The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

57 minutes ago, Young gun said:

Kyle out for 2-3 months so maybe short term contract 

I think Miller is more of a defensively minded player than Magennis.

I could be wrong though.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I may be wrong but I'm sure Duffy wanted him to stay and offered him a new deal but chose to go to Livingston for regular football. Not sure if he played much for them right enough. I was very optimistic when we signed him as the sons fans raved about him. Just didn't turn out to be the right move in the end. 

FTOF is right, we are desperately short in the middle of midfield, at least until Magennis comes back. Even if Miller isn't the right player, that's the right position.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Michael Miller, supposed to be playing as a trialist for us this evening.

Any Morton or Livingston fan care to comment on his potential or lack of it?

Was very good when he played for us last season, got injured fairly early on and was out for the rest of the season, would imagine it'll take him a few games to get back to himself. We offered him a deal but he never signed. 

Scored a goal of the season contender against Alloa but don't think anyone was filming it. 

He was a solid enough holding midfielder for us in League One but struggled there in the Championship, looking entirely like a defender being asked to play in midfield and not having the positional sense to do so.

IIRC Dumbarton fans felt his best position was centre back but he must have had about two games there in his two seasons with us. He was hopeless at full back and just didn't contribute enough in midfield. Although Duffy offered him a new contract, most of us were happy to see him go.

If he's being brought in as a stopgap to cover injuries he's certainly an improvement on Kyle Hutton and at only 22 he could improve, but I'd doubt he's good enough for a team with playoff aspirations if he ends up featuring regularly as a holding midfielder. 

Always felt Miller had bags of potential. Seems like a player where you don't really know where his best position is and in the end plays in different positions without getting settled.

Probably best for us in the defensive midfield position. Capable of having a go from distance and as mentioned scored a promotion winning goal for us from about 25 yards.

Bit of an average player where he won't be outstanding nor will he let you down.

29 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

To be fair I'm not covinced Josh Todd is remotely good enough for this level. Especially not for a team looking to push for the playoffs.

Seems that can be applied to many of our recent signings. 

To be fair I'm not covinced Josh Todd is remotely good enough for this level. Especially not for a team looking to push for the playoffs.

He didn't play much last season, I don't even remember him starting a game. Any time he came on he looked alright though.

We can't afford a massive squad of top end Championship players, so guys like Todd who can fill in and will give 100% when they get their chance are good players to have, I think.

21 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

He didn't play much last season, I don't even remember him starting a game. Any time he came on he looked alright though.

We can't afford a massive squad of top end Championship players, so guys like Todd who can fill in and will give 100% when they get their chance are good players to have, I think.

Absolutely spot on for almost all teams in this league. Duffy is good at identifying players who will fit into our squad and give 100% although they may not be the most technically gifted. Stef mccluskey and Michael Doyle being two recent examples. 

There's obviously exceptions to the rule such as Lawrence fucking shankland 

Absolutely spot on for almost all teams in this league. Duffy is good at identifying players who will fit into our squad and give 100% although they may not be the most technically gifted. Stef mccluskey and Michael Doyle being two recent examples. 

There's obviously exceptions to the rule such as Lawrence fucking shankland 

I liked Shankland when he was at us. I actually thought we should have played him more last season, and I thought he'd be a decent addition to Morton. I'm not sure what's happened to him.

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I liked Shankland when he was at us. I actually thought we should have played him more last season, and I thought he'd be a decent addition to Morton. I'm not sure what's happened to him.

I agree he didn't score ordinary goals,there's a player in there somewhere ,attitude is the problem