League Cup Final win over Hibs. Lost his place this season due to persistent injury and never got it back once back to fitness. I had been told he was likely to go to Dunfermline. Didn't know about St Mirren's interest but with Fowler there it's no surprise.

He's a player comfortable on the ball and happy to take it in with opponents around him. His control and passing is excellent. He's not afraid to try things though and that's what is best about him but also splits opinions. He'll give the ball away more than most midfielders because he will go for the defence splitting pass more often than most. He's creatively minded. He's got a decent free kick on him but his delivery from corners is very hit and miss. When Chris Mitchell dropped out of our side though McShane was left hitting the corners to mixed effect and a lot of our support seemingly can't forgive that. I doubt he was taking them for County and he wouldn't have been taking them for us if we had anyone better. It took a long time before many could see why McIntyre had put him in the team but I think most of those who didn't rate him highly realised more what we were missing when he had gone (though palmy_cammy isn't a fan!). We haven't really replaced him since, though Tapping might be able to do it if he got a run of being fit.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

He doesn't tackle, doesn't score, can't pass, isn't especially quick and his set-pieces are awful.  I've simply never been able to understand the hype, or what he brings to a team.

The kind of player you realise is playing 20 minutes into the game.